Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt

RE: Graded Wall Display -- My Attempt
Yeah I typed magnets and was thinking metal lol
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

I guess these are catching on. I seem to be getting 1-2 orders pretty regularly. Just had an order yesterday for a 21 card case and an order today from a guy in Guam for a 7 card case.

It's no wonder. You are doing quality work. It has been a pleasure to watch the evolution from your earliest posts to now. Keep it up.
Collecting the following players:
Steve Garvey (177 different cards) --Willie McCovey (168 different cards) --Will Clark (199 different cards) --Mel Ott (132 different cards) --Willie Mays (28 different cards)
=Currently collecting vintage tobacco and tea cards as well as Topps Allen and Ginter=

Well here's the latest updates:

These two are in frame clamps setting up:
[Image: DSC_0390_zps5397eed9.jpg]

One is a single row case for 7 cards that was an ebay sale to a gentleman in Guam. That's the darker mahogany colored one. The red Cabernet one, which is the larger of the two, is a 14 card two row case of my own stupidity. When the order came in from ebay for the one row case on Sunday night, I ran out, grabbed a correct length piece of wood, came back, and with the wrong measurements in my head, cut it up. WHOOPS. But the two pieces I cut the wrong length were the perfect length for the sides of a two row case. So back out Monday morning for another piece, cut three top/bottom pieces, build two at once. Don't need the two row case, but not sure if I'm going to sell it or not. I may hang on to it and make some of the other sizes too and start setting up at the monthly card show as time allows. I'm FINALLY starting my new job next monday (been laid off, horrible job market, but able to survive since November) at the BF Goodrich plant here in town, so my schedule will start rotating around. But that's the hopeful plan is to have 5-7 cases for display purposes at a card show to test the waters there and see what happens.

This case is an order that came in last Saturday, it's a triple row 21 card case, another ebay sale. I'm in the final stages of it right now, finishing up the clear coating process before laying the fabric and fitting the acrylic.

[Image: DSC_0369_zpse7d74298.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0388_zps3304b2be.jpg]

Nothing different about this case, pretty standard at this point.

I think my biggest complaint at this point is how the wood grain on the front surfaces is crosscut almost edge grain, and it doesn't show a nice pattern well at all. If I had the big bucks, I'd get a planer and larger wood stock so I could cut and plane the wood and have the grain were I want it. The finises would look FAR better from the front if I could have the grain flow on that surface rather than the sides.

Well.....the triple is done!

Curing under a heat lamp:
[Image: DSC_0394_zps480bd00c.jpg]

Finito!

[Image: DSC_0396_zps5724046b.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0398_zps0744f0fb.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0399_zps309fa91f.jpg]

I have LITERALLY been up all night finishing the one row frame as I promised that it too would be shipped today. Gotta do what you've gotta do.

This was taken yesterday afternoon, it was just after the final skim coat of stain went on. Started with the clear coat last night, and every couple of hours thereafter throughout the night.

[Image: DSC_0395_zps97a82db1.jpg]

I'm about 2-3 coats from it being good to go, acrylic is cut, so all I've got to do is pop the backboard out, fabric it up, and glue the trim piece to the acrylic, then wrap it up too!

Next up -- A double row 14 card frame in Cabernet that's already assembled and just needs sanding and stain, and I've got just enough acrylic left over for another double row frame so I'll probably do another one today or tomorrow.

Ugh....after the all nighter......she's finished. Finally figured out the solid trick to getting the Minwax Red Mahogany to look RED. Love the stain now.

[Image: DSC_0401_zps96704a71.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0402_zpsd7655f2f.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0404_zps29f91f14.jpg]

Gonna start crack-a-lacking on the 14 card spare case again tonight I guess.

Looking good man!
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Ooh this one's a treat. I just put the second coat of stain on the cabernet (red) case I'm making. It's incredible. Will get pics tomorrow.

Also.....got me a table saw today!!!! Expanded capabilities from this for sure.

The cases are gorgeous. You do VERY nice work!
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Once you master the framing part learn to enhance the interior with cutouts.

See a custom cutout version below-- contains all the Joe Dimaggio 56 game hitting streak bat cards with an autographed photo inside of his last game ( July 16th, 1941 ) when he got his last hit before being shut out on the 17th that year.

Each card has its own "pocket" within to sit in.

Great progress and with your skills increasing if you learn to make bookshelves and other stuff you could have yourself a nice sideline business going Smile

Jeff

[Image: dimaggio-frame.jpg]