`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Selling Cards as a Job

Selling Cards as a Job
How much do Hobby Shop Owners make or Power Sellers on ebay? If you had to guess. People doing this full time?

[Image: gYJFXps.png]

RE: Selling Cards as a Job
Not trying to give a smart remark but it's just like any other self run business, you can make as much as you want if you work hard at it.

(03-05-2012, 08:24 PM)cmurphy342 Wrote: How much do Hobby Shop Owners make or Power Sellers on ebay? If you had to guess. People doing this full time?
[Image: Hof_zpsa29cd41a.png]

If you smoke in your home, please don't trade me.

Understand that. Just curious is some raw numbers that people know?

I agree, the more you put in the more you get out in anything in life especially business.

I own a consulting firm but would love to maybe do this.

Most likely stick with online. the retail store is too much risk.
[Image: gYJFXps.png]

(03-05-2012, 08:24 PM)cmurphy342 Wrote: How much do Hobby Shop Owners make or Power Sellers on ebay? If you had to guess. People doing this full time?
I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
Collecting Eric Hosmer and Alex Gordon
[Image: tperks.gif]
Do not trade list: charbs1111

(03-05-2012, 08:33 PM)tperks76 Wrote: I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
OMG!!! Just like me..open a ton, sell what I can that in not PC, lose $$ every time, sometimes get lucky with a $300 card, but mostly $10 cards.
Powerseller forever...
Do not do it to make $$ or I would be homeless!!
Guess I could make $$, but then it would not be fun, it would be a job and I have one already..
Truly hobby....
Smile 
(03-05-2012, 08:33 PM)tperks76 Wrote: I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
How about the previous year of the last year?

Re-quote for an answer... Thanks.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

If I'm not mistaken, Jacobystealshome would probably be a good guy to ask, as I believe he makes his living in the card business (albeit, perhaps not as a shop owner). There are some other guys on here who own or work at shops.

I bet it's harder than we give them credit for. We complain about paying $75 for a hobby box from the LCS when we can get one on the bay for $63, but it can't be easy making rent, paying yourself (and maybe an employee) when you have to tie up so much money in product and only clear maybe $15/box.

On a semi-related note, most of us wouldn't think twice about spending $3 on a miller lite at a bar, plus a $1 tip (when we could have the same bottle of beer at home for .90 cents) yet we'll complain about the high mark-up (20%?) on a guy trying to make an honest go of it. -I don't pretend to be blameless in this regard either. We all only have so much money to spend on cards and want to make it stretch the furthest. Still, a lot of time I think we shortchange ourselves in the end.

I tell you what though, there's something to be said for making a living doing what you like to do.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

hi, ive been a part time sports card seller for 10 years, a full time seller for 6

i cant - wont - give specifics on how much i make, however, i make a living at it, and havent had to have a boss.

unlike what the poster above says: it isnt about how much work you do. if you work 24 hours a day, you wont become rich, just because you are working. you aint getting paid hourly

but i usually work 14 hours day, but im a one man operation. no employees to pay, etc etc etc

the three keys to making money: UPFRONT CAPITAL, MARKET RESEARCH, CLEAN SUPPLY LINES

if you dont have at least 5 grand to start with - MINIMUM - it will take you years to get off the ground.
if you dont know the market, you wont make money
if you dont have a ready (and consistent) supply of cards, that you can buy at a price that you can make a profit on, you will fail.

(03-05-2012, 08:43 PM)uvaspina Wrote: I tell you what though, there's something to be said for making a living doing what you like to do.
Very true. That is why I am currently a student at 37!

I fear stressing over making money would make me hate the hobby. I just buy wax that i can afford to not make anything off and any sales are bonus.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]