`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you want in a LCS??

What do you want in a LCS??
We are edging closer to our new shop being constructed and im always curious to know what others shops do that are successful and unsuccessful in the eyes of a collector. Describe what you would like to see in a shop and post any pictures of your shop that you may have.
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

RE: What does your LCS look like?
One of the biggest things I hate is going to a shop that is unorganized and has stuff just crammed everywhere. Those are the places that never seem to have enough room to move around in and spread cards out to look at them.

(02-16-2012, 11:15 AM)piyn Wrote: One of the biggest things I hate is going to a shop that is unorganized and has stuff just crammed everywhere. Those are the places that never seem to have enough room to move around in and spread cards out to look at them.
Yup. That's mine to a T. Nice guys, but it would take a month of sundays to find the vintage I'm looking for. I should just offer to work there one day a week in the summer to organize their stuff, and get paid in cards. (As if I have time.)
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

Choices. Its important that the shop have choices in all unopened material and singles, as well as "junk boxes" at affordable prices (below $50) to scratch that itch.
http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af262/dayton310/

DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2 DO NOT TRADE: MGRUBER2
R.O.A. (DO NOT TRADE) THE GREAT 48

My guys is very organized, all his high dollar cards he has behinde the counter, you ask him he gets it out for you to look at. He also hass all his commons done by year and sport , team and player on the selfs in monster boxes. He has tables in the middle of the room for you to pull them down and search thru them. I love my LCS. He is a great guy, and because of this I pay more for hobby boxes from him, rather tha. Order online ! Also I know he dosent weight his boxes. People have to trust you, if I didn't trust him, I wouldn't buy there.

There's only one Card Shop close to me (about 25mins. away),and it's terrible. There is stuff everywhere! Boxes upon boxes and binders upon binders. None marked very well,no organization,and way too overpriced. I know times are tough for all,but trying to sell me a card that books for $10 for....TEN dollars is insane! I don't go anymore. Can't believe that guy is still there.

So I'm not lucky enough to have any of the good LCS's I hear about near me. If I go to Charlottesville(VA) to visit my Grandma,there's a nice one out there,but she usually drives down here so I don't go much.

Basically, YOU GUYS are my LCS hahaha,and thank you Tongue
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

The best thing I have seen in a card shop was a wheel. Kids can spin the wheel for a dollar or 6 spins for 5 dollars. Every single spin wins a card or a pack of cards, or else its gambling. There is one grand prize spot on the wheel where they can win a complete set or a nicer prize. There are some days when business isn't good but you can always rely on the wheel to bring in some moolah. I would also recommend that you be organized by players and teams, and have plenty of unopened product readily available. You will learn fast what your clients do and don't want. I would cater to those needs and wants. Hope this helps. Just my .02

(02-16-2012, 11:45 AM)rob024420 Wrote: The best thing I have seen in a card shop was a wheel. Kids can spin the wheel for a dollar or 6 spins for 5 dollars. Every single spin wins a card or a pack of cards, or else its gambling. There is one grand prize spot on the wheel where they can win a complete set or a nicer prize. There are some days when business isn't good but you can always rely on the wheel to bring in some moolah. I would also recommend that you be organized by players and teams, and have plenty of unopened product readily available. You will learn fast what your clients do and don't want. I would cater to those needs and wants. Hope this helps. Just my .02
The wheel thing seems pretty cool. We have been in business for 20 years but are always looking for new ideas for displays to change things up. We know what our regulars like but at the new shop we will try the impossible by having our full 10,000,00 ish card inventory out for sale. I want to have alot of tables with dime and quarter boxes to sort through as well as extra boxes underneath each table...the hardest part is organizing this

(02-16-2012, 11:56 AM)chads-cards Wrote: The wheel thing seems pretty cool. We have been in business for 20 years but are always looking for new ideas for displays to change things up. We know what our regulars like but at the new shop we will try the impossible by having our full 10,000,00 ish card inventory out for sale. I want to have alot of tables with dime and quarter boxes to sort through as well as extra boxes underneath each table...the hardest part is organizing this
I really like the wheel idea too. I think having some activity involving kids would be great. At my LCS, the owner has a giant box of beanie babies. Whenever I take my son (2 1/2 yrs) to the shop, he always tells him to grab a beanie baby on the way out. I rarely see any kids at my LCS. We need to figure out some way to bring the kids back!

I think kids ranging from ages 5-12 is the most important age to start showing them how great the hobby is. After that, they will be hooked. haha

(02-16-2012, 11:21 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: Yup. That's mine to a T. Nice guys, but it would take a month of sundays to find the vintage I'm looking for. I should just offer to work there one day a week in the summer to organize their stuff, and get paid in cards. (As if I have time.)
To both of you thats our main focus right now. organizing...when you have an inventory like ours it just takes over...thats why most is not even at the shop right now so the place doesnt get overpopulated. The stuff thats at the shop is decently organized but we have millions of cards in multiple locations that need processed and sorted.
(02-16-2012, 12:19 PM)Blue_Horde Wrote: I really like the wheel idea too. I think having some activity involving kids would be great. At my LCS, the owner has a giant box of beanie babies. Whenever I take my son (2 1/2 yrs) to the shop, he always tells him to grab a beanie baby on the way out. I rarely see any kids at my LCS. We need to figure out some way to bring the kids back!

I think kids ranging from ages 5-12 is the most important age to start showing them how great the hobby is. After that, they will be hooked. haha
Your concern is ours too...we do not see enough kids collecting. They only care about video games...but its not just today. Its the last 20 years of kids that are just not into collecting anything. And we always give kids free stuff. I hope it helps spark something so they start to enjoy it...we have local neighborhood kids that come in but there should be more...I think it needs to start at home with parents...not just with cards but do something as a reward...like if you get a good grade they should get a pack of cards or something. We teach cubscouts the history of sports card once a month but im not sure its producing too many follow up collectors.