`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
OT: Spring Training Prospect Watch

RE: OT: Spring Training Prospect Watch
(03-01-2014, 10:50 AM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: And it's official: Miguel Sano to have Tommy John surgery. Well, 2014 was a fun Twins season. Virtually nothing to look forward to now except to see if 90 more losses finally gets Gardy out of town.
Are Twins fans sick of Gardenhire? I always figured he was a well-liked guy. What are the main criticisms? --He hasn't had much to work with the last few years...
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

RE: OT: Spring Training Prospect Watch
(03-09-2014, 01:49 AM)uvaspina Wrote: Are Twins fans sick of Gardenhire? I always figured he was a well-liked guy. What are the main criticisms? --He hasn't had much to work with the last few years...
Minnesota fans are a strange lot - regardless of sport. Many either have such low expectations that not finishing dead last is a win and a minimal amount of success means you're a hero.

I'd say the fan base is very, very split on Gardenhire. I'm on the side that wants him gone.

It's true that the last three years have been bad and it's primarily because the players he's been given to work with have been awful.

My problems with him actually goes back much further than that. When he took over for Tom Kelly in 2002, the other "finalist" was Paul Molitor. Terry Ryan (who was buddies with Gardy back when both were in the Mets organization) chose Gardy over Molitor ... I thought then it was the wrong decision.

Kelly suffered through the growing pains with the teams that Gardy had his most success and basically handed him a team that was ready to win and he wasn't able to do it. Division titles are great, but that's all he's done with two MVPs, a 2-time Cy Young winner and a bunch of other really good players.

My biggest issues with him are: a) his inability to develop young talent - aside from Mauer, virtually nobody that's come up under his watch has gotten better. b) His commitment to awful players and his indifference to ones that don't fit his style. He embraces guys like Nick Punto, Drew Butera and Scott Diamond, while he jettisons guys like Matt Garza, Kyle Lohse and anyone else that shows a bit of fire or personality. c) His commitment to awful coaches that are "his guys." Two of his hitting coaches have been "fired," but are still on the major league staff coaching other areas and Rick Anderson should have been fired many times over, but because he and Gardy have been together for so long, they're a package deal. And because Gardy and Ryan have been together so long, they're a package. Change isn't coming any time soon.

Sorry for the long-winded answer, but I've never been a fan and I think his 6-21 playoff record alone should've got him fired a while ago. I'm terrified that he's going to take all of this high-end talent they have and p!ss it all away.
Kepler