`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make Money on Cards?

RE: Make Money on Cards?
I am certainly not trying to hate and if I could spend more time trying to turn a profit on the cards I have I would. I mainly buy boxes to open as entertainment and get ride of base while keeping PC to trade and hand down to my kids.

The original post seemed like it was asking about investing in cards or running a business. My point was that it would be difficult to do, but if you can use the cards to make a little play money or to buy PC cards then I think that is great and all the power to you...
[Image: braunsig.png]

I don't post very often in the Beckett forums, but you can make some decent profit selling sports cards. Some of these things have already been mentioned but these are some tips to follow: (Even though I do sell many cards, I do have a PC for certain teams that I will never sell)

1. If you are selling on an auction site, keep in mind that their fees can really cut into the profit
2. If you are opening boxes for profit, you are going to go broke this way. Opening boxes is great fun for collecting, but a bad way to make a profit 95% of the time.
3. Buy in large lots (I usually stick to certified auto cards as they can go really go up when something unusual or great happens to the player. (i.e Wilson Valdez - Phillies utility player - Picked up a 36 count auto lot of assorted players for $18 delivered. When Valdez pitched the 19th inning and won the game for the Phillies that night I turned around and sold the card immediately for an $7 profit)
4. You will need to put in a few thousand dollars of your own money to get a nice inventory
5. Not all cards turn a profit, but if you are only paying $1-$1.25 an autographed card you will never take a big hit. (See point 6)
6. Lesser known players can be grouped in team lots - Easier to sell 9 unknown players if they appear in Cleveland Browns uniforms for example, then 9 unknown players on different teams
7. If you are attempting to sell for profit, make sure to buy your own scale to weigh the packages and use Paypal to print pre-paid postage. Having to ship a $2 card in a $1 envelope and driving 10 miles to the post office sucks, lol
8. Jersey cards - Unless it is a hall a famer they have very little if any value. I use them in mystery packs at cards shows. (1 auto/1jersey card/1 serial #'d card for $3)
9. Always check completed card listings on you auction site of choice. When you have an inventory of 5,000+ autograph cards you may not know when a rookie player has gone up in price. (Especially true of baseball where a player can basically be dormant for 5-7 years)
10. Here's are some reasons why a player's autographed may increase/decrease in value (Keys to unloading a card for profit)
a. Becomes deceased, (I know it is a morbid thought), prices skyrocket the next 1-2 days
b. Significant game - Baseball - No Hitter / Perfect game, multi home runs in a game, players gets called up from the minors Football - New starting QB, RB is named, 100 yard receiving / rushing game, 300 yard or 4+ touchdown game, NBA - Triple Double, 40+ points in a game
c. Player sets a new record
d. Player retires
e. Players gets elected to the hall of fame
f. Player's team wins a championship

Hope this gives someone an insight to some of the tricks of the trade for selling.

(06-25-2011, 09:44 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: not sure if that was intended for me or not, but those are definitely not my numbers Smile

but i will say this:

working long hours > having a boss

It is not my main job, it is only for some additional income, so it is not as bad. Best part, it is at my own time. If a day goes by, and I do not want to do anything, I do not. lol.

Are there people that make money at it? Yes. Do FAR more people lose money at it than make it? Also yes.

I used to make some money at it when I was younger. amcgovern has some good stuff a couple posts back. After I graduated college though, it just wasn't worth it for 2 reasons. 1- What I made at work was about 10 times as much as I could have made in cards, it was just no contest. 2- Just like anything else you do for a living, it became less of a hobby and more of a job. I hated that I felt like I "had" to do it. Once it started to feel like a job, I think I almost started to resent it a little.

Anyway, in conclusion- it can be done. The overwhelming majority of people that try will not only not make money, but lose it. And most of what has been stated here is sports and hobby specific knowledge. Don't forget- you also have to be a good business person in general as well. Marketing, customer service, cost minimization, etc. There's a lot more to it than guessing who the next hot player will be. My 2 cents- not worth it. (For me)

ive been on ebay for over a decade, and i wont lie: the first two years, i lost money.

to make money, you have to be dedicated as hell, extremely educated on what you are selling, you have to spend time on it.

to have to figure out how to attract customers. you have to learn how to game the system. you have to develop discipline and good business processes. you have to learn how to save money at every step, but not do it at the expense of your customers (repeat customers are key).

it aint easy, it aint for everyone. you have to be willing to work constantly - 16 hour days...common. weekend? theyre an occasional thing.

im actually looking for a 9-5, and drop my business to a part time thing (along with my consultant gig). but when i have kids, ill be able to be a stay at home dad for a while, knowing i can always pick my business back up as a source of income