`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
BGS vs. PSA

BGS vs. PSA
I've been noticing BGS 9.5's sell for more than PSA 10's of the same card. Do you consider BGS 9.5's better than a PSA 10? I know BGS has a grading standard that is more strict which gives more credence to the grade but do you guys really think they are better than PSA 10's? I know BGS having sub-grades is a factor, which is something I really like about BGS, but I would like to ask everyone what you think. Because I believe PSA 10 is a very valid and quality grade.

*I sent in a Tom Brady RC BGS 9.5 w/ 10,10,9.5,9.5 sub-grades to PSA for a PSA 10 and they wouldn't give it to me.*

RE: BGS vs. PSA
In regards to card grading, "psa vs. bgs?" is like the age old question. There are many factors that go into it, in fact there has already been a thread here on the forums that discuss this topic. (I'm sure you could find it using the search engine).
I believe they are both solid grading companies and both have strengths and weaknesses.

Just curious, when you sent your tom Brady bgs 9.5 in to psa, did you send it in the bgs case or did you crack it out and send it raw?
From what I've heard on multiple different forums, (haven't actually done it) most grading companies won't cross cards to their highest grade (ex. A bgs 9.5 to psa 10 or vice versa). I'm sure it's all political bs. You would be better off cracking the card out and sending it to psa. You'd have a better chance of it getting a ten!

(02-26-2016, 12:46 PM)altz11 Wrote: In regards to card grading, "psa vs. bgs?" is like the age old question. There are many factors that go into it, in fact there has already been a thread here on the forums that discuss this topic. (I'm sure you could find it using the search engine).
I believe they are both solid grading companies and both have strengths and weaknesses.

Just curious, when you sent your tom Brady bgs 9.5 in to psa, did you send it in the bgs case or did you crack it out and send it raw?
From what I've heard on multiple different forums, (haven't actually done it) most grading companies won't cross cards to their highest grade (ex. A bgs 9.5 to psa 10 or vice versa). I'm sure it's all political bs. You would be better off cracking the card out and sending it to psa. You'd have a better chance of it getting a ten!
I've actually sent in 2 and both were in a BGS case. I had 2 Tom Brady RC's BGS 9.5's w/ same subs as I wrote before and one got a PSA 10 and another didn't. They were sent in on 2 separate occasions.

Interesting. Well from everything I've heard about crossovers 50% ain't bad! Lol.

It's a matter of personal preference and which company you believe will be around in the future. I personally feel BGS is indeed stricter and will buy their graded cards over a PSA with a similar grade.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

I prefer PSA over BGS for all cards... used to be I liked BGS for newer cards, but these days I prefer PSA for everything.

I've been in the hobby since 1992, and have had a lot of experience with both companies, and never bothered using SGC, or any other grading company, would never even consider another outside of these two.

So, BGS used to be VERY strict, and that's what I loved about them, that not many cards would get the Gem grade. But when they did, they would be almost always spotless! Matter of fact, I would go on eBay and hunt down BGS 9's with the old style label when they put sub grades on the back, and since they were in such perfect condition, I knew they would cross to PSA 10's, so I was successful every time I did that. Can't do the same today because BGS 9's look like 8's or less, with white on edges and corners, and centering issues. So I honestly don't take BGS seriously anymore. Love the mags, or at least in the old days when they had those super awesome articles, and top 15 cards of players and so on Smile but as for grading, not anymore. Not to mention I can NOT STAND the labels these days with sub grades on the front. But that's just cosmetics... takes away from the overall beauty in my opinion, so that's another reason I like PSA. I also don't think they extra thick case is really needed unless you go swimming with your cards. I used to see BGS cases as a must, but they take up so much unnecessary space. I've never had any issues with either BGS or PSA cases, so I prefer the beautiful thin PSA ones, and saves space. Another thing I hate are the different colors of BGS that makes for a sloppy display, while the PSA's are all red and white, and display beautifully no matter the grade. The list goes on.... How about that sweaty inner sleeve on the BGS holders that make the cards appear dull. No good.

As for grading standards these days? They both have their flaws... But I would still prefer PSA, and won't consider BGS as an option anymore. Unless for rare occasion where I already have cards slabbed "Authentic" only for 1/1's and I want them to look the same, but I don't want to risk destroying a 1/1 card by cracking it out, so then I would do BGS in that one situation. Other than that, BGS is not for me anymore.

Did I forget to mention that PSA is a bigger company, with a longer reputation, and they will always be the premier grading company respected by top notch collectors, while Beckett is looked at more as something for the new generation. So I guess in a 100 years they may be looked at as a better company, who knows Big Grin haha
I am "THE" Elgin Baylor collector. Collecting basketball cards since 1992. You may know me from other places as "SportsItUpCards" or "Gio"

Collecting:

Elgin Baylor

Steve Francis 1999-00 Rare cards #'d to 100 or less

facebook.com/groups/SportsCardsHobbyTalk

(03-02-2016, 09:54 PM)nba50 Wrote: I prefer PSA over BGS for all cards... used to be I liked BGS for newer cards, but these days I prefer PSA for everything.

I've been in the hobby since 1992, and have had a lot of experience with both companies, and never bothered using SGC, or any other grading company, would never even consider another outside of these two.

So, BGS used to be VERY strict, and that's what I loved about them, that not many cards would get the Gem grade. But when they did, they would be almost always spotless! Matter of fact, I would go on eBay and hunt down BGS 9's with the old style label when they put sub grades on the back, and since they were in such perfect condition, I knew they would cross to PSA 10's, so I was successful every time I did that. Can't do the same today because BGS 9's look like 8's or less, with white on edges and corners, and centering issues. So I honestly don't take BGS seriously anymore. Love the mags, or at least in the old days when they had those super awesome articles, and top 15 cards of players and so on Smile but as for grading, not anymore. Not to mention I can NOT STAND the labels these days with sub grades on the front. But that's just cosmetics... takes away from the overall beauty in my opinion, so that's another reason I like PSA. I also don't think they extra thick case is really needed unless you go swimming with your cards. I used to see BGS cases as a must, but they take up so much unnecessary space. I've never had any issues with either BGS or PSA cases, so I prefer the beautiful thin PSA ones, and saves space. Another thing I hate are the different colors of BGS that makes for a sloppy display, while the PSA's are all red and white, and display beautifully no matter the grade. The list goes on.... How about that sweaty inner sleeve on the BGS holders that make the cards appear dull. No good.

As for grading standards these days? They both have their flaws... But I would still prefer PSA, and won't consider BGS as an option anymore. Unless for rare occasion where I already have cards slabbed "Authentic" only for 1/1's and I want them to look the same, but I don't want to risk destroying a 1/1 card by cracking it out, so then I would do BGS in that one situation. Other than that, BGS is not for me anymore.

Did I forget to mention that PSA is a bigger company, with a longer reputation, and they will always be the premier grading company respected by top notch collectors, while Beckett is looked at more as something for the new generation. So I guess in a 100 years they may be looked at as a better company, who knows Big Grin haha
I agree with a lot of what you said. Of course, some of that stuff is just cosmetics and it just comes down to personal preference. I also like PSA over BGS for a number of reasons. And I've also noticed the grading standards of BGS have gone down hill a bit lately. They just don't seem as strict as they used to.
Another reason I find BGS the lesser of the 2 companies is their overall attitude towards certain things. A recent problem I had with PSA was over a counterfeit card I sent in and I spoke with the Head of Operations
about it. He was very willing to listen to what I had to say and in the end he agreed that I was right (he also requested I send him a detailed email on the specifics of the fake card, which I did) and he would pass the info on to their research department.
The exact same situation happened with BGS (same card even) and they refused to listen. They held the attitude that their word is final and to not even consider that they might be wrong. In fact, them seemed a little angry to have their "authority" challenged. Now, don't think I'm totally hating on BGS. I think they are a very good company with quality
standards and they've done a lot for the hobby. It's true that BGS is one of the main companies that hold a collective archive of info on cards/memorabilia, but they seem to have forgotten something very important- most of the info they gather comes from us, the collectors on the ground.

*If you would like more specifics on the card I sent in and the conversations I had with PSA & BGS just ask.*

I like PSA. I am a vintage collector and I find PSA are solid with the grades. BGS have nicer cases and I do like the subgrades however I do like that the PSA case is smaller and better for storage and display.
Collecting Vintage OPC and older oddball and food issues as well as Maple Leafs.

Enjoy the hobby at it's purest form, treat it as you did as a kid.

A psa10 jordan rc with trimmed edge was sold thru pwcc just recently. The trimmed edge was very obvious coz it wasnt trimmed very straight.

For me, it's honestly mostly aesthetics. All grading is subject, by either company. I am not sure what the grading practices are in terms of whether or not the grades are double or triple checked, or what have you, but I know they are done by people. I have heard that grading takes a major toll on the eyes, and over time, that person's eyesight may suffer. One thing I would like to see, not exactly on the holder, but somewhere (and maybe it's there and I do not know about it), is who graded the cards. This way, you may be able to see the consistencies (or inconsistencies). Maybe we could request a specific grader (but then maybe people would suggest the grader with the lowest standards). But I know there have been PSA 9's that have jumped to BGS 10's and vice versa.

But again, for me it is aesthetic reasons that I prefer BGS over PSA. I am not a fan of the color red, nor green really (though I am a Michigan State fan). I am a fan of silver, I can tolerate gold, and I would love to get a black one. I believe BGS even has a blue label for custom labels or something, and blue is my favorite color. Then you have the logos. The Beckett logo to me is more appealing than the letters PSA. I love seeing the sub grades, and it helps me evaluate my cards that I do not have graded. And my OCD likes the sharp edges of the BGS holder than the rounded ones of PSA.

At one point in time, I wanted to get all of my Pistons PC graded. I will very likely never afford that, and even if I could, I'm not sure it would be the best use of my money. My main reason for wanting to get them graded was for storage purposes. I wanted to make sure that in case of flood (because I doubt they can withstand fire) or dropping, that my cards were protected. Honestly, I've now resorted to just trying to get all of them into top loaders. It's still going to cost more than I want it to, but it's more reasonable. Also thinking about trying to get some bags to put the top loaders in. So they'll be in sleeves, in top loaders, in bags. Unfortunately, my box slots don't fit the top loaders very well.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards