`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021-22 MVP Blaster - one and done on this

RE: 2021-22 MVP Blaster - one and done on this
(01-10-2022, 05:53 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I got one of the Pro Set sets - game used was Luc Robitaille - guessing that you wouldn't have been as happy with that one as a Sharks fan
Lucky also played for the Red Wings, so he counts!

(01-11-2022, 02:20 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Lucky also played for the Red Wings, so he counts!
I think this depicts him with The Kings - but I do like that the memorabilia list is pretty strong and you're actually getting high level HOF players - Selannie and Robitaille are 12th and 13th in goals all time so I think that qualifies as "high level HoF" players.

(01-11-2022, 04:40 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I think this depicts him with The Kings - but I do like that the memorabilia list is pretty strong and you're actually getting high level HOF players - Selannie and Robitaille are 12th and 13th in goals all time so I think that qualifies as "high level HoF" players.
Leaf actually put out some pretty nice stuff - I wished they could get licensed in, well, anything.

Their mail order "instant" cards are much higher quality than Panini - nice, thick stock, glossy finish, mint on arrival - and they get their stuff out quickly.

I recently was looking through some Upper Deck Series 2 and Extended Series commons and noticed something weird again ... why are all the Sharks, Predators and Avalanche cards listed as San Jose, Nashville and Colorado on the front of the cards, while all the other teams are listed by their nicknames?

At first I assumed it had something to do with being American teams for whatever reason, but the Devils, Red Wings, Islanders, etc. are all identified by their nicknames.

Any ideas?

(09-23-2022, 12:34 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I recently was looking through some Upper Deck Series 2 and Extended Series commons and noticed something weird again ... why are all the Sharks, Predators and Avalanche cards listed as San Jose, Nashville and Colorado on the front of the cards, while all the other teams are listed by their nicknames?

At first I assumed it had something to do with being American teams for whatever reason, but the Devils, Red Wings, Islanders, etc. are all identified by their nicknames.

Any ideas?
Those 3 teams have been that way for a while I do believe. Probably has something to do with trademark rules for those teams.

(09-26-2022, 10:57 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: Those 3 teams have been that way for a while I do believe. Probably has something to do with trademark rules for those teams.
Yep, it’s just weird because Upper Deck obviously carries the full license, it’s not like Panini with baseball or whatever.

(09-26-2022, 10:57 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: Those 3 teams have been that way for a while I do believe. Probably has something to do with trademark rules for those teams.
Looking up the word Sharks in the PTO TESS system reveals that you got the right reason - looking up trademarks owned by the hockey team, it appears that the name Sharks by itself is simply not a trademark - the word Sharks by itself is too apparently too commonly used in commerce to be trademarkable (there are more than 3300 entries showing Shark or Sharks!).  The team's trademarks are therefore specific designs incorporating the word Sharks, picture designs, phrases incorporating the word Sharks, and San Jose Sharks. 

I didn't look up Predators and Avalanche but its likely a search in TESS would yield similar results.

And since this is an RJ thread, I know that RJ will find the fact that someone is applying for a trademark for CARDSHARKSNFT hilarious.

(09-29-2022, 09:52 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: Looking up the word Sharks in the PTO TESS system reveals that you got the right reason - looking up trademarks owned by the hockey team, it appears that the name Sharks by itself is simply not a trademark - the word Sharks by itself is too apparently too commonly used in commerce to be trademarkable (there are more than 3300 entries showing Shark or Sharks!).  The team's trademarks are therefore specific designs incorporating the word Sharks, picture designs, phrases incorporating the word Sharks, and San Jose Sharks. 

I didn't look up Predators and Avalanche but its likely a search in TESS would yield similar results.
Wow, nice research! Thanks for looking it up.

I would assume they would just go with "San Jose Sharks" on the card front but I guess not.

Any guesses on which set will contain Phil Kessel's first Golden Knights card?

I have pretty much stopped buying unopened stuff and am looking for singles.