`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are auto's overrated?

RE: are auto's overrated?
I think they are so overproduced, especially with rookies, that it kills the value. I was picking up some non Packers autographs for my sister's boyfriend and was able to get alot of them around $1 a piece which seems crazy. When there are thousands of autographs out there for each specific player it really waters the market down, especially for the scrub guys that only hardcore team collectors or people that PC that specific player collect.

I'm going after one autograph of every Packers player, but don't go after multiples of the same guy unless it holds some special value to me like Donald Driver. The only guys I really care to collect multiple autographs of are guys in my player PCs and between those 3 players, there are about 40 total produced cards and only two are autographs. 1 is /50, which I have and the other is /8, which I'm still looking for. I wish they overproduced and even had more base and inserts of my players, but that is just the world of collecting.
[Image: alanch-1.png]
-Banner Courtesy of rogue655-

Jim Leonhard Needs:
2005 Longevity Holofoil /25
2009 SPx Super Scripts Autographs Eight /8

Joel Effertz Needs:
2013 Bowman Draft Black Paper /1, Black Plate /1, Cyan Plate /1

thanks for your thoughts guys.. and to the blake bortles collector this was NOT knock on you so you know, just an example guy lol. I have PCS that consist of just autos but they aren't big named guys. I think the hobby needs less autographs or more rarity.. it sucks buying a box having a feeling you KNOW what youre gonna get before even unsealing it.
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

(10-22-2015, 04:13 PM)jfrench91 Wrote: I think the hobby needs less autographs or more rarity.. it sucks buying a box having a feeling you KNOW what youre gonna get before even unsealing it.
I agree though I don't think the answer is a bunch of palette shifted cards that are /5 black, /10 blue, /15 green, /20 red, /25 magenta, etc etc. Fun for the player collector or team builder (/15 green for packer fans, /20 for chiefs, and so on) but maybe not enough to stand on it's own to make up for fewer autos. I thought 2014 Topps Fire and 2015 Panini Clear Vision were excellent new products to try.