Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Money on Cards?

RE: Make Money on Cards?
(06-25-2011, 10:11 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: sorry, but wrong

im just a guy, not a pack searcher, not a dealer, and ive been making a living on ebay for 7 years now

buy in bulk, sell smaller lots. its really that simple

buy low, sell high. just like any other commodity. it's all about market research, knowing what you are doing (market research is 4 hours of my day. advertising is about 2. filling orders about 4)
Are from Jefferson Ohio by chance? I've bought a couple times from someone with a similar screename
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I have been selling on EBay for 8 years now. On average I sell about $1,000 a month, and pay close to $400 in fees. $600 profit a month isn't to shabby for putting in about 3 hours a day.

Buying in bulk is key. I always do a search for "lot" and I process on almost every auction that pops up, is if I can double my money. If not, I pass.

Most of times, a lot you purchase will have a few cards that will make your money back, and the remainder is all profit.

I have an inventory of over 5,000 on Ebay. Probably to much, but having a large selection is also key.

Hope that helps.

Gotta love the cleveland craigslist. Although getting tired of seeing the mickey mantle listed over and over.lol

(06-25-2011, 10:36 AM)sonnyday Wrote: I am able to make about $500 a month by selling cards, I'll tell you my secret. I treat all cards as a commodity. To me a card is worth 11 cents, doesn't matter if it is a Bryce Harper chrome or a 1988 Cory Snyder. If I buy someones collection off eBay or craigslist, I make sure that I am getting the cards for around 11 cents per card.

Then I have a vintage side. I'll scan eBay and craigslist and local shows for good deals. Basically buying low and selling high. I log each cards purchase price and my goal is to double my money on it. For example I purchased a 1933 goudey card for 5.00 shipped. Right now it is the bay for 15.00 with a bid and a couple watchers. Last week I purchased a 1948 bob feller for $25.00 shipped, then turned around and sold it for $60.00.

To be honest as much time as I put into it, it's not worth it. But I enjoy it, especially hitting up card shows and craigslist morons and beating them up in negotiations. I guess it's the negotiating I love best and that is why I do it. Keeps my skills sharp also.
[Image: ge_zpse4f470b2.jpg]
Wanted: Indians, Cavs, Rookies, Inserts,Lebron and Kyrie.

(06-25-2011, 01:10 PM)talkntribe Wrote: Gotta love the cleveland craigslist. Although getting tired of seeing the mickey mantle listed over and over.lol
Haha , the Mickey mantle guy in chagrin falls, he's been trying to unload that card for $250 for like 3 months. They go for $20 bucks on eBay.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(06-25-2011, 10:39 AM)ELevin99 Wrote: Bulk boxes or lots of cards? This is how you make your living?
not boxes. i havent bought a box since 2001

i only deal with stuff worth 1 dollar or more. anything less goes to the jimmy fund. i dont mind buying, say, 100 1993 jeter rookies, because i know i can move them. or, i can even buy 100 1989 topps john elway cards

i buy cards not just in bulk as single cards, but mainly from wholesalers as huge lots....usually with bv's of 5k to 50K in value, then break it down. i can usually buy at 3 cents on the dollar, sell for 12 cents on the dollar.

That makes sense. But to the guys who put in 3-4 hours/day and profit $600 yes that seems like a decent amount but realize you are working 90 hours a month for that $600 profit. So essentially you make $6-$7 an hour.
[Image: braunsig.png]

(06-25-2011, 09:17 PM)ELevin99 Wrote: That makes sense. But to the guys who put in 3-4 hours/day and profit $600 yes that seems like a decent amount but realize you are working 90 hours a month for that $600 profit. So essentially you make $6-$7 an hour.
But I bet it beats the hell out of sitting in an office all day Tongue
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

(06-25-2011, 09:17 PM)ELevin99 Wrote: That makes sense. But to the guys who put in 3-4 hours/day and profit $600 yes that seems like a decent amount but realize you are working 90 hours a month for that $600 profit. So essentially you make $6-$7 an hour.
not sure if that was intended for me or not, but those are definitely not my numbers Smile

but i will say this:

working long hours > having a boss

(06-25-2011, 09:44 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: not sure if that was intended for me or not, but those are definitely not my numbers Smile

but i will say this:

working long hours > having a boss
Very true! Work a little extra on your time not the office's!

So his hobby makes him money. Wish I could say that about my hobbies
[Image: Boston.jpg]