`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What is it going to take?

RE: What is it going to take?
(04-06-2013, 12:18 AM)giants1957 Wrote: the way you do it.....what is the percentage they respond?
Hmmmmm, never really figured that. I do make a point to see if they are actually active and not someone who hasn't logged in for awhile. I usually choose some of the newer cards to see who might need it as its more likely they've been on recently.

I don't advertise what I want as much anymore, if I want something I see who has it, see which person that has it was on recently and then send them an offer. Basically I hunt for my needs now instead of starting threads and scanning my best cards cause usually it is a waste of time. A lot of the members here aren't publicly looking for trades as much as others but those have been my best trades honestly. There are good trades out there just dig a little deeper for them.

One thing that drives me crazy is people who assume that people will trade their relics and autos for base cards, that's my biggest pet peeve! Its cool to ask me to check them for one of my best cards but if i send you an offer for 25.00 in base cards I'm not gonna give you one 25.00 Bryce Harper card for them!!!

I mainly sell cards and buy my needs on the bay but love to do base trades here!
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

(04-06-2013, 03:58 AM)ryanmo5 Wrote: One thing that drives me crazy is people who assume that people will trade their relics and autos for base cards, that's my biggest pet peeve! Its cool to ask me to check them for one of my best cards but if i send you an offer for 25.00 in base cards I'm not gonna give you one 25.00 Bryce Harper card for them!!!
Eh, some people will do this if a person has a bunch of base that they need. For me personally, I recall a few years ago trading a Ripken GU card of some sort for a bunch of base from the '08 Masterpieces set. I think the BV was $40 going to him and $60 coming to me. On another occasion, I traded $100 worth of Ripken base and inserts to someone for a $40 Johnny Pesky AU card.

I figure it's going to cost me much more to try and get the base cards I'd need from multiple outlets so if I can get a bunch from one source, that'll ultimately cut down on the money spent shipping and whatnot so I'd have no issues giving up a GU or AU card for them.

With that said, I wouldn't expect equal BV to BV which is what it seems you're talking about.

(04-06-2013, 07:34 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Eh, some people will do this if a person has a bunch of base that they need. For me personally, I recall a few years ago trading a Ripken GU card of some sort for a bunch of base from the '08 Masterpieces set. I think the BV was $40 going to him and $60 coming to me. On another occasion, I traded $100 worth of Ripken base and inserts to someone for a $40 Johnny Pesky AU card.

I figure it's going to cost me much more to try and get the base cards I'd need from multiple outlets so if I can get a bunch from one source, that'll ultimately cut down on the money spent shipping and whatnot so I'd have no issues giving up a GU or AU card for them.

With that said, I wouldn't expect equal BV to BV which is what it seems you're talking about.
I completely agree 100%.

Now a days what is really the difference between your regular base cards and inserts to autos and gu cards. The market is completely flooded with autos and gu used cards its not hard to get a hold of anyone anymore. When you can pick off a Ruth gu used card for barely a $100. BV is BV! Another example you can pick a Hank Aaron auto off for $30-$50 I mean come on 10 years ago you couldn't touch cards like this of these HOF players for less than $500. Autos are nice and unique but these is no satisfaction pulling them anymore unless they are limited to less than /25 even then if the players garbage the card still isn't worth much of anything. Then its finding that one guy that would give anything to own that card.

https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

I was always willing to trade my auto's and g/u for my set needs, that's probably why I have none left.
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(04-06-2013, 11:49 AM)petesahuttt Wrote: I was always willing to trade my auto's and g/u for my set needs, that's probably why I have none left.

So was I. The way I see it, if I have a stack of cards I don't want, and they can get me some cards I do, I'm better off making that trade. I think there are a lot of people who feel the same way.

I guess I just don't understand why people get worked up about an offer they don't like. Just say no and move on. I think people take it way too personally, when different collectors just have different styles of collecting.

(04-04-2013, 07:29 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I think people just need to start posting relevant baseball topics. I've seen plenty of interesting threads/topics with plenty of page views but very few comments. Hopefully as the season really gets going it'll pick up. The past few months I can understand as it's downtime for baseball.

In regards to trades, I've found that I was able to complete more trades just by clicking on cards in my ORG, seeing who needed them, and then working from there. More than a few times I've traded with, or almost traded with, people I've never heard of or seen before and only use the site for trading/ORG and don't post on the boards that much, if at all.
I agree with that. I have done a few trades with members who don't post very often, but have been on the site longer than me. They may be on the site almost every day, but just do not like to post 1000 threads a week.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

(04-06-2013, 07:34 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Eh, some people will do this if a person has a bunch of base that they need. For me personally, I recall a few years ago trading a Ripken GU card of some sort for a bunch of base from the '08 Masterpieces set. I think the BV was $40 going to him and $60 coming to me. On another occasion, I traded $100 worth of Ripken base and inserts to someone for a $40 Johnny Pesky AU card.

Yeah I'm sure some people especially set collectors will be more than willing to let good trade bait like that go for set needs, it makes sense money wise as you said. I guess I'm a different trader than most cause I will take my time and piece together sets over time with the base I have while using my best trade bait only for equal value PC needs or other trade bait. I don't have a ton of money to spend on the hobby so when I do have something good I have to make it count.
[Image: drdwe0.jpg]

I agree with one of the earlier responses about quality over quantity. I read the forums here and on blowout's forum. Both have good information, the blowout forum may have more traffic but there is no way in hell I'd trade there. Way too many trolls and morons. This site seems to have a good community of reliable traders, which I think is much better than a really busy forum where you can't be sure the person you are trying to deal with isn't going to rip you off. Plus I don't trade as much once I starting using comc to move stuff I don't want. But I still post my box breaks here and that's the best time to hit me up for a trade.

(04-06-2013, 01:39 PM)ryanmo5 Wrote: Yeah I'm sure some people especially set collectors will be more than willing to let good trade bait like that go for set needs, it makes sense money wise as you said. I guess I'm a different trader than most cause I will take my time and piece together sets over time with the base I have while using my best trade bait only for equal value PC needs or other trade bait. I don't have a ton of money to spend on the hobby so when I do have something good I have to make it count.
As a set builder I always trade my inserts/auto/jsy cards for base cards I need, but like you said it makes sense for me and others who collect like me. I don't want these type of cards unless it is a Tiger. For you it can be completely different and that's ok, there is no right or wrong way to collect. When you think about it the best trades that come my way is when I trade with somebody with the opposite philosophy and focus in collecting. They don't want base but do want inserts/autos/jsy while I want their base and happy to pass along the inserts/autos/jsy. Most I have traded with also go by BV as the basis of fair trade. Often I will offer my trading partner to go over my BV because I am getting more cards, and especially in the last few months your shipping will be 4-5 bucks more than mine due to the border crossing.
[Image: 1WFtDI1.png]
Building Base sets and Collecting All Tigers
Looking for 1951 Red Back #36 Gus Zernial JUST ONE MORE TO GO!!!!!!!