`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAQ on card collecting

RE: FAQ on card collecting
The whole idea of getting a set in a box is pretty much out the door these days. Even with something low-end and basic like hoops, you will need at least two boxes to complete set. In regards to getting that one card that exceeds what you paid for the box .... that's the gamble. No company will guarantee that every box will contain a "bone fide, big-dollar hit". That just doesn't happen. Like i said, some people seem to be hitting the big card with everything they buy but that's just pure luck on their behalf.

As to suggestions .... i'm a pure hobbiest by nature, so .... I'd suggest you start out working on sets - stuff like, hoops, donruss is a good place to start. If you're happy spending a bit more money then maybe even add in Prizm or prestige to that list. With those products you're getting value for your dollar and you will - on average - get out of the box (es) what you spent. Everything else where you're getting like 6 packs or less per box .... it's a pot-luck draw if you'll break even - meaning, you could just as easily get a dud box as get a top box. I'm making this suggestion so as to make it easy to get into the hobby.

As to a player to collect .... people collect players for any number of reasons. Team, alumni, state, nation (for the international players), jersey number ... that's just naming a few. What i did when i first started collecting a player (patrick Ewing) was i went through what cards i had and a beckett to find a player who was a star but wasn't as high priced as Michael Jordan or Shaquille O'neal. After that .... I picked Jalen rose because he was a lefty like myself, Kevin Garnett because the first card i got of his (1995-96 Collector's choice out of a pack) said he had an "inside game reminiscent of Patrick Ewing" - i was sold. Basically said, people collect players for any number of reasons and really you should pick someone you like. But do keep your budget in mind and don't think you have to get every single card of that player - you'll drive yourself to the white room if you do that!!

Collect Patrick Ewing, Jalen Rose, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge, Jeff Green

if you have less than 25 trades, I will ask you to send first.

Messages In This Thread
FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 12-30-2016, 06:34 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by nickm1123 - 01-02-2017, 06:11 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-05-2017, 12:41 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-05-2017, 05:59 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-06-2017, 06:03 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by taffster74 - 01-08-2017, 05:24 PM
RE: FAQ on card collecting - by Semitar - 01-10-2017, 09:08 AM