`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redemption Cards

Redemption Cards
I wonder why Topps issues redemption cards in their packs when the redeemed cards haven't even been made yet. Then when they are sent in, they make their customers wait sometimes multiple years to get the card/s. Or, not even give them the card at all.

It seems to me it isn't very good business practice to piss off you customers in this way. Wouldn't it be wiser to have all the cards prepared previously then send out the redemption cards? It is how they used to do it back in day.

With all the bitchin' and moanin' on message boards about redemption cards, and rightly so, which I assume has lead to multiple customer complaints, why hasn't Topps changed their practices I wonder?

http://cardboardcollecting.ca/

"There’s no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation" - Pierre Trudeau

Trading and Buying 1952 Bowman baseball, contact me if you have some to trade/sell.

RE: Redemption Cards
Because of two reasons.

One, they have a monopoly on licensed MLB cards. They don't have to try harder.

Two, all of us - myself included - despise and complain about receptions, yet we continue to buy trading cards.

So it's a vicious cycle that always comes back to reason #1.

And, to be fair, all card companies (except for SAGE football) use the redemption process.

So until and unless the paying customers stop buying the product - or galvanize together and create the mother of all class action lawsuits - there is no end to the redemption issue.

What cracks me up the most is Panini's "points" program.

I don't have an issue with the concept itself, as oftentimes I am able to pick out a better mem or auto card for my PC than the one I probably would have received in a pack, but it cracks me up when the points card is your only guaranteed hit.

It's like it's Panini's way of saying, "we don't have ANY autographs or jersey cards from this set, whatsoever, to give you right now."

And then they charge you like 5 bucks to ship it to you after the fact.

It's beyond deplorable, but what are you going to do?

(02-06-2017, 03:20 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: What cracks me up the most is Panini's "points" program.
I don't have an issue with the concept itself, as oftentimes I am able to pick out a better mem or auto card for my PC than the one I probably would have received in a pack, but it cracks me up when the points card is your only guaranteed hit.

It's like it's Panini's way of saying, "we don't have ANY autographs or jersey cards from this set, whatsoever, to give you right now."
And then they charge you like 5 bucks to ship it to you after the fact.
It's beyond deplorable, but what are you going to do?
I hate the points and i hate the redemptions. Redemptions are good if the "hit" is too big to fit in a pack ... a signed Jersey would be a cool redemption, right? Or a super thick card that might get trashed in packaging.
But redemptions aren't usually used in that manner and often can be pulled after they expire, taking the burden of the 'cost' off the company. Points don't expire, so even if they suck, they can be accumulated into a bigger better hit at a later date ... so even though I hate them both .... Panini points win by a small margin.
The fear of expired redemptions caused me to open a Trout rip card ... i would have kept it sealed, if not having a foreboding premonition that I'd open it and find an expired signed Sandy Koufax baseball or something awesome like that .... instead it had a Josh Hamilton ext mini. Oh joy!! Sad
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(02-06-2017, 05:38 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: I hate the points and i hate the redemptions. Redemptions are good if the "hit" is too big to fit in a pack ... a signed Jersey would be a cool redemption, right? Or a super thick card that might get trashed in packaging.
But redemptions aren't usually used in that manner and often can be pulled after they expire, taking the burden of the 'cost' off the company. Points don't expire, so even if they suck, they can be accumulated into a bigger better hit at a later date ... so even though I hate them both .... Panini points win by a small margin.
The fear of expired redemptions caused me to open a Trout rip card ... i would have kept it sealed, if not having a foreboding premonition that I'd open it and find an expired signed Sandy Koufax baseball or something awesome like that .... instead it had a Josh Hamilton ext mini. Oh joy!! Sad
I'd like to see more of the 1/1s - plates, supers, etc. - and other low print run stuff be redemptions. The idea that a card like that is sitting in the stock room of an Amoco in Groton, South Dakota makes me cringe.
Kepler

I know this may sound a bit naive but until recently I thought that the cards were printed and waiting to be signed or sticker autograph added. I didn't even think about how much storage that would have taken not to mention the potential damage a card may get sitting around for a year or two.

I think my biggest gripe about redemptions is if the company can not fulfill past redemptions, stop putting that player's name on checklists going forward until they can catch up. If a player isn't signing cards for redemptions from 2014 then don't put them on an autograph checklist for 2015, 2016, 2017 and onward. I know this isn't logical, especially with big name players.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

(02-09-2017, 05:58 PM)jumper4d8 Wrote: I know this may sound a bit naive but until recently I thought that the cards were printed and waiting to be signed or sticker autograph added. I didn't even think about how much storage that would have taken not to mention the potential damage a card may get sitting around for a year or two.

I think my biggest gripe about redemptions is if the company can not fulfill past redemptions, stop putting that player's name on checklists going forward until they can catch up. If a player isn't signing cards for redemptions from 2014 then don't put them on an autograph checklist for 2015, 2016, 2017 and onward. I know this isn't logical, especially with big name players.
This is actually a really good suggestion ... if the player is a deadbeat, leave them off the checklist.

This actually happened to me back in the day ... long story short, my grandparents sent me a box of 1999-00 Topps Series 2 basketball for Christmas.

I pulled a redemption for an Allen Iverson auto, and he was one of my favorite players.

I waited a year and a half, and then Topps sent me three scrub autos and three scrub jersey cards.

They said it was "equal value" and that I wouldn't be receiving my Iverson.

That was also the last Christmas present my grandparents sent me before they passed, so thanks for nothing, Topps!

(02-09-2017, 06:20 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: This is actually a really good suggestion ... if the player is a deadbeat, leave them off the checklist.

This actually happened to me back in the day ... long story short, my grandparents sent me a box of 1999-00 Topps Series 2 basketball for Christmas.

They said it was "equal value" and that I wouldn't be receiving my Iverson.

That was also the last Christmas present my grandparents sent me before they passed, so thanks for nothing, Topps!
Sad holy cow! I'm sorry that happened to you.

Quote: The fear of expired redemptions caused me to open a Trout rip card ... i would have kept it sealed, if not having a foreboding premonition that I'd open it and find an expired signed Sandy Koufax baseball or something awesome like that .... instead it had a Josh Hamilton ext mini. Oh joy!!

Rip cards can hold redemptions? Do they still do that? As an A&G fan, I'd made up my mind to try and sell a rip, if i ever pulled one, but that might make me think twice!!

Bait and switch...

(02-09-2017, 06:33 PM)gotopes Wrote: Sad holy cow! I'm sorry that happened to you.

Rip cards can hold redemptions? Do they still do that? As an A&G fan, I'd made up my mind to try and sell a rip, if i ever pulled one, but that might make me think twice!!
There is no reason what so ever to put a redemption in a rip card. That is a travesty.
I focus my PC on Ken Griffey Jr but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. Secondary collection: Seattle teams & Univ. of Arizona

(02-06-2017, 02:55 PM)scottbdoug Wrote: I wonder why Topps issues redemption cards in their packs when the redeemed cards haven't even been made yet. Then when they are sent in, they make their customers wait sometimes multiple years to get the card/s. Or, not even give them the card at all.

It seems to me it isn't very good business practice to piss off you customers in this way. Wouldn't it be wiser to have all the cards prepared previously then send out the redemption cards? It is how they used to do it back in day.

With all the bitchin' and moanin' on message boards about redemption cards, and rightly so, which I assume has lead to multiple customer complaints, why hasn't Topps changed their practices I wonder?

For starters, they have card contracts with the players. Second, they insert redemptions to remain "in the moment"--to provide "hits" of emerging players. Third, the product comes out on a schedule, but that schedule doesn't always align with the players availability (or the product's availability)--the two need to connect some how, some way, and that doesn't always happen. Keep in mind, these players sign THOUSANDS of stickers and probably hundreds (if not thousands) of cards each off-season/spring training.

Not making excuses (because I've been on the "business end" of the frustration of redemptions) but just trying to explain. -Topps wouldn't be able to put out as good of a product if it was limited to the cards/autos it had IN HAND at the time of release. Some of the biggest and best cards of recent memory (Trout, Harper, Machado, etc.) have all been redemptions.

[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*