`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 1.36 Average
Did steroids in baseball start with the Big Red Machine?

RE: Did steroids in baseball start with the Big Red Machine?
You guys can be blind all you want.
None of those guys looked like Bench.
The guys you named were mostly farm boys who grew those muscles carrying barrels of hay.
Some of them were workout machines.
Maris was always a power hitter who put up huge numbers when he was traded to the Yankees and took full advantage of the short porch and the lineup protection with Mantle.

Is it possible that Bench was the biggest gym rat of any catcher before him? No doubt. Is it also possible that he did it with the help of drugs. Absolutely.
And don't forget. After the 1972 season, Bench had a tumor removed from his throat and never hit for the same power again.

Is it possible that this tumor was benign and had nothing to do with steroids? Yes. Is it possible that the operation affected his swing? Yes. Is it also possible that he stopped doing steroids after the operation. Yes.

Funny how people find it easy to dismiss the argument or call the thread a joke but can't stand to confront the possibility that he could be juicing as if Bench was a canonized saint.

Or as if it is normal to have arms that look like the Ravishing Rick Rude.

The fact is, few players before Bench came close to looking like this. And the fact that other guys on the Reds had major swings in their numbers, tells me he wasn't the only one who may have been in on it.

Did Bench outwork 95% of all baseball players before him in the workout room? Possibly.

But I think there is more to it than that.

But more power to those who were wiping Bench's behind in the locker room, have taken his urine samples and can vouch that he was clean as a whistle. They were probably the same ones buying up McGwire's card in the 90s, swearing he was better than Ruth.

I guess Jose Canseco was the first guy to use steroids in baseball and the sport was invented in Cooperstown.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did steroids in baseball start with the Big Red Machine? - by natejeffries - 01-04-2012, 12:08 AM