`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Young Prospects: Hold or Fold?

RE: 3 Young Prospects: Hold or Fold?
I'd probably hold off a while on all three.

The first I'd sell is Madrigal, but I'd do it right after his first taste of the majors. He's an excellent prospect, but he plays 2B and isn't going to hit for much - if any - power. He's raking at AA, and he's an OBP machine. He'll hit and he has an above average glove, but the lack of glamorous counting numbers and the non-premium position means after the initial hype dies down, the prices will likely drop.

Next up would be Rutschman. Sales are getting steam based on going #1, and he has the potential to be elite at his position. He just signed and will spend some time in the GCL before heading to short season A ball. If he performs at all this year, the hype will only increase. If he doesn't, it will only pause it, and not send it spiraling because he's got that potential. The only reason I wouldn't look to hang on until he hits MLB is that it's Elite, which don't get the respect they should.

As for Gorman - I'd hold. He's a ways off and just turned 19, but he's got good power and plays a "shinier" position. That could be one that in 2-3 years, even if you sold it for its current BV or slightly above, you'd likely have some seller's remorse.
Kepler

RE: 3 Young Prospects: Hold or Fold?
(06-27-2019, 11:12 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I don't play poker, but I would like comments or advice on whether to hold the cards of these 3 players or fold and get rid of them while the price is high.

None of these are PC or favorite team affiliated:

1. 2018 Bowman Chrome Draft Autographs #CDANG Nolan Gorman

2. 2018 Elite Extra Edition Contenders USA Collegiate Tickets Signatures #15 Adley Rutschman

3. 2018 Elite Extra Edition Contenders College Tickets Signatures Gold #15 Nick Madrigal

Also, all 3 were in personal box breaks so my investment is not measurable to determine if I have a windfall or not.

What do you think? (don't tell me to get rid of them and then make an offer...) Btw, I had 3 autos of Eloy Jimenez #/5, #/75, and #/100. I sold them when the White Sox picked him up from the Cubs, and the price at the time is the same now. I may regret it later if he continues to improve.
I'd definitely hold the Gorman, especially since it's a Bowman Chrome 1st Auto. The Cardinals tend to develop prospects really well, and he's already coming in with a ton of skills.