`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your favorite card?

RE: What is your favorite card?
Here is one of my favorite baseball cards...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My favorite card... bar none... is '52 Mantle. Nothing compares.

(10-24-2016, 02:27 AM)Nintari Wrote: My favorite card... bar none... is '52 Mantle. Nothing compares.
You own a '52 Mantle!?!?! Totally jealous! I guess if I had one of those, it would be my favorite, too.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Mine is my '62 Maris I bought when I was 10 (1989) at an antique/collectibles show at the mall. I used 2 months worth of my paychecks ($60) to get it. My second favorite is my 83 Topps Sandberg rookie that my oldest brother got me that same year for Christmas. Which then began the Sandberg PC collection.
[Image: Woogie%2023_zpshzmly2km.jpg]

Too many to choose from:

1980 Topps #482 Rickey Henderson RC - Pulled from a pack when I was 9
1997 Leaf Thomas Collection #4 Frank Thomas Bat - pull from a box of random packs for a $1.00
2001 Donruss Rookie Reprints Autograph #RR1 Cal Ripken #d 05/82 - pulled from a pack
2013 Topps Tier One Dual Autographs #TH Rickey Henderson/Mike Trout #d 24/25 - bought to have favorite retired and active players
2014 Stadium Club Beam Team Autographs #BTACK Clayton Kershaw #d 1/5 - Pulled from a pack

To facilitate trading, please mark your wants in the "wants" column and "trade for" column in your Org.
[Image: Henderson-Discussion-Signature.jpg]

I realized after thinking about this that I lied to y'all - if we were talking baseball only my beat up '71 Hank Aaron is tops for sure if its my favorite card its my:

1990-91 hoops Michael Jordan front / 1990 Pro Set Pro Bowl Reggie White back'ed card I won in a game of pack war with the ol cigar smoking card guy at the flea market I hung out at each weekend at my parents electronic repair booth in the late 80s/early 90s. my mom and I frequented estate sales and storage auctions and we resold a lot of stuff there also and anytime I'd make a few bucks from my own buying/selling hauls - I was off to see the card guy. he enjoyed playing war with kids who were regulars around and would double or nothing up so often to the point to make sure the kid walked away with a healthy stack for their pocket change.

I still remember specifically sitting underneath one of our tables (peace and quiet in such a chaotic place!) and putting the cards in order in my 9 card binder (I was working on the 90-91 hoops set) and as I flipped over a page saw a pro set card and thought oh weird how'd that get in there! (I cared nothing about football) flipped it back to the front hmm just basketball.... error cards were just in full form all the rage and I pretty much thought I would buy a mansion later in life with it, had some good offers on it back then but as a nobody 10 year old and with the internet being such an infancy then even in our super nerdy computer household - i kept it stowed away for years.

it still irks me that Beckett penalizes so harshly for the back centering but I guess they gotta stick to standards, what makes it cool has nothing to do with the back not being centered LOL

shoulda just got it encapsulated but still wanted to show the condition of the areas that matter on it.

[Image: mj-1.jpg]

Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(10-24-2016, 10:51 PM)johnxgodfree Wrote: I realized after thinking about this that I lied to y'all - if we were talking baseball only my beat up '71 Hank Aaron is tops for sure if its my favorite card its my:

1990-91 hoops Michael Jordan front / 1990 Pro Set Pro Bowl Reggie White back'ed card I won in a game of pack war with the ol cigar smoking card guy at the flea market I hung out at each weekend at my parents electronic repair booth in the late 80s/early 90s. my mom and I frequented estate sales and storage auctions and we resold a lot of stuff there also and anytime I'd make a few bucks from my own buying/selling hauls - I was off to see the card guy. he enjoyed playing war with kids who were regulars around and would double or nothing up so often to the point to make sure the kid walked away with a healthy stack for their pocket change.

I still remember specifically sitting underneath one of our tables (peace and quiet in such a chaotic place!) and putting the cards in order in my 9 card binder (I was working on the 90-91 hoops set) and as I flipped over a page saw a pro set card and thought oh weird how'd that get in there! (I cared nothing about football) flipped it back to the front hmm just basketball.... error cards were just in full form all the rage and I pretty much thought I would buy a mansion later in life with it, had some good offers on it back then but as a nobody 10 year old and with the internet being such an infancy then even in our super nerdy computer household - i kept it stowed away for years.

it still irks me that Beckett penalizes so harshly for the back centering but I guess they gotta stick to standards, what makes it cool has nothing to do with the back not being centered LOL

shoulda just got it encapsulated but still wanted to show the condition of the areas that matter on it.

[Image: mj-1.jpg]

Thanks for sharing, that's cool. I've never seen one of those before. Do you have any info on the card; How many were printed or how many have surfaced since that card was printed, Whats the value on that?
Did "NBA Hoops" own "Pro Set"? Trying to figure out how that mishap would have happened.
Weird, I just tried looking this card up in the pop report and it's not registered. There is one that has a "misprinted front" but that appears to be it.

I've been thinking about this since the thread started, I can't pick a favorite but without a doubt the card that stirs the most emotion, both positive and negative is the 1987 fleer Barry Bonds rookie.
I was a huge Bonds fan since the moment I seriously started to follow baseball. Always starting arguments with Griffey and Thomas fans about who was better, it never got old. For a kid with no job I had a real solid collection but that 87 fleer was the most expensive of his base rookies and was always just out of my reach. I went to a show at the mall when I was in eighth grade, and I saw one, marked at full book value, $50. I asked the guy if I could see it and he handed it to me. I flipped it over and it had a brown spot, almost like the start of a cigarette burn. I talked him down to $20 which was every last cent I had.
At the time I probably had 300 different cards of his but my collection felt complete. That was my first "white whale" and I felt like I owned the world when I got that.
I had some more good years before word got out about all the steroids and the like, that's when I left the hobby for awhile. I took a whole lot of life lessons from that whole experience. I still own that card and every time I look at it it makes me think of decisions I've made that have nothing to do with the hobby, that card makes me think about life. So it's not my favorite but I'd call it my most important card.
Tim Wakefield
656/839 78%
617/643 96% Non 1 of 1s
67/93 Autos
46/60 Memorabilia
39 one of ones

hmmmm, other than the quad auto I posted, the Bo Jackson baseball/shoulder pads card is one of my favs as well!
I collect Peyton Manning and Griffey Jr.
My Bucket: http://s444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/soccerscrub78
[Image: manning-griffeybanner2.jpg]

(10-26-2016, 05:52 PM)altz11 Wrote: Thanks for sharing, that's cool. I've never seen one of those before. Do you have any info on the card; How many were printed or how many have surfaced since that card was printed, Whats the value on that?
Did "NBA Hoops" own "Pro Set"? Trying to figure out how that mishap would have happened.
Weird, I just tried looking this card up in the pop report and it's not registered. There is one that has a "misprinted front" but that appears to be it.
here is what I've gathered over the past decade or so since I actually started back into cards again and bugging anyone/everyone I could (and also collecting more hoops/pro set variations) they were likely just print samples (both pro set and hoops in that year were printed in the same factory) of some sort either ran off on purpose or just getting machines setup. pro set had also done samples of basketball cards that year, another theory (this is coming from some big time pro set collectors) is that they were samples done to try out and to show people during planning.

I've been tracking any and every variations of these cards that pops up for about 5+ years now and have managed to purchase 28 different examples of of pro set front / hoops backs - when they pop up they sell from somewhere between $1-25 for all of them I've seen so far. I think average price I've paid for the 28 is about $4/ea some days they got for $20-25/ea and other days the same card will go for $1 not much rhyme or reason to it (sometimes they don't sell at all)

none of the other ones I've found to date (either that I've let pass, or bought) have had anywhere even close to the star power of jordan/white on either side. back in the early 90s I was offered up to $500 for it (I should have taken it)

if I had to guess present day I'm guessing I could get $50-100 for it. maybe a little more if I took time shopping it around. a huge Jordan Collector claimed to have an identical card (and judging by his collection hes been selling off on ebay for years I don't doubt if anyone had one...it'd be him) but he was never able to supply me more than a fuzzy low res photo of it to prove it)

other combos I have:
539 Greg Bell Raiders 255 Antoine Carr Kings
326 wilber marshall Redskins 219 Jerry Reynolds Magic
542 Scott Davis Raiders 251 Charles Williams Trailblazers
607 Wes Hopkins Eagles 149 Kenneth Norman Clippers
505 Byron Evans Eagles 150 David Rivers Clippers
609 Seth Joyner Eagles 150 David Rivers Clippers
549 Lionel Washington Raiders 255 Antoine Carr Kings
610 Jim McMahon Eagles 149 Kenneth Norman Clippers
538 Marcus Allen Raiders 99 Blair Rasmussen Nuggets
544 Jamie Holland Raiders 99 Blair Rasmussen Nuggets
730 Doug Widell Broncos 43 Reggie Lewis Celtics
606 Ron Heller Eagles 155 Larry Drew Lakers
84 Ken Norton Cowboys 219 Jerry Reynolds Magic
265 Joe Bugel cardinals 219 Jerry Reynolds Magic
609 Seth Joyner Eagles 150 David Rivers Clippers
610 Jim McMahon Eagles 149 Kenneth Norman Clippers
606 Ron Heller Eagles 155 Larry Drew Lakers
607 Wes Hopkins Eagles 149 Kenneth Norman Clippers
538 Marcus Allen Raiders 99 Blair Rasmussen Nuggets
549 Lionel Washington Raiders 255 Antoine Carr Kings
544 Jamie Holland Raiders 99 Blair Rasmussen Nuggets
542 Scott Davis Raiders 251 Charles Williams Trailblazers
505 Byron Evans Eagles 150 David Rivers Clippers
730 Doug Widell Broncos 43 Reggie Lewis Celtics

I've got a few errors/variations of the Jordan #65 card from that set also its one of my lil oddball collections
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors