`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
90's Gems

RE: 90's Gems
Yeah there super sweet! AWWWW......90's inserts and that new thing called a "REFRACTOR"! Its just to bad that they aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on! Maybe I should of spent my cash on playboy mags that decade! They're probably worth more at the moment! The Jordan inserts are the only ones that bring even a little bit of money. WOW! What a waste of an entire decade of money!! It makes a person wonder what Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and all the other autos will be worth 10 years from now. Probably not much since they'll be "almost" as mass produced! I hate to say it but this hobby is probably doomed! I love collecting but lets face: Most people wouldn't buy a box if it didn't have game used and autographs inserted 3-4 per box (I SURE WOULDN"T!) and if they keep putting all these autographs and game used into the tons of products each year it will water down the value (as it already has)! Remember 15 years ago when a Jordan jersey card was almost "priceless" and a Patrick Ewing jersey was worth hundreds? Now a Jordan can be found for $20 and the Ewing's are lucky to get a $0.99 opening bid on Ebay!

(02-24-2011, 04:48 PM)chrisw43 Wrote: Yeah there super sweet! AWWWW......90's inserts and that new thing called a "REFRACTOR"! Its just to bad that they aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on! Maybe I should of spent my cash on playboy mags that decade! They're probably worth more at the moment! The Jordan inserts are the only ones that bring even a little bit of money. WOW! What a waste of an entire decade of money!! It makes a person wonder what Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and all the other autos will be worth 10 years from now. Probably not much since they'll be "almost" as mass produced! I hate to say it but this hobby is probably doomed! I love collecting but lets face: Most people wouldn't buy a box if it didn't have game used and autographs inserted 3-4 per box (I SURE WOULDN"T!) and if they keep putting all these autographs and game used into the tons of products each year it will water down the value (as it already has)! Remember 15 years ago when a Jordan jersey card was almost "priceless" and a Patrick Ewing jersey was worth hundreds? Now a Jordan can be found for $20 and the Ewing's are lucky to get a $0.99 opening bid on Ebay!
I agree, this is why I pretty much only collect RCs as those can't be produced after the RC year. Autos and Jersey cards are nice but will be worth nothing over time.

I agree with the comments above, I think with the appearance of new product, and the short attention span of collectors, it's only the newest cards that are desired.

I've been gapfilling my Jets collection over the last 12-18 months between 2004-2007, buying autos of Jerricho Cotchery, Jonathan Vilma, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Kellen Clemens, David Harris, Chansi Stuckey, David Clowney & Darrelle Revis.
With the exception of Darrelle Revis, if the auctions start at 0.99, I rarely have to pay $5 if ever to win. I will win for $2.24 it seems($1.99 + 0.25), as if no one wants to pay more than $2. I accept they are not household names to anyone but Jets fans but it's amazing how little interest there is, the BV can be $20 so the seller thought they were going to get $8-$12 I'm sure.
RC's are worth collecting, I like those too, the straight forward 'true' RC's, it seems the same, if it's not Revis, there is limited market unless someone is an Ohio State Buckeyes fan and they are scooping up super cheap Gholston's (probably MrGonzoDad).

As long as new collectors appear, I am sure todays young collectors think it's normal to pay at least $10 a pack, as long as every few has some memorabilia in it.
I'm old, I remember 1996, when I saw SPx going for $5 a pack, one card in it, people were freaking out over $5 a pack.

It's a different world today, the old school guys like me have to evolve or walk away, the new collectors don't have the historical perspective, in their world, there has always been swatches in cards, like there has always been DVR's & what's a VHS machine for.

The hobby will carry on evolving, the card companies don't care if we collect base (Yes, I still do), as long as we spend our $60, $80, $100, $150, $300, $500 a box etc, they care only about sales, creating buzz about Contenders Gold cards, moving it and then onto the new product

you will have to check each scan. theese are in no order by any means.
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-898059.html
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(02-19-2011, 10:42 PM)ginge01 Wrote: [Image: 1997JetsPlayoffInserts.jpg]
The red cards are 1997 Playoff First and Ten Hot Pursuit, seeded 1:180.
100 in the set mirror the first 100 from 1997 Absolute Reflex.
The silver cards are 1997 Playoff Absolute Reflex, 200 cards in the set, seeded 1:288.
A full set of Reflex was sold around 2000, I think it was week 1 all cards ending in 1, week 2 ending in 2, etc, it was an exciting time bidding to get them, even in Frank Reich was with Detroit, it's a Jets uni. That was how the dealer sold them, it was great waiting for the next round of auctions to appear.
I am glad you survived the website transition, ginge01 Smile.

Last year there was a Gold Redemption parallel for the 1997 Absolute Reflex added to the OPG. I do not even know if it is listed in the latest Beckett Annual Price Guide. I previously tried to find a picture of one of these Gold Redemption parallels online to see what one looks like, but was unsuccessful. I would like to know what the print run of these cards are - 1/1?

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

(02-25-2011, 01:50 AM)nittany13 Wrote: I am glad you survived the website transition, ginge01 Smile.

Last year there was a Gold Redemption parallel for the 1997 Absolute Reflex added to the OPG. I do not even know if it is listed in the latest Beckett Annual Price Guide. I previously tried to find a picture of one of these Gold Redemption parallels online to see what one looks like, but was unsuccessful. I would like to know what the print run of these cards are - 1/1?
Give me a day or two and I will scan mine Smile I'm almost sure they are NOT 1/1 but extremely limited.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

(02-14-2011, 11:21 AM)the shadow Wrote: that Orlando Pace is Bad A$$

Awesome card. Scarlett and grey helps, but it would be awesome with Tyrone Wheatly on it.
[Image: 1c4478fb-d731-4d9f-ba14-899045a13077_zps5489e52d.jpg]

(02-24-2011, 04:48 PM)chrisw43 Wrote: Yeah there super sweet! AWWWW......90's inserts and that new thing called a "REFRACTOR"! Its just to bad that they aren't worth the cardboard they're printed on!
You broke my heart! On the plus side they are dirt cheap for me to pick up.

I have a load of 90's you would have to look in my org there's to many to scan. PM me if your interested. my trade page is still down.....Thanks PASTA....
Collecting Favre, Peterson, Harvin, Giants....

Here are a few of my favorites from the 90's.

[Image: 91ScoreDreamTeamAutographs677.jpg]
1991 Score Dream Team Autographs #677

[Image: 92ActionPackedMintParallel72.jpg]
1992 Action Packed mint Parallel #72

[Image: 96SPSPxForceSPX5D.jpg]
1996 Spx Force #SPX5D

[Image: 97PlayoffZoneClose-UpsGold13.jpg]
1997 Playoff Zone Close-Ups Gold #13

[Image: 97PlayoffZonePrimeTargetGold2.jpg]
1997 Playoff Zone Prime Target Gold #2

[Image: 99PlayoffPromoAutograph1AU.jpg]
1999 Playoff Promo Autographs #1AU