Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First show as dealer any advice?
Thumbs Up 
First show as dealer any advice?
Setting up Monday for the first time at a show. Any advice at all would be great but especially selection and pricing. Thanks

RE: First show as dealer any advice?
My big recommendation would be making sure you have some kind of case for your singles ... it's very easy to grab cards off a table without being noticed if there are two or three other people chatting up the dealer.

Also, bring plenty of change ... especially 1s, 5s, 10s ... a lot of people forget to do this, and there are tons of buyers who will hand you a 20 for $3 in single cards ...

Another good idea is to bring someone with you ... two reasons ... one, they can help keep an eye on things (especially helpful if you need to go to the restroom or grab some food), and two, it's nice to have someone to talk to.

In addition to what rjcj said, don't forget small paper bags or plastic shopping bags for your customers to carry their purchases.

Since this is your first show, it will be unlikely for you to have showcases of your own. Check to see if someone you know might have one (or more). If not, you will pretty much have to have someone with you for theft deterrence, lunch, bathroom breaks, seeing what others have, etc. Basically for anytime you leave the table.

Also, have an idea what you want for your cards. If you have dime, quarter, or dollar boxes, then you are in good shape with those. If you are selling sets, wax, or loose singles, people will ask what you want for them if they are not pre-priced. It is frustrating when you ask someone what they want for a card and they have to go to a price guide/laptop/phone to look up a card.

In addition to having change (coins and small bills), if you have the funds to do so, have some extra money for when people come in looking to sell stuff.

Above all, have fun!
Collecting Doug Waechter (118/149), Jared Sandberg (107/125), 1994-95 BB Michael Jordan (69/89), 1977-1997 Eddie Murray (877/943), and Bo Jackson BB/FB 1986-1995 (447/486), 2007 Fleer Mini Gold (126/370). Only completing trades with something on my lists.

I am def going to get change to have on hand. I dont have a case but I am brining someone.
Any thoughts on what sells well? I need to do some serious sorting. I have my better RC, autos, and GU ready but not sure about lower end stuff.

(10-05-2012, 09:19 PM)minitracer Wrote: I am def going to get change to have on hand. I dont have a case but I am brining someone.
Any thoughts on what sells well? I need to do some serious sorting. I have my better RC, autos, and GU ready but not sure about lower end stuff.
Bargain boxes tend to do well ... put a bunch of cards you really don't care about in a 5,000-count box, mark them all at 50 cents or 3 for a dollar (or whatever), and people will go through them.

They add up pretty fast ... and you're right, the RCs, autos and game-used are usually the big draws.

I would say another thing I have found is be willing to negotiate as many people will ask if you will take less for a card than its marked. That kinda goes in hand with who it is/what it is.
[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/

(10-05-2012, 10:34 PM)totally sports Wrote: I would say another thing I have found is be willing to negotiate as many people will ask if you will take less for a card than its marked. That kinda goes in hand with who it is/what it is.
Yeah, I agree ... leave yourself some wiggle room on the pricing. If you REALLY want $10 on a card, mark it 12-15 ... or, be prepared for someone to walk away from it.

All the input is great! I will definately try these ideas and let you guys know how I make out. Thanks again.

Make sure everything is priced

Yeah bargain bins are a hit at shows. And make sure to have the rest in penny sleeves and toploaders, that is the mems, autos, and important RCs.
[Image: k4VFlSs.png] [Image: xnRMc6d.png]

I collect Dirk Hayhurst.
Thank you jbel4331 for the banner!