`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hey new to the community / site - seeking a bit of advice :)

Hey new to the community / site - seeking a bit of advice :)
Hey New to the forums, used to collect football cards growing up but when I hit high school I met a young kid who just started collecting himself and I decided to give him my entire collection. I missed collecting and decided to get back into it, I decided that I would start my collection off by buying a few auto cards off ebay just to get me started and then start with some box breaks to follow.

I look forward to trading and learning more about collecting from this site and from all of you. My goal is to have a decent sized quality collection, I would like to start having my cards graded and what not.

So my first purchase, the scan looked very clean and the card appeared to be in great shape, but when I received the card I wasn't so sure. The card has a 14 day return policy and I could use some helpful advice on whether I should keep the card or send it back.

This is an andrew luck glory 8/25 topps valor auto, I paid around 270.00 for the card I believe beckett has it listed for 300.00 as mint?

The question(s)
- Would you keep this card or send it back?
- Would you send it for grading to BGS? (having graded cards is my main focus)

Attempted to upload attachment said my pictures were to large - so here are some direct links Big Grin

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/585/luck3.jpg
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/844/2...214853.jpg
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/94/luck2u.jpg

Thanks for viewing my post

RE: Hey new to the community / site - seeking a bit of advice :)
(04-17-2013, 12:37 AM)vickdude Wrote: Hey New to the forums, used to collect football cards growing up but when I hit high school I met a young kid who just started collecting himself and I decided to give him my entire collection. I missed collecting and decided to get back into it, I decided that I would start my collection off by buying a few auto cards off ebay just to get me started and then start with some box breaks to follow.

I look forward to trading and learning more about collecting from this site and from all of you. My goal is to have a decent sized quality collection, I would like to start having my cards graded and what not.

So my first purchase, the scan looked very clean and the card appeared to be in great shape, but when I received the card I wasn't so sure. The card has a 14 day return policy and I could use some helpful advice on whether I should keep the card or send it back.

This is an andrew luck glory 8/25 topps valor auto, I paid around 270.00 for the card I believe beckett has it listed for 300.00 as mint?

The question(s)
- Would you keep this card or send it back?
- Would you send it for grading to BGS? (having graded cards is my main focus)

Attempted to upload attachment said my pictures were to large - so here are some direct links Big Grin

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/585/luck3.jpg
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/844/2...214853.jpg
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/94/luck2u.jpg

Thanks for viewing my post
ok I'm going to do this as a list to make it easy to follow, so please dont take me as rude or abrupt, its just easier lol

1) welcome to the site
2) upload your pictures to photobucket.com and post the /img codes (image shack might have /img codes as well, but idk because I've never used it)
3) what description did the seller post for the card, because you do seem to have seperation of the back (tends to happen with thick cards like that
4) 300 is not the mint value of the card, mint on this site is HIGHER than the 100% value of the card, which is NmMt (most of us trade at NmMt at that level unless the card is graded higher)
5) the Nm/Mt value IS what you said
6) If he didn't mention the seperation you may want to contact him about it, see what you can work out. Some seller's do partial refunds if there's damage to the card that wasn't specified in the listing, you may just have to ask to return it
7) Depending on how big that seperation is (kind of hard to tell in the photo) I'd send it back, in Nm grade (7) It has HALF the value of the Nm/Mt
8) DO NOT GRADE IT lol if there's a flaw that you and I can see (who aren't trained) they will DEFINITELY see it and frankly with most modern cards if it's not a 9 or higher, grading doesn't really help the value
9)if you want them to, Beckett will encapsulate the card with an AUTHENTIC sticker, that gives you the protection of a case without the lower grade
10) Hope I helped welcome to the site, I know that was a long list Tongue

[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

Welcome to the site - If the card has visible damage outside of the normal "chipping" then I would send it back.
Collecting = Peyton Manning
Manning PC

Just curious, but why are graded cards your primary focus?

If you are truly looking only for cards that are to be graded, I would definitely stick to thin stock cards, just to be safe. (Especially if buying them based on Ebay scans.) Also- if you are only buying cards with the intention of having them graded, I would bet you are going to have a VERY difficult time (impossible?) getting cards that all grade well. There is a reason I don't want all of my cards graded- if I am not relatively sure it will grade a 9+, I don't send it, and that is a LOT of them. Every time I send cards in to be graded, I put a minimum of 8.5 on it. If it is under that, I don't want them graded. If you are planning to have ALL your cards graded, you will have a ton with sub-par grades, unless you are ok with buying multiples until you get a really nice one. But the chances of you buying only 9+ grade worthy cards is slim to none, especially if you are buying them without being able to see it in person first.

(04-17-2013, 09:09 AM)joe callahan13 Wrote: Just curious, but why are graded cards your primary focus?

If you are truly looking only for cards that are to be graded, I would definitely stick to thin stock cards, just to be safe. (Especially if buying them based on Ebay scans.) Also- if you are only buying cards with the intention of having them graded, I would bet you are going to have a VERY difficult time (impossible?) getting cards that all grade well. There is a reason I don't want all of my cards graded- if I am not relatively sure it will grade a 9+, I don't send it, and that is a LOT of them. Every time I send cards in to be graded, I put a minimum of 8.5 on it. If it is under that, I don't want them graded. If you are planning to have ALL your cards graded, you will have a ton with sub-par grades, unless you are ok with buying multiples until you get a really nice one. But the chances of you buying only 9+ grade worthy cards is slim to none, especially if you are buying them without being able to see it in person first.
definitely agree, if that's still a route you want to follow, consider buying stuff already graded. It'll cost more, but save you a ton of time and frustration!
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

My whole Manning PC will eventually be graded. In the process now with autos and RC's. I buy graded and raw to grade and pick up replacements for ones that grade low and will be selling off the ones I have dupes of or lower grades of. My A.J. Green PC will be graded as well. Doing the same tho my AJ PC is no where near going to be the extent of my Manning PC. Manning is my keeper, AJ is my "investment". My Jenny PC will also be graded - I intend to get all of her cards. My Magic Master set will eventually be graded as well. Tho I have only picked up a few replacements as I intend to finish it first. My goal is to have as many 9.5's as possible and I will keep buying replacements until I get the 9.5 I want. The reasoning is this:

In time any graded card will bring a premium. There is absolutely no discussion on a cards grade when selling or trading as it is right there on the slab. 9 times out of 10 I can sell an 8.5 or a 9 for more than I paid for the raw and grading costs. You can also find some gems for cheap. And rare cards are hard to find in a 9.5 so buying raw is the only chance of getting one. Short term this is not a good idea but over time I think I will work out having a great PC that in the end didnt really cost me much to obtain.
Manning PC

Hey thanks for the responses, the card was listed with a single scan, so I was unable to see the chipping - I contacted the seller asking to return the card or have a partial refund to which we can work out. Just waiting on the response.

I wanted to have a fully graded personal collection, I was thinking of building a glass mounted display case (just an idea - haven't looked any further then just thinking of this) and having them on display.

I bought my first graded card yesterday, 1993 SP ROOKIE RC MARK BRUNELL #91 PERFECT GEM MINT 10 (probably my favorite QB next to Steve Young).

Received a lot of info from your posts I really appreciate the help

Since you are new to grading I want to warn you - Stick to the big 3 - BGS/BVG, PSA and SGC. Dont buy BCCG, GEM or any other knockoff grading company. They are not what they seem.
Manning PC

Which company did the grading?
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram