`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SC Question

SC Question
I really don't come on here as much as I used to but I have a question. How many of you consider yourself a super collector of a specific player? If so, how many different cards do you have of said player, and do you get fatigued with looking for the next great and best card to add to the collection?
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

RE: SC Question
I am torn about calling myself a super-collector for some players, as I heavily collect Gary Carter, Ivan Rodriguez, John Stockton, Karl Malone, and former UF player rookie year cards. However I don't obsess over getting every single card, and am more picky about certain ones based on price. That being said, I do consider myself a super-collector when it comes to Jedd Gyorko cards from 2010-2013. That is his rookie year and earlier. I pretty much obsess over getting every single card from that range. It is definitely tough to wait for one to pop up though, as I am down to just about 2 dozen cards (mostly numbered to 10 or less) along with the rest of the plates and other 1/1s. I wouldn't say that I get fatigued, but I definitely get annoyed when I miss out on a card I don't already have. It's rare, but it usually happens when a seller either has a super low asking price and someone else manages to snag it before I see it, or in a recent annoying case a seller had a super high asking price with best offer option. In that case I made an offer that the seller simply declined without countering, then they sold it two days later to someone for literally just a few dollars more. I am still pissed, as I would've gladly paid more than it sold for, but it only makes sense to go in low and counter back and forth until a deal is either made or a deal simply can't be made due to one side wanting more than the other is willing to pay. The only upside is that it was a card numbered to 10, so the odds are another will eventually come up for sale. The worst is missing out on a 1/1.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I completely understand how frustrating that is, lol. What's worse is when someone sells for less than what they declined from you. Those are the breaks tho.

For me, I'm a super collector of LeBron (but don't really pickup anything any longer). I recently looked to see what his stuff goes for and got excited and frustrated lol. Mainly because of what I already have, but also of what I could've picked up cheap at one point. I got tired of trying to find the next item to add to my collection. I've NEVER been a picky collector so I could find a lot of stuff for my collection easy.

Yea, if the seller had sold it for less than I had offered I would've been beyond peeved. I probably would've contacted the seller to inquire about his stupidity level.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I am a player collector but no where near a super collector for Ken Griffey Jr., I have 1,267 unique cards with 1,481 cards on my Griffey Want List. I have player collections of Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader with each I have @100-125 of each. In basketball I look for Iverson cards but I don't have a running count or watch list for his cards.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

(02-21-2017, 02:55 PM)djohn Wrote: Yea, if the seller had sold it for less than I had offered I would've been beyond peeved. I probably would've contacted the seller to inquire about his stupidity level.
Actually it happen years ago, but I did contact the seller. They thought that they could get more for the card so they held out. Less than a week later they sold it, lol. They told me that they were in a money bind. I asked the seller why they didn't contact me before they decided to sell for less? Which they said that they couldn't find my email traffic AngryHuh
(02-21-2017, 07:57 PM)jumper4d8 Wrote: I am a player collector but no where near a super collector for Ken Griffey Jr., I have 1,267 unique cards with 1,481 cards on my Griffey Want List. I have player collections of Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader with each I have @100-125 of each. In basketball I look for Iverson cards but I don't have a running count or watch list for his cards.
Do you get fatigued trying to find PC items?

If I was a single player collector I am sure I would be fatigued trying to find PC items. IMO it's more fun being a team collector, I really don't want 200 Larry Bird cards. I rather have a couple Birds, a couple Russell's, a couple Cousy's, a couple Pierce's, a couple McHale's, a couple Parish's, etc. For me it stays fresh, because every year the teams trades players, or draft new players. So always someone new to chase. Additionally it keeps the price down because I am not obsessed with high end card's or 1/1's. If I can get one at a good price than that is great. But I am just as happy with a base auto of a uniformed Celtic. My challenge is getting them graded PSA 10.
-Aries
The Zodiac Collection
Boston Celtics Auto's Past & Present Super Collector
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@...0713393666

For a while there I considered myself a MJ super collector. I had over 5000 different Jordan cards. It got to a point that no matter how many I had, it was never even close. For some this might be fun, but for me it got rather old knowing I would never "complete the set." I ended up selling majority of my MJs (I had at one point over 500 graded MJ cards, now have about 75-100) and only kept the cards that I truly wanted. I am much happier now. I feel like I got to obsessive and wanted everything. I realized that I bought cards I didnt even want and they just sat in a box in the closet. Now I have narrowed my collection down and these cards I actually display. I am much happier with this but still cringe when I see the boxes upon boxes of MJ cards that are from random sets that would sell maybe for 25-50 cents each if I wanted to list them all.

[Image: Nick.jpg]

(02-22-2017, 10:05 AM)The_Zodiac_Collection Wrote: If I was a single player collector I am sure I would be fatigued trying to find PC items. IMO it's more fun being a team collector, I really don't want 200 Larry Bird cards. I rather have a couple Birds, a couple Russell's, a couple Cousy's, a couple Pierce's, a couple McHale's, a couple Parish's, etc. For me it stays fresh, because every year the teams trades players, or draft new players. So always someone new to chase. Additionally it keeps the price down because I am not obsessed with high end card's or 1/1's. If I can get one at a good price than that is great. But I am just as happy with a base auto of a uniformed Celtic. My challenge is getting them graded PSA 10.
Yeah I understand the logic behind your collection. I just know how exhausting it can be to be a player collector. I never wanted to try and keep up with that much cardboard. I salute those that do though.
(02-24-2017, 02:04 AM)nickm1123 Wrote: For a while there I considered myself a MJ super collector. I had over 5000 different Jordan cards. It got to a point that no matter how many I had, it was never even close. For some this might be fun, but for me it got rather old knowing I would never "complete the set." I ended up selling majority of my MJs (I had at one point over 500 graded MJ cards, now have about 75-100) and only kept the cards that I truly wanted. I am much happier now. I feel like I got to obsessive and wanted everything. I realized that I bought cards I didnt even want and they just sat in a box in the closet. Now I have narrowed my collection down and these cards I actually display. I am much happier with this but still cringe when I see the boxes upon boxes of MJ cards that are from random sets that would sell maybe for 25-50 cents each if I wanted to list them all.
I agree. Especially if you collect a high end player. They've made more MJ cards than anyone else, lol. Unfortunately everyone picks up his stuff. I don't think I've bought something of his in years, lol. That's why I set a goal years ago that if I ever pulled a LeBron auto I'd hang it up lol. I did that a year ago. Didn't think it would happen after awhile because UD lost it's license and I didn't like the non licensed products enough to purchase.

(02-22-2017, 02:40 AM)kenarm79 Wrote: Do you get fatigued trying to find PC items?
No, I have a problem of finding too many cards. When I started with my Griffey want list it was something like 300 cards and has grown exponentially over the past two years.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona