Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Collector Looking to Sell Collection . . . Needs Advice

Team Collector Looking to Sell Collection . . . Needs Advice
Hello

Longtime Beckett user here, who just hasn't used the Forums all that much. But perhaps I can get some help from the users here.

I am a longtime collector of the Houston Astros, who has amassed a 35,000-piece (before doubles) collection. Beckett High on the stuff they price is something like 70G. Low is probably something like thirty, again before the stuff numbered to 25, which is a good deal more.

A couple of recent financial setbacks and simply the fact that I've just turned 50 have convinced me that it's time to try and sell the collection. While the collection includes lots of recent low-numbered stuff including something like 40 1/1's and 700 or 800 autos, etc. much of the collection is made up of less flashy stuff, a complete Topps run for example, and a complete run of the team's minor league cards. So breaking the collection down to sell on ebay will leave me with unsold stuff that would not sell on ebay.

Yet the collection is so complete, and so interesting as an archival and historical piece, I have always thought that if I just connect with the right collector, I could sell the thing complete.

But that has proven to be more difficult than I'd thought. My selling limits on ebay prevent me from just listing the thing in full. Sportlots and COMC are not really a great match for the same reason selling singles on ebay isn't. I've had a note up on my own (not very well-attended) website for some time now with no response, and I posted a note to Pat Neshek's board a little bit ago, also with no substantive response. I couldn't talk Rick Probstein into taking an interest and a couple of inquiries with auction houses were not replied to.

A friend suggested taking the thing to Tristar in Houston next year and that might work, but it would involve loading up a truck and driving 1000 miles (as I don't live in the Houston area).

At this point I am open to suggestions, and I thought I'd run it by the knowledgeable folks here. Anyone have any idea/contacts, etc?

A link to the extensive documentation I've given the collection is at http://www.astroland.net/engine.php. That's a search engine with links to a bunch of widgets that show the numbereds, the autos, the game-used, the Bowman Chrome parallels, the minor league stuff, the Leaf Cert stuff, etc. etc. Obviously Bagwell, Biggio, Berkman, Oswalt, Morgan, Ryan, Clemens, are all well-represented; in addition to every other player who's played for the club, you can take a look if you'd like. The only holes might be that I sold my Altuve cards as a unit, and some of the higher-valued Pence stuff, though what's left of the Pence is still pretty solid.

Anybody who has any suggestions? I thank you all for reading.
Collecting the Houston Astros since 1989
Collection loaded entirely into my Org
anize
25,000 different in my Haves . . . . and 25,000 in my Wants
3,200 Trader
s, though they're mostly Astros
http://www.astroland.net

RE: Team Collector Looking to Sell Collection . . . Needs Advice
I agree with your friend. Selling these in Houston might be your best, or only, bet.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Auction house with good ads to let collectors know..
TX or Houston may be best bet...
Consignment auction may be the only way to get rid of entire collection..

Good Luck...

With a collection that big you either have to be willing to take a big hit selling it all at once (no one will want to go through every single card so they'll give you a price based on what they see as guaranteed money), or piece it out over time. Unfortunately when your a team or player collector there's going to be a good deal of cards and memorabilia that just aren't worth much/anything to anyone other than a select few individuals that most likely aren't going to be in the market for buying collections anyway. The reality is that taking it in its entirety to a dealer or larger show in or around Houston will be your best bet but your probably going to be displeased with the offers because you built a specialized collection suited to your interests.

That is a tough one, as you are right that you would have to find a big Astros fan who would want to buy it all. Not just that, but you have to find a big fan that doesn't already have a chunk of those cards. Your best bet will be in breaking it up into more desirable chunks. Unfortunately the Astros don't have a huge national following, like the Yankees or Red Sox, so your best bet might be selling the collection in Houston. Have you tried contacting any of the card shops, dealers, or auction houses in the Houston area? Even if one isn't interested they might be able to steer you in the right direction to get the collection sold. In any case, best luck with the sale.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

What is your Nolan Ryans like?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Thanks very much for the replies. The idea is very much to sell to a collector and not a dealer, and I know there aren't a lot of people with interest but my figuring is that there's got to be some. You need someone with cash and an interest but who hasn't necessarily dedicated themselves already. That's why I posted on Neshek's board . . . and why if I could find Brad Lidge. The thought had also occurred that the Astros themselves might be interested, again because of the historical value. I actually sent Mike Acosta an email but no word from that direction either.
Anyway, all replies are appreciated, thanks! and I will continue to monitor.
anize
3,200 Trader

(09-29-2015, 11:02 AM)rastronomicals Wrote: Thanks very much for the replies. The idea is very much to sell to a collector and not a dealer, and I know there aren't a lot of people with interest but my figuring is that there's got to be some. You need someone with cash and an interest but who hasn't necessarily dedicated themselves already. That's why I posted on Neshek's board . . . and why if I could find Brad Lidge. The thought had also occurred that the Astros themselves might be interested, again because of the historical value. I actually sent Mike Acosta an email but no word from that direction either.
Anyway, all replies are appreciated, thanks! and I will continue to monitor.
Did you see my response?

(09-29-2015, 11:20 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Did you see my response?
Actually, I missed it, so good that you reposted . . .

Here's my Ryan cards:

http://www.astroland.net/playerlistbyyear.php#nolanryan
anize
3,200 Trader

(09-29-2015, 01:00 PM)rastronomicals Wrote: Actually, I missed it, so good that you reposted . . .

Here's my Ryan cards:

http://www.astroland.net/playerlistbyyear.php#nolanryan
Hello,

(This is being said in a very polite and courteous tone) I can't go to your site because the last time I clicked on a link that leads away from Beckett, my computer crashed and I had to get a brand new computer. And posting links that lead away from Beckett are against the TOS.

Do you happen to have any Beckett Graded Nolans in your collection?