`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redemption Cards

RE: Redemption Cards
(02-09-2017, 08:50 PM)uvaspina Wrote: For starters, they have card contracts with the players. Second, they insert redemptions to remain "in the moment"--to provide "hits" of emerging players. Third, the product comes out on a schedule, but that schedule doesn't always align with the players availability (or the product's availability)--the two need to connect some how, some way, and that doesn't always happen. Keep in mind, these players sign THOUSANDS of stickers and probably hundreds (if not thousands) of cards each off-season/spring training.

Not making excuses (because I've been on the "business end" of the frustration of redemptions) but just trying to explain. -Topps wouldn't be able to put out as good of a product if it was limited to the cards/autos it had IN HAND at the time of release. Some of the biggest and best cards of recent memory (Trout, Harper, Machado, etc.) have all been redemptions.
I wouldn't mind them so much if, say, you pulled or bought a Trout auto redemption and were guaranteed a Trout auto of some capacity, even if he didn't sign a specific card for a specific product.

Like, Topps could contact you and say, "Sorry, valued customer, we do not have this Mike Trout from 2017 product X, but you may choose between Trout auto X, Y or Z from product X, Y or Z," for example.

Case in point ... I waited about a year and a half for an Allen Iverson auto redemption a few years back, and then Topps sent me three scrub autos and three scrub jersey cards and claimed it was "equal value."

Especially with the big name cards, they should at least have 4-5 choices that you could pick from in the event a replacement is necessary.

in the end if they dont give you what is pulled from the pack, then it falls into the realm of either false advertising, or bait-and-switch marketing, of which both are illegal. Not even spaeking of how irritated customers feel waiting 2,3, or 4 years on a redemption. Get the signatures first, then add the redemption cards.
http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

(02-06-2017, 07:36 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: I'd like to see more of the 1/1s - plates, supers, etc. - and other low print run stuff be redemptions. The idea that a card like that is sitting in the stock room of an Amoco in Groton, South Dakota makes me cringe.
Hey
If you know of a sweet card in Groton let me know and I will drive up there. I am curious why you picked Groton? Also I don't bust any more wax due to redemptions. I would much rather buy the card(s) I want rather than risk getting an expired redemption of some sweet auto.

Any redemption card I pull, no matter who it's for goes right on my scanner and right on an auction site. I won't play Topps' games if I can help it.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.