`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2017 Hobby Goals

RE: 2017 Hobby Goals
Last January, I had found myself suddenly unemployed after 29 and a half years with the same TV station. I drove a truck for FedEx all summer and am now the Creative Services Manager at my old TV station's crosstown rival. Being employed will play a big difference in this year's goals.

I plan to complete my 1957 Topps set this year. I am very close to completion on that with only a few cards left to go and access to acquire them.

I also want to add 5 more HOF autographs to the more than 100 I already have. I got a quick start on that when both Bagwell and IRod were elected as my autos of them are now HOF autos. Three more to go!
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I am fortunate that I completed my hobby goals for 2017. First off I added these along with some others I was missing to my collection back in March to complete my 1957 set making it my oldest complete set.

And I added a bunch of HOF autographs to my collection including these five members that I didn't previously have.

A big disappointment this year was buying an Ozzie Smith autograph that never arrived in the mail. However I will take Pat Gillick and call it mission accomplished.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

(12-27-2016, 12:48 PM)waynetalger Wrote: 1. Pick up 500 more Nolan Ryan Wants
2. Pick up 12 1909-11 T-206
3. Start trading again
4. Be more active on the site
5. Sell off more of my football to pick up the T-206s
6. Buy a few more boxes (only bought 7 boxes all year for 2016)
7. Pick up some autoes of players I don't have.
1- Picked up about 150 different ones
2- picked up 8
3- was real bad with life happening ( grandchild being born, Grandchild having life and death surgery and father in law diagnosed with brain cancer and died
4. fell short look at #3
5. Didnt get much done again #3
6. got 6 boxes this year worst than last
7. picked up 3 autos I didnt have Pudge being the top one

[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(12-28-2016, 01:59 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: 1) reduce my retail purchases even further
2) trade, trade, trade (barely anything in 2016 Sad )
3) focus my single card purchases to higher priced autos, auto/relics (I still need a nice Solo Trout auto .. and I need a Jeter on card auto (I have a baseball)
4) focus more on my Yankees PC
5) give away / throw away /trade away unnecessary base cards from the past year. When I had my practice, I was giving my patients' kids tons of cards. Since getting rid of my office, my 'donation' of cards has been zero. We need to plant the seeds of future collectors as well as (and more importantly) getting more future baseball fans.
6) less prospecting (I've the worst luck in picking potential players)
7) more graded vintage (especially Mantle)
Wow, I was really scared to look back at this ... last year at this time i was unemployed and things weren't good. Today, employed, but things aren't great, but not nearly as bad ... can't complain as much.
Now ... to the goals.
1) yeah, right. That didn't last very long. Once I was working, I got sucked right back in. Fail
2) Trading was still very anemic ... I made a few, but less than the year before ...fail
3) Not too bad. About 50% success on this. Made some decent purchases. No Trout autos this year, but thanks to RJ, I have traded for a Jeter Auto (sticker)
4) Hmmm. Again, about 50% success. With Judge in the limelight all year, my Yankee PC increased tremendously, but so did my Bellinger
5) epic fail.
6) If buying tons of discounted 2015 Contenders blasters is still prospecting, then yes, another failure added to the pile. Smile
7) I think I picked up one graded Mantle the whole year. But really should have done more.
All in All, it was a fun year, even if my goals and desires fell way short of what I set out to achieve.

[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(12-27-2016, 01:46 PM)scottzoe Wrote: Only 1 goal will be set for 2017 here...

1) pick up 1,500 Red Sox cards to put me over 43,000

We are adding a new kitchen, bath, and porch this year, so most of my card budget will go to that. Also being out of the house while the construction happens will put a damper on even being able to play with my cards while they are in storage!

Scott
well,
I seem to have got my goals wrong this years, the kitchen and bath project were put on hold, which enabled me to pick up nearly 3000 Red Sox this year.
Some of the highlights...
--> a 1940 Play Ball Ted Williams which completed my Pre-War Play Ball Red Sox Team sets!
--> Completed my oldest Red Sox team set so far 1933 World Wide Gum V353
--> Over 400 IP on card vintage Red Sox auto's (1950-1980).

Scott

50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

(12-23-2017, 10:32 AM)scottzoe Wrote: --> Over 400 IP on card vintage Red Sox auto's (1950-1980).
Scott
Wow!

(12-31-2016, 06:09 PM)leadmetogreatness Wrote: My goals
1)pick up more 1976 cards, topps,opc,tcma,etc.
2)get 1-10 Redsox autos I don't have already.
3) reach/get to 1000 total trades have approx 900.
4)slim down collection, organize and sort more, buy less and less boxes.
5)have fun

Happy new years all
1)got some but need more to complete set.
2)don't know how many but got a few of course not the top 4 I'd like to get
3)thinking I'll be short by 5 trades (who wants to trade?)
4)always a work in progress, did buy less though
5)still having fun
Selling my org out
Rolleyes

(12-31-2016, 06:06 PM)elberson Wrote: ok, for me?????

still pick up graded stars and hof'er's rc's of my era.....hopefully chipper tiffany rc

i finished off two 1970 topps sets, very happy with that!!! and knocked off many of the hof'ers rc list

2017 goals

1....pick up more mike schmidt rc's and auto's.....i'm at 37 autos and 5 rc's

2.....add to or finish 1976 topps(need about 60 more), 1971 topps set(need about 250 more), 1967 topps set(need abot 300-350 more) and 1962 topps set(only have about 100, so need everything)

3.....just have more fun and enjoy waking up every day........Smile
Dont you hate when you type things and they come back to bite you in the butt.....lol

I keep picking up my favorite graded rcs And did get my Tiffany chipper.....yeah for that. Added more Schmidt autos........thats a yeah....finished off the 76 set.....all nrmt. Very close to the 71 set (about 150 more needed). 67 set about 200 more and 62 about 300 more needed

And still have fun......Smile
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

(12-28-2016, 05:01 PM)franciscomarina Wrote: I had as a goal to finish the 1958 and 1967 set. Fell short of two for the 1958 and one card shy for the 67'
Will get those card in January.
For new goals
1. Add about 50 cards for 1952. I will hope to get a Mantle. Hard goal to achieve on the Mantle.

2. Picking a Ruth 1933 Goudey at least graded 3.

3. Add about 10-20 more T206 cards to the PC.

4. Try to get a starter set for 1953 or 1962. Those will be my next set projects.

5. Add a 1954 Aaron graded card to my PC.

6. Keep adding to my Correa and Lindor PC
These are tough goals, that will make me be more cautious on what to buy this year. Main goals are on vintage cards this year. A few projects that I know will take me a few years.
That is the great thing about this hobby. Plenty of things new to work on every year.
Luckily I achieved most of my goals including the Mantle rookie card. I got a starter set of 1962 and only need about 15 to finish. Also I got a 1952 bowman starter set and now need about 3 to finish. I also got a Aaron rookie card and a few more for my vintage PC
I added a few more Lindor and Correa to the PC and the only thing I missed was the Ruth card. I guess that will go to the 2018 goals.

I'm going to focus on my Cooperstown collection and purchase mainly older wax boxes and factory sets prior to 2001. That seems to be a demarcation line for this hobby when Ichiro and Pujols entered the league.

As far as 2018 trading cards go, I'm really just going to purchase Topps Now products as I really like the concept and I'm sure my Rockies will have a few additions for my PC.

Merry Christmas everyone and happy collecting!
All-time favorite insert card designs:

1. 1991 Donruss Elite
  2. 1995 Studio Platinum
  3. 1994 Flair Hot Glove
  4. 1993 Ultra Award Winners
  5. 2001 Bowman Heritage Chrome
  6. 1994 Fleer All-Stars