`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SC Question

RE: SC Question
i'm definitely no super collector, but i'm pretty happy with the Shaq collection I have going. I didn't want to get bogged down with so many cards, so early on I decided to limit myself to just cards from his first two years. So around 300 cards. That makes it a lot more attainable to actually complete the collection. Although along the way I definitely discovered numerous variations and such that I was not expecting. Beckett's price guide doesn't have every card from those years, and some of them are even listed wrong or have wrong pictures, and they say they don't have the resources to correct any of it. That was slightly frustrating, since I depended on the Org to keep track of my status.

(02-26-2017, 07:41 PM)jumper4d8 Wrote: No, I have a problem of finding too many cards. When I started with my Griffey want list it was something like 300 cards and has grown exponentially over the past two years.
How long have you been collecting Griffey? He has a ton of stuff out there. That's a great person to collect because you can find something special to add to your collection without hunting all over the world, lol.
(02-27-2017, 12:49 AM)hercules21 Wrote: i'm definitely no super collector, but i'm pretty happy with the Shaq collection I have going. I didn't want to get bogged down with so many cards, so early on I decided to limit myself to just cards from his first two years. So around 300 cards. That makes it a lot more attainable to actually complete the collection. Although along the way I definitely discovered numerous variations and such that I was not expecting. Beckett's price guide doesn't have every card from those years, and some of them are even listed wrong or have wrong pictures, and they say they don't have the resources to correct any of it. That was slightly frustrating, since I depended on the Org to keep track of my status.
I understand your frustration. In the early '90's, the market was flooded with cards. Even Conventions started dropping different variations of cards on the market. I've seen so many different Shaq's over the years from his early years. I also had similar issues with the price guide. I've actually had Beckett add a few cards to the price guide a few years back. I stopped after I realized it wasn't worth doing free work for a company while I'm paying for a monthly subscription lol.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

If I have a player's RC, a mem card, an auto card and a nice parallel or insert of some kind, I usually call it good.

(03-17-2017, 03:47 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: If I have a player's RC, a mem card, an auto card and a nice parallel or insert of some kind, I usually call it good.
That's good restraint, lol. That being said, do you consider that perspective as a super collection?

I am definitely not a super collector. When the same company puts out a crazy number of sets and variations, I am not giving into their marketing ploys. Players that hardly play might have 100 cards in a season. Those that do play, and play well enough to be popular? 600. Every. Year. Old-time players might have several hundred or a couple thousand cards in a career (not counting everything that comes out after they retire), now players can get that before free agency sometimes. Ridiculous.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

It's the thrill of the hunt! Obsession is for those of us that collected a "base" player and have to have ALL of their cards! For me...Hornacek and Eaton are a must on all cards. But Stockton/Malone/Jordan...will never get there! That's why I starting searching and finding more of the unique cards, whether they be broder cards with different photos, phone cards, or Int'l oddities.

Kresimir Cosic SUPER COLLECTOER here though: -0- cards listed by Beckett....collection of 53 so far here!
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

(03-19-2017, 04:05 AM)kenarm79 Wrote: That's good restraint, lol. That being said, do you consider that perspective as a super collection?
No, not at all, I just find it hard to focus on one player at a time, LOL. In general I have five or six guys that I keep at least one of all of their cards that I pull, and sell/donate/trade the rest.

(03-19-2017, 05:07 PM)jonathani Wrote: I am definitely not a super collector. When the same company puts out a crazy number of sets and variations, I am not giving into their marketing ploys. Players that hardly play might have 100 cards in a season. Those that do play, and play well enough to be popular? 600. Every. Year. Old-time players might have several hundred or a couple thousand cards in a career (not counting everything that comes out after they retire), now players can get that before free agency sometimes. Ridiculous.
Good point
(03-20-2017, 11:53 AM)odditycards Wrote: It's the thrill of the hunt! Obsession is for those of us that collected a "base" player and have to have ALL of their cards! For me...Hornacek and Eaton are a must on all cards. But Stockton/Malone/Jordan...will never get there! That's why I starting searching and finding more of the unique cards, whether they be broder cards with different photos, phone cards, or Int'l oddities.

Kresimir Cosic SUPER COLLECTOER here though: -0- cards listed by Beckett....collection of 53 so far here!
Yeah I understand that concept. I've collected oddities of PC players.
(03-20-2017, 04:23 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: No, not at all, I just find it hard to focus on one player at a time, LOL. In general I have five or six guys that I keep at least one of all of their cards that I pull, and sell/donate/trade the rest.
Yeah that's a little different than what I might consider being a super collector. Super collectors usually have an addiction that can become hard to shake, lol.