`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dear Panini...

RE: Dear Panini...
Fake News?? Is this an attempt to prove Topps collusion?
LOL
Great 'letter' and i was literally laughing out loud.
Too bad everything you wrote is true (sad but trueSad ), even if the 'letter' is fake.
Thanks
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-17-2018, 04:34 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Just curious...what Topps football product was so great other than Chrome (that had parallels upon parallels)? I see tons of people wishing for the same thing to return but I cannot see anything from pre-2017 that is nice looking.
Topps had about 60 years of often very good base football card designs before they started using the same design as Baseball for Base Topps

Topps Magic Football was the best retro product period

Topps Archives Football was great bringing back some of their extremely good 1950s to 1980s designs for modern players - on card autos were a nice touch in there

Topps also did a much better job at getting action shots for football cards than Panini ever has - Topps Prime Football, for example.

And really, its not a matter of Topps Football being so good - its that with the possible exception of Donruss, Panini has never figured out the entire "how to make a decent looking and sized base set" thing in football cards. Contenders football is perhaps their flagship product - and some of its recent designs have been downright hideous (and the Contenders base set is nearly worthless)

and that is even leaving aside the horror of finding a 150 Panini Points card in a product that cost more than $25 a pack

Edit: another really good product of Topps was Topps Platinum football - the rookie jersey patch autographs were especially good looking cards

Thanks Zep for the letter. I do not buy any Panini product because I do not like most of their designs nor the fact that there is no logo. To each their own as they say.

The parallels don't bother me, however I despise the use of the same photo across multiple products. That is my main beef. Really hate the "fake" error cards.

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Just hilarious.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Mike Trout had about a four-year run of Topps base cards where he was doing nothing but running or sliding.

It was like, OK, Topps, we get it, the guy hustles.

The 2016 base card was the worst, the straightaway shot of him jogging out of the dugout looking at the camera.

It was like one of those outtakes that you instantly delete off your camera or phone, LOL.

At least they finally got him holding a bat in 2018.

(08-23-2018, 03:05 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Mike Trout had about a four-year run of Topps base cards where he was doing nothing but running or sliding.
It was like, OK, Topps, we get it, the guy hustles.
The 2016 base card was the worst, the straightaway shot of him jogging out of the dugout looking at the camera.
It was like one of those outtakes that you instantly delete off your camera or phone, LOL.
At least they finally got him holding a bat in 2018.
Well, RJ, IMO There was a worse trout card ... a 2014 GQ where he looked positively goofy.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(08-25-2018, 09:53 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Well, RJ, IMO There was a worse trout card ... a 2014 GQ where he looked positively goofy.
Yes, another running shot. Which Archives also used on their All-Star insert of him that year.

Which is another topic on its own ...

(08-27-2018, 12:56 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yes, another running shot. Which Archives also used on their All-Star insert of him that year.

Which is another topic on its own ...
Topps used to reuse pictures from one year to the next when they were only doing one set. I think think 67 and 68 Killebrew are the same pic but just "zoomed" in more. Them having more sets each year just makes it more prevalent.

Is this thing on?

Hilarious letter!

(08-20-2018, 12:28 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: Edit: another really good product of Topps was Topps Platinum football - the rookie jersey patch autographs were especially good looking cards
ah, you misspelled Finest there Wink

(08-17-2018, 04:34 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Just curious...what Topps football product was so great other than Chrome (that had parallels upon parallels)? I see tons of people wishing for the same thing to return but I cannot see anything from pre-2017 that is nice looking.
Topps Finest is the finest!

(08-27-2018, 01:13 PM)shivelycore Wrote: Topps used to reuse pictures from one year to the next when they were only doing one set. I think think 67 and 68 Killebrew are the same pic but just "zoomed" in more. Them having more sets each year just makes it more prevalent.
And lazy. There are 162 games a year, I fail to see why any photo would ever be repeated.

Also, now that these companies are no longer shooting film and everything is digital, cost per frame is no longer an issue.