`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
are auto's overrated?

are auto's overrated?
I feel like autograph cards are a bit overrated anymore because there are just SO many of them. There are even more autos of certain players than others. There are a TON of traders who refuse to trade unless its an auto for an auto or trade for ONLY autos. I get it.. you can collect whatever you want to collect etc etc.. but my question is WHY? unless your PC is of someone with very low amount of cards then I get it but if you PC someone like Blake Bortles autos what is the attraction? what makes you satisfied with JUST autos? I mean I like your blake bortles autos but it seems like everybody and anybody can have one or does have one. You know whats cool though? would be the blake bortles NON AUTO red chrome refractor or gold chrome refractor.. etc. I think you get my point.. what is everyone elses thoughts on this? I don't get the hype of it... yeah you have 19 Bortles autos(and growing) but there are thousands of autos of him.. but theres only 25 of that red chrome non auto.. why wouldn't that be cooler? ya know? thoughts and opinions a must!

P.S. I just picked blake bortles as an example haha
[Image: TT8dhuE.png]
Collecting Terrell Owens,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning, Josh Hamilton, Alex Smith
If you don't have any HIGH end cards, please don't try to acquire one of mine. Thank you.

RE: are auto's overrated?
I personally only need/want one auto of a player. However if I find one of a player that I already have that I like better I will buy or chase it. For example, I am a Giants fan and I have a beautiful 2014 Five Star Silver Signatures Eli. It's all I need because I love the design and it's on card. I may buy another if it's a nice on card patch but otherwise I'm set. Now the OBJ I have is a Prestige sticker auto and I've been trying to get a nicer one. Any extra autos I pull are just trade bait(but not extras of GMen).

I'm with you I don't need every auto of a player only a nice one. I don't even need every parallel except certain colors(Blue, red, black, & gold)

I like autos (have around 360 of them of Packers players), but I have over 6000 Packers cards, so while I like having them, I also like low numbered, parallels, die cuts, etc. I collect just about anything Packers related. I can't speak for others, but I have seen a lot of people who do only collect autos. Probably the type of collector that is prospecting more than collecting.

This coming from the contenders set guy Smile

I like autos and auto jerseys. For me, I will also make a point of picking up jerseys though for inserts with guys I deal with on a regular basis. I have primarily autos and auto jerseys for trade because the folks I don't deal with online pick up autos only. I will pick up inserts from time to time to fill out deals or stuff I think others can use.

I listed my inserts awhile back (took 8 hours) because I wanted to help folks doing sets or folks who want insets and like them. They sit in a box which doesn't travel with me for the most part.

My guy is Fred Taylor. I only pick up autos these days of him since he's no longer around playing and I realized after a decent amount of money spent I wasn't going have all the 1/1s. My coolest pieces of him are the Donruss paintings they did which resulted in the cards.
My Flickr

I'm not fond of wasting my time with folks who can't bother replying to trades or pms. If I don't reply, you're probably on the ignore list.

Honestly, there's a ton of every card out there. Even low numbered parallels, theres 20 different brands out there with the same type of color variations.
Personally, I love patches more than autos, though I like having both when I can! An auto with a nice patch wins the day! But given the choice between an auto and a nice patch, I'll take the patch. Autos are great if you are looking for an investment or selling later, if it's a low number/high demand brand. The hobby is just really saturated. That's why I enjoy doing rainbows. Usually less expensive, flashy, and I hope it keeps people collecting the base and rainbows. Too many rip open a box, barely glance at the base and parallels, and toss them. C'mon card companies, less is more! lol

Over the past five years the value of the autos have gone way way down just like the patch cards due to so many product offerings and the quantity signed. I don't get as excited as I use to especially when I get one and the player signs it with his initials or some other chicken scratch. It defeats the purpose to see that crappy lazy auto on cards. Don't blame the players too much because I think after signing 5000 autos in one sitting I would look for an easier auto to sign instead of my real signature.

Anyone have any Blake Bortles autos FT?

Had to chime in being a Bortles collector. I'm going with quality over quantity with my autos. For what I've spent so far on the 10 autos, probably could be around 25 by now.My latest was a 6way from triple threads, before that it was a black ice #d10/10 encased from those panini black boxes. I agree, easy to go after the basic autos which is why I'm going for nice appearance and different.

When someone signs thousands upon thousands of items, by logic his signature isn't worth anything - unless Beckett tells you it is.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

One thing that I find interesting about collector's mentalities on autographed cards, is that they all get lumped into one giant card that print run goes on until the player stops signing.
Myself? I look at an autograph card as a card that is enhanced by the autograph. I look at a 2014 Immaculate Pro Bowl card as a card /9 that happens to be auto'd. To me, its cooler than most /10 or less cards because no basic inserts of Marino are numbered so low, unless its a parallel with multiple versions. This one is /9 with no other versions, and has a nice auto that shows my PC guy had this card in his possession at one time.
I have a RS Slideshow /15 insert of Marino (no other versions made), and it is a very cool card and I love having it in my collection especially since its the only card like it made of Marino, but I don't value it more than my Spectra Illustrious /15 autograph card, which also has other versions. If anything, I value the Spectra a lot more because of the autograph.
I think if collectors started viewing autograph cards as individual cards rather than lumping them together, prices would actually become stronger, because the majority of autographed cards are very, very scarce inserts with low print runs.
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.