`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grading Question regarding 4 criteria

Grading Question regarding 4 criteria
Just getting back into the hobby, still a bit to learn.

If a card has earned a total grade of 9.5.

Does it matter what the individual 4 scores are? Or as long as the final grade is a 9.5 it doesn't matter how you got there.

I generally consider corners to be most important, but if a final score is a 9.5 does it matter if corners were a 9 and everything else was higher?

Or will the selling value be the same between cards as long as final score is the same?

I know which particular card can be a factor, so lets assume the card doesn't have any unique condition characteristics.

Thanks for any info

RE: Grading Question regarding 4 criteria
Some people prefer better subgrades but to me if its a 9.5, it's a 9.5.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

What are the preferred sub grades? In general if two cards have the same final grade, they price the same right?

It's more like if you get a 9.5,9.5,9.5,10 compared to a 9.5,9.5,9.5,9. The one with the 10 will fetch a little better money. Some people like cards that have 9.5's on the edges, corners and centering. If the surface grade is low I know guys that will bust the card out of the slab, clean up the surface and resubmit it.
[Image: iH7PVE8.png]
[Image: haze_zps7d62355a.jpg]

personally i dont card but i agree that others like better subs

What are the popular 2 criteria? Do people have all different preferences?

I would imagine corners then centering or edges were most important.

If buying a 9.5 bgs card, I think I'd prefer the corners were a 9.5 not a 9.. But i doubt that would really affect the value too much. Just being overly critical.

(03-30-2013, 03:17 PM)Drewbrusca Wrote: Just getting back into the hobby, still a bit to learn.

If a card has earned a total grade of 9.5.

Does it matter what the individual 4 scores are? Or as long as the final grade is a 9.5 it doesn't matter how you got there.

I generally consider corners to be most important, but if a final score is a 9.5 does it matter if corners were a 9 and everything else was higher?

Or will the selling value be the same between cards as long as final score is the same?

I know which particular card can be a factor, so lets assume the card doesn't have any unique condition characteristics.

Thanks for any info
I'd like to add something. To get a 9.5 you have to get at least (3) 9.5's & (1) 9

OR (3) 10's & (1) 8.5. And I think in this case, the 8.5 can only come on the surface Grade. At least, that's how it is on mine.
Here it is:
[Image: 1985Topps-RB_7_BGS95_6582191_2nd95Graded.jpg]
(03-30-2013, 06:39 PM)Drewbrusca Wrote: What are the popular 2 criteria? Do people have all different preferences?

I would imagine corners then centering or edges were most important.

If buying a 9.5 bgs card, I think I'd prefer the corners were a 9.5 not a 9.. But i doubt that would really affect the value too much. Just being overly critical.
Actually, to be critical, it's Centering, then Corners, then Edges, then Surface.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Corners and centering are most important. -I pay more attention to the overall grade (rather than than the individual subgrades). If I were picking between 2 cards that have the same overall grade, i'd pick the one that had a 10.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

Thanks for the info guys. Centering and corners makes the most sense. If I'm going to spend on a card that's an overall 9.5 or better. My preference will be to have corners at 9.5. Corners have always been the first thing I cared about as a kid.

This all started bc I was going to bid on a trout card with a 9.5 overall but a 9 on corners. I had a feeling I'd be happier waiting for one with a 9.5 at the corners. Now I'm sure of it.

(03-31-2013, 09:54 AM)Drewbrusca Wrote: Thanks for the info guys. Centering and corners makes the most sense. If I'm going to spend on a card that's an overall 9.5 or better. My preference will be to have corners at 9.5. Corners have always been the first thing I cared about as a kid.

This all started bc I was going to bid on a trout card with a 9.5 overall but a 9 on corners. I had a feeling I'd be happier waiting for one with a 9.5 at the corners. Now I'm sure of it.
Eye appeal is also very important to me. When you looked at the card did you notice any defects of the corners that really made a difference being mint instead of gem mint? I would purchase a card if it looked great without any naked eye visible differences.