`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
BGS vs. PSA

RE: BGS vs. PSA
What i couldnt standard is how these grading companies could miss trimmed cards. The size is quite standard except for some that are really smaller like star 84 cards.

I used to think BGS was the best, until I started seeing collectors in all different types of forums brag on how they sent a BGS 9 back and get it graded again until they received a 9.5 or higher. That is when I started questioning BGS's integrity in grading. Too many posts would surface saying, I resubmitted my BGS KD 9 and it just came back a 9.5. Makes you wonder how strict they really are. Also, with the newer cards it would help if BGS or PSA would keep track of the serial number with the newer cards. That way they could keep track if it is being resubmitted or if it is a fake. Now I prefer PSA. Still, I have noticed that the newer graded don't hold as much value anymore unless it is an extremely popular player like Curry. The reason I say this is because I could not believe my eyes when I was offered 40.00 for a Dwight Howard Prizm Red Auto #/10 graded 9.5. I was like, no, I pass.

(04-11-2016, 01:43 AM)arod0770710 Wrote: I used to think BGS was the best, until I started seeing collectors in all different types of forums brag on how they sent a BGS 9 back and get it graded again until they received a 9.5 or higher. That is when I started questioning BGS's integrity in grading. Too many posts would surface saying, I resubmitted my BGS KD 9 and it just came back a 9.5. Makes you wonder how strict they really are. Also, with the newer cards it would help if BGS or PSA would keep track of the serial number with the newer cards. That way they could keep track if it is being resubmitted or if it is a fake. Now I prefer PSA. Still, I have noticed that the newer graded don't hold as much value anymore unless it is an extremely popular player like Curry. The reason I say this is because I could not believe my eyes when I was offered 40.00 for a Dwight Howard Prizm Red Auto #/10 graded 9.5. I was like, no, I pass.
I agree with all of this. BGS grading and people resubmitting and getting higher grades upsets me! How can a card increase in grades? I feel it is more about who sends in the card rather than what the card actually grades at.
I collect Penny (Anfernee) Hardaway, and my son collects Ty Lawson. Please let me know if you have anything rare of either player.

Photo Bucket = http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/bryandwells/library/

If find it's harder to get a 9.5 from BGS, but PSA 10s are found more frequently.
(04-05-2016, 08:37 PM)scqg888 Wrote: What i couldnt standard is how these grading companies could miss trimmed cards. The size is quite standard except for some that are really smaller like star 84 cards.
They'd notice it if they wanted to.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

(04-11-2016, 10:07 AM)bryandwells1 Wrote: I agree with all of this. BGS grading and people resubmitting and getting higher grades upsets me! How can a card increase in grades? I feel it is more about who sends in the card rather than what the card actually grades at.
No, I think it just shows that BGS has had their standards drop a bit in the past few years. Remember how insanely strict they used to be?! I used to own some BGS cards that were graded back when they still kept their sub-grades on the back of the case. An old BGS 8.5-9 would probably grade a high BGS 9.5 today.
I do however believe that BGS grades certain cards higher to control prices of cards like that '84 Star #101 BGS 9.5 MJ- the first of it's kind.

(04-11-2016, 01:43 AM)arod0770710 Wrote: I used to think BGS was the best, until I started seeing collectors in all different types of forums brag on how they sent a BGS 9 back and get it graded again until they received a 9.5 or higher. That is when I started questioning BGS's integrity in grading. Too many posts would surface saying, I resubmitted my BGS KD 9 and it just came back a 9.5. Makes you wonder how strict they really are. Also, with the newer cards it would help if BGS or PSA would keep track of the serial number with the newer cards. That way they could keep track if it is being resubmitted or if it is a fake. Now I prefer PSA. Still, I have noticed that the newer graded don't hold as much value anymore unless it is an extremely popular player like Curry. The reason I say this is because I could not believe my eyes when I was offered 40.00 for a Dwight Howard Prizm Red Auto #/10 graded 9.5. I was like, no, I pass.

First of all it's not unheard of to re-submit a 9 and get a 9.5. That's only .5 difference. I've heard stories on the CU (Collectors Universe) forum of people submitting vintage cards to PSA that were originally a 7, drop down to a 5, then submitted again and receive an 8 or better (or stories very similar to this).
As said before, grading is subjective and there are inconsistencies in the grading world.
I'm not "sticking up" for BGS in any way, I'm not trying to change people's opinions because quite frankly I don't care and I would say this same thing in regards to any grading company; PSA, BGS/BVG, SGC, PRO, GMA, etc... people should accept grading for what it is (just someone's paid opinion) try and keep an open mind and not put too much emotion into it.

Beckett's are worth more--grade for grade, graded more FAIRLY AND ACCURATELY, and present your card (that you obviously treasure enough to pay good money to have evaluated by some third party) in a slab that is at least four times as solid as the flimsy POS that PSA returns your card, sometimes after a grading fee of $300 or more!

There is no debate here. PSA is worthless and Beckett IS King

--Shadi Wehbe, M.B.A.
Duke/UNC

(04-05-2016, 09:33 AM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: For me, it's honestly mostly aesthetics. All grading is subject, by either company. I am not sure what the grading practices are in terms of whether or not the grades are double or triple checked, or what have you, but I know they are done by people. I have heard that grading takes a major toll on the eyes, and over time, that person's eyesight may suffer. One thing I would like to see, not exactly on the holder, but somewhere (and maybe it's there and I do not know about it), is who graded the cards. This way, you may be able to see the consistencies (or inconsistencies). Maybe we could request a specific grader (but then maybe people would suggest the grader with the lowest standards). But I know there have been PSA 9's that have jumped to BGS 10's and vice versa.

But again, for me it is aesthetic reasons that I prefer BGS over PSA. I am not a fan of the color red, nor green really (though I am a Michigan State fan). I am a fan of silver, I can tolerate gold, and I would love to get a black one. I believe BGS even has a blue label for custom labels or something, and blue is my favorite color. Then you have the logos. The Beckett logo to me is more appealing than the letters PSA. I love seeing the sub grades, and it helps me evaluate my cards that I do not have graded. And my OCD likes the sharp edges of the BGS holder than the rounded ones of PSA.

At one point in time, I wanted to get all of my Pistons PC graded. I will very likely never afford that, and even if I could, I'm not sure it would be the best use of my money. My main reason for wanting to get them graded was for storage purposes. I wanted to make sure that in case of flood (because I doubt they can withstand fire) or dropping, that my cards were protected. Honestly, I've now resorted to just trying to get all of them into top loaders. It's still going to cost more than I want it to, but it's more reasonable. Also thinking about trying to get some bags to put the top loaders in. So they'll be in sleeves, in top loaders, in bags. Unfortunately, my box slots don't fit the top loaders very well.
You could always send them in to GMA for about $3/card. The standards aren't as great. I've heard good and bad things. But most people use them for cheap encapsulation and don't care about the grade. Smile

I do like the look of the BGS cases better.