`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown - George Brett (Dufex): PSA Graded 10 Gem Mint

RE: 1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown - George Brett (Dufex): PSA Graded 10 Gem Mint
Thats was prolly a bad move to decline a $200 offer on that card.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I hear all of you.....but what does that say about Beckett pricing. The card - ungraded is valued at $150 in Mint Condition. Typically, I see a jump in the value of a card from anywhere from 2 to 5 times the Mint condition when the card is GEM-MINT. And of course, a determination of GEM MINT is typically only made by a grading service. So, the $150 ungraded at 9 "should" translate to higher. I think some see this too and understand that value.

I also received an offer of $235. It's set up to auto reject it. If it doesn't sell this time around, I'll re-post. I'm not in a hurry. The card did not cost me a cent.

I know it's a down economy and a downmarket for cards. But, I disagree about the desirability of a card such as this. He's a Hall of Famer (and a fairly popular one), there is only 1,000 of these made, they are definitely NOT all GEM-MT and this one has been graded as such and I just don't think you'll see these on the market very often under these conditions (graded 10).

I think the Ryan and Ripken would be up for sale at a much higher price had they gotten a Grade 10 too. 9 Mint is great. But again, the value seems to jump on cards significantly when the graded is a 10.

Furthermore....it's very interesting the Beckett pricing (for better or worse). Follow this:

The George Brett dufex ungraded is priced at $150 for Mint Condition (i.e. Grade 9). The Ripken dufex is priced at $300 for an ungraded Mint.

Something is out of whack with the pricing posted. But as they say, the card (any card) is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I don't see the Ripken, Ryan or Brett dufex cards graded on the market very often. (PSA9 is great, 10 is off the chart).

I think these are highly collectable and rare enough to warrant a premium over similar cards.....

don't get so bogged down with what the price guide says...its just a guide. Everything you said sounds pretty valid to me.

also, judging by other recent posts I think its pretty clear that across the board a lot of rarer 90s inserts are undervalued.

(06-30-2011, 03:09 PM)sobeshaun Wrote: I hear all of you.....but what does that say about Beckett pricing. The card - ungraded is valued at $150 in Mint Condition. Typically, I see a jump in the value of a card from anywhere from 2 to 5 times the Mint condition when the card is GEM-MINT. And of course, a determination of GEM MINT is typically only made by a grading service. So, the $150 ungraded at 9 "should" translate to higher. I think some see this too and understand that value.

I also received an offer of $235. It's set up to auto reject it. If it doesn't sell this time around, I'll re-post. I'm not in a hurry. The card did not cost me a cent.

I know it's a down economy and a downmarket for cards. But, I disagree about the desirability of a card such as this. He's a Hall of Famer (and a fairly popular one), there is only 1,000 of these made, they are definitely NOT all GEM-MT and this one has been graded as such and I just don't think you'll see these on the market very often under these conditions (graded 10).

I think the Ryan and Ripken would be up for sale at a much higher price had they gotten a Grade 10 too. 9 Mint is great. But again, the value seems to jump on cards significantly when the graded is a 10.

Furthermore....it's very interesting the Beckett pricing (for better or worse). Follow this:

The George Brett dufex ungraded is priced at $150 for Mint Condition (i.e. Grade 9). The Ripken dufex is priced at $300 for an ungraded Mint.

Something is out of whack with the pricing posted. But as they say, the card (any card) is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

I don't see the Ripken, Ryan or Brett dufex cards graded on the market very often. (PSA9 is great, 10 is off the chart).

I think these are highly collectable and rare enough to warrant a premium over similar cards.....
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

I agree - but beckett can't accurately (nor can anyone else) what a limited, graded specifc card from the 90's will sell for. You need to understand the market (eBay is best for that) and what you are happy with. personally, I would have taken the $235, but maybe you will get more next time
Royals Super Collector; PC's of Paul Splittorff, George Brett, Mike Sweeney

the ryan that sold was a PSA10 and it sold for $180
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

(06-30-2011, 05:06 PM)johnxgodfree Wrote: the ryan that sold was a PSA10 and it sold for $180
I was referring specifically to the PSA 9 Ryan that is currently listed on eBay for $279 "Buy it Now" price....

Sorry for confusion~

:=)

(06-30-2011, 04:41 PM)homerjg007 Wrote: I agree - but beckett can't accurately (nor can anyone else) what a limited, graded specifc card from the 90's will sell for. You need to understand the market (eBay is best for that) and what you are happy with. personally, I would have taken the $235, but maybe you will get more next time
Heh, I would have taken the $200 and RAN.

for older 90s inserts and rare cards, beckett is a HORRIBLE judge of value. These cards just don't come up for sale often enough for beckett to accurately reflect the value in their guide. Sometimes these types of cards sell for 5x beckett value, and sometimes even less than BV. It really is a crap shoot. All you can do is track similar sales and take what you think you should get out of the card.

the set does not come up that often on EBAY as i heard only 1000 sets were printed, insert sets from the early 90s go over book if they come up for sale. i am working on the registry set as i have 22 of 30 cards graded. i sold a RYAN for 300 a few years ago and a ripken for 250 so stars will go for a higher price because they never come up for sale i have the brett as a BGS 9.0. hear is my registry for 1993 dufex Total Points: 202.25
Registry Completion: 73.3%
Average Grade: 9.14 getting a mint grade is not that tough i am hoping to get the set with an avg grade on 9.0
collecting all seattle mariners cards and chris snelling cards