`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Do you want to see more posts like this?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No, keep the reminiscing to yourself.
5.56%
2 5.56%
Yes, please post a new thread every day.
8.33%
3 8.33%
Yes, please add a new post to this thread every day.
86.11%
31 86.11%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Fun card of the day

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/29
(10-30-2015, 11:02 AM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Pretty cool!!! These promos have always been neat to have. Cool seeing him as a 12 year old as well

Yep one of my favorite oddball cards as well. I have 1 just like it.

If you get hung up on smething to post I sure can lend you a hand I have many inserts for the 90's and some real old oddball cards as well.

Very fun thread and brings back some old memories. I remember buying 9 or 10 boxes trying to get that triple out out of 1992 score and out of all those cards I finished 2 sets and pulled the triple base card. In 1993 I trades my Aces already here to a member on Beckett years ago.

In post one my favorite one is with Nolan and Bugs hologram
my favorite pinnacle was the dueling dugouts
the Foul pole were sweet I remember and still own my first one in 1998
Didnt get the Post cards like you but I did get the Craft cheese Both are pretty awesome
The pinnacle starbursts are sweet just like the Museum

My all time favorite is the Ryan/ Ventura card (fighting on the mound. It was like take that you little whipper snapper)

Keep posting really enjoying the thread

[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/29
(10-30-2015, 01:40 PM)waynetalger Wrote: Yep one of my favorite oddball cards as well. I have 1 just like it.

If you get hung up on smething to post I sure can lend you a hand I have many inserts for the 90's and some real old oddball cards as well.

Very fun thread and brings back some old memories. I remember buying 9 or 10 boxes trying to get that triple out out of 1992 score and out of all those cards I finished 2 sets and pulled the triple base card. In 1993 I trades my Aces already here to a member on Beckett years ago.

In post one my favorite one is with Nolan and Bugs hologram
my favorite pinnacle was the dueling dugouts
the Foul pole were sweet I remember and still own my first one in 1998
Didnt get the Post cards like you but I did get the Craft cheese Both are pretty awesome
The pinnacle starbursts are sweet just like the Museum

My all time favorite is the Ryan/ Ventura card (fighting on the mound. It was like take that you little whipper snapper)

Keep posting really enjoying the thread
Thanks for the kind words. I have plenty more cards I plan on posting. There were so many fun cards that came out and people either have forgotten about, never recall seeing, weren't collecting at the time, or simply have fallen off the radar over the years. This thread was meant to reminisce about some of those cards, and maybe even garner some interest and love for those cards.
I am trying to post every day, but sometimes life gets in the way and I will miss a day. If you see it getting late in the evening and I haven't posted yet, feel free to post something for me. This thread is not about me, but rather the cool and fun cards of the past that might have been forgotten.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/30
In 1985 Dwight Gooden had one of the hottest rookie cards in baseball. Back then there were 3 major card companies: Topps, Fleer, and Donruss. So while Gooden had 3 major rookies, because he was so hot he was included in a lot of oddball sets. One of the most unique sets was the 1985 Topps 3D cards, which were truly unique in that the player really popped off the card. The cards were more than twice the size of regular cards, so the players faces really stood out.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

During the early 80s Topps made special team sets sponsored by Coca Cola and other companies as well. The cards typically looked identical to the regular Topps cards of each player with the addition of a Coca Cola logo on the front and back. Since the Royals are now 1 win away from a World Series title, I figured I would use Royals great George Brett as today's card subject.

(10-31-2015, 10:13 PM)djohn Wrote: In 1985 Dwight Gooden had one of the hottest rookie cards in baseball. Back then there were 3 major card companies: Topps, Fleer, and Donruss. So while Gooden had 3 major rookies, because he was so hot he was included in a lot of oddball sets. One of the most unique sets was the 1985 Topps 3D cards, which were truly unique in that the player really popped off the card. The cards were more than twice the size of regular cards, so the players faces really stood out.
Picked up one of these a few months ago. Fun, but storage without squashing the heck out of it is a pain. Finally decided just to put it in a four pocket page at the front of a binder. Will it get "ruined"..maybe, but hey better than it sitting in some random pile that can never be viewed/appreciated. Love the thread.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!

(11-01-2015, 08:54 PM)djohn Wrote: During the early 80s Topps made special team sets sponsored by Coca Cola and other companies as well. The cards typically looked identical to the regular Topps cards
In 1980 there was Burger King; in 1981 there was coke; in 1984 there was Nestle.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 11/1
Since Pete Rose was involved with the World Series telecasts, until other obligations pulled him away, I figured I would find an appropriately fun card of his to share today. I think I found the perfect card... In 1992 The Baseball Enquirer put out a set of cards, they called "Fun Stuff". Each card had comically drawn sketches of a player (or in some cases managers and owners) on the front and a mock interview on the back. Card #48 in the set was one made for Pete Rose, who at the time was known for his willingness to sign anything and everything for money. He was the king of card show signings, and in some ways has still maintained that title. Now, the interesting thing about this set is that Beckett actually lists it as a Non-Sport set and doesn't list the players in it (though there are quite a few big names). I wonder how many player collectors know about this set.
[Image: front.jpg]
[Image: back.jpg]

(11-02-2015, 12:41 PM)djohn Wrote: Since Pete Rose was involved with the World Series telecasts, until other obligations pulled him away, I figured I would find an appropriately fun card of his to share today. I think I found the perfect card... In 1992 The Baseball Enquirer put out a set of cards, they called "Fun Stuff". Each card had comically drawn sketches of a player (or in some cases managers and owners) on the front and a mock interview on the back. Card #48 in the set was one made for Pete Rose, who at the time was known for his willingness to sign anything and everything for money. He was the king of card show signings, and in some ways has still maintained that title. Now, the interesting thing about this set is that Beckett actually lists it as a Non-Sport set and doesn't list the players in it (though there are quite a few big names). I wonder how many player collectors know about this set.
[Image: front.jpg]
[Image: back.jpg]
I had never seen these or heard of these and looked at the checklist and found out my PC player is in the set, thanks for sharing!!!
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

Very humerous! Thanks!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I have the complete set of the Baseball Enquirer cards but didn't know they were listed in Beckett.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html