Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Selling Cards as a Job
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How much do Hobby Shop Owners make or Power Sellers on ebay? If you had to guess. People doing this full time?

Not trying to give a smart remark but it's just like any other self run business, you can make as much as you want if you work hard at it.

(03-05-2012, 08:24 PM)cmurphy342 Wrote: [ -> ]How much do Hobby Shop Owners make or Power Sellers on ebay? If you had to guess. People doing this full time?
Understand that. Just curious is some raw numbers that people know?

I agree, the more you put in the more you get out in anything in life especially business.

I own a consulting firm but would love to maybe do this.

Most likely stick with online. the retail store is too much risk.
(03-05-2012, 08:24 PM)cmurphy342 Wrote: [ -> ]How much do Hobby Shop Owners make or Power Sellers on ebay? If you had to guess. People doing this full time?
I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
(03-05-2012, 08:33 PM)tperks76 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
OMG!!! Just like me..open a ton, sell what I can that in not PC, lose $$ every time, sometimes get lucky with a $300 card, but mostly $10 cards.
Powerseller forever...
Do not do it to make $$ or I would be homeless!!
Guess I could make $$, but then it would not be fun, it would be a job and I have one already..
Truly hobby....
(03-05-2012, 08:33 PM)tperks76 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm an Ebay Powerseller, and I'm about $15,000 to the negative for the last year. Powerseller means nothing. In my case, it means I opened a ton of wax and sold alot of stuff that wasn't for my pc to try to buy more wax and pc stuff, but to me, this is also a hobby, so I do what I enjoy instead of look at the money aspect of it.
How about the previous year of the last year?

Re-quote for an answer... Thanks.
If I'm not mistaken, Jacobystealshome would probably be a good guy to ask, as I believe he makes his living in the card business (albeit, perhaps not as a shop owner). There are some other guys on here who own or work at shops.

I bet it's harder than we give them credit for. We complain about paying $75 for a hobby box from the LCS when we can get one on the bay for $63, but it can't be easy making rent, paying yourself (and maybe an employee) when you have to tie up so much money in product and only clear maybe $15/box.

On a semi-related note, most of us wouldn't think twice about spending $3 on a miller lite at a bar, plus a $1 tip (when we could have the same bottle of beer at home for .90 cents) yet we'll complain about the high mark-up (20%?) on a guy trying to make an honest go of it. -I don't pretend to be blameless in this regard either. We all only have so much money to spend on cards and want to make it stretch the furthest. Still, a lot of time I think we shortchange ourselves in the end.

I tell you what though, there's something to be said for making a living doing what you like to do.
hi, ive been a part time sports card seller for 10 years, a full time seller for 6

i cant - wont - give specifics on how much i make, however, i make a living at it, and havent had to have a boss.

unlike what the poster above says: it isnt about how much work you do. if you work 24 hours a day, you wont become rich, just because you are working. you aint getting paid hourly

but i usually work 14 hours day, but im a one man operation. no employees to pay, etc etc etc

the three keys to making money: UPFRONT CAPITAL, MARKET RESEARCH, CLEAN SUPPLY LINES

if you dont have at least 5 grand to start with - MINIMUM - it will take you years to get off the ground.
if you dont know the market, you wont make money
if you dont have a ready (and consistent) supply of cards, that you can buy at a price that you can make a profit on, you will fail.

(03-05-2012, 08:43 PM)uvaspina Wrote: [ -> ]I tell you what though, there's something to be said for making a living doing what you like to do.
Very true. That is why I am currently a student at 37!

I fear stressing over making money would make me hate the hobby. I just buy wax that i can afford to not make anything off and any sales are bonus.
Pages: 1 2