`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How about them Cowgirls!

RE: How about them Cowgirls!
(01-12-2015, 05:50 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: that only applies if he had not "perform[ed] any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it, advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.)"
Not sure where you are getting that. The rule you are noting is what is a catch. It doesn't negate the rule on this not being a completion. Just like it would not negate the out of bounds rule, or any other rule.

(01-12-2015, 07:07 PM)mbostick Wrote: Not sure where you are getting that. The rule you are noting is what is a catch. It doesn't negate the rule on this not being a completion. Just like it would not negate the out of bounds rule, or any other rule.
the part you quote comes after what i quote. your part is negated by the previous section (the complete rule i posted above)

[Image: fds_zps0ccd4a68.jpg]

pretty clear it hit the ground. If he wasn't trying to do the impossible and "reach" for the endzone, he could have had a clean catch. He didn't take 3 steps, he stumbled 2 steps as he was falling. If he is in the process of falling, he has to maintain the ball without it moving when it hits the ground. He didn't do any of it. No catch Dez.
PI

(01-11-2015, 07:39 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: I thought it was the second worst postseason call of my lifetime right behind the "tuck rule" game back in 2002. Brady fumbled back then and Dez made the catch today. Nothing can or will change my mind on these two situations. Terrible call on a great game.
I agree 100% on both counts. Calls like those make me wonder about the legitimacy of pro sports, honestly.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

Judging by the pass interference that was overruled the week prior, methinks something doth be afoot in the NFL, but hey, they allowed this also a few years ago:

[Image: hold_zpse276ac0c.jpg]
[Image: 0a0d6456-0c97-44b9-873b-79f839312664_zpstsdq3axa.jpg]

(01-11-2015, 09:17 PM)butterworth1326 Wrote: He has to complete the process, the second the ball moved a millimeter after hitting the ground while he is on the ground the play is dead. Whether you are rolling around in bounds or get pushed out of bounds 10 yards. 3 steps matter if the ball was caught with the players feet on the ground and the ball was controlled, by jumping in the air forward and laying out forcing the outcome of that catch is him landing on the ground, you have to complete the process. It happens all the time, unfortunately on a big stage late in the game, but make your field goal, and convert another 3rd down and this dosent exist. But it's Dallas so it'll be a big deal and the nfl screwed them again and tony romo is national hero and jerry jones is everybodies grandfather bs. Go Dolphins!!!!!!! Smile
I understand the rule... But it seems to me that most of the reason I heard was it was called a non-catch was because Dez did not make a "Football Move" and that is why it was not a catch.

So what is a "Football Move"???

He caught the ball and dove for the endzone... Seems like a "Football Move" to me.

I think that play was not the main reason they lost... They missed that Field Goal and the Packers made the Field Goal... a 6 Point Swing right there, could of been 17 - 7 but it ended up 14 - 10 and I think the Murray Fumble was huge... That would of been a huge gain, perhaps a TD.
[Image: Star.gif]

(01-15-2015, 03:10 AM)mg54 Wrote: I understand the rule... But it seems to me that most of the reason I heard was it was called a non-catch was because Dez did not make a "Football Move" and that is why it was not a catch.

So what is a "Football Move"???

He caught the ball and dove for the endzone... Seems like a "Football Move" to me.

I think that play was not the main reason they lost... They missed that Field Goal and the Packers made the Field Goal... a 6 Point Swing right there, could of been 17 - 7 but it ended up 14 - 10 and I think the Murray Fumble was huge... That would of been a huge gain, perhaps a TD.
A football move might be actually tucking the ball to properly hit the ground, ya know, protecting the ball.

I can't get over people saying he dove for the endzone. I have seen the play several times, and all I see is him catching and bobbling, while falling. He hits the ground, bobbles the ball while on the ground, and finally grabs it in the endzone, after not only letting the ball hit the ground, but not actually securing the ball until he is on his back in the endzone.

Lets take a look at an actual spectacular catch, by none other than the Green Bay Packers Antonio Freeman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQmyLLxRNcA
PI

(01-15-2015, 10:42 AM)joshdetloff Wrote: A football move might be actually tucking the ball to properly hit the ground, ya know, protecting the ball.

I can't get over people saying he dove for the endzone. I have seen the play several times, and all I see is him catching and bobbling, while falling. He hits the ground, bobbles the ball while on the ground, and finally grabs it in the endzone, after not only letting the ball hit the ground, but not actually securing the ball until he is on his back in the endzone.

Lets take a look at an actual spectacular catch, by none other than the Green Bay Packers Antonio Freeman.

Your description is spot on, half his body is behind the defender, and while he attempts to move around the defender in one step, one leg stays behind him....looks like he trips himself.

It is completely illogical for those that keep suggesting as long as he made a "football move", (which by the way, isn't almost everything a football move?), that none of the other rules apply. ALL the rules apply.

Like I noted using out of bounds, if you make a "football move" and catch it out of bounds, its not a catch, and yes, if you do not follow through, re the Calvin Johnson rule, its not a catch.

The fact that some of you seem to think we should reward someone for not completing the play is almost funny. When I was a kid, we didn't get participation awards.

(01-15-2015, 12:07 PM)mbostick Wrote: Your description is spot on, half his body is behind the defender, and while he attempts to move around the defender in one step, one leg stays behind him....looks like he trips himself.

It is completely illogical for those that keep suggesting as long as he made a "football move", (which by the way, isn't almost everything a football move?), that none of the other rules apply. ALL the rules apply.

Like I noted using out of bounds, if you make a "football move" and catch it out of bounds, its not a catch, and yes, if you do not follow through, re the Calvin Johnson rule, its not a catch.

The fact that some of you seem to think we should reward someone for not completing the play is almost funny. When I was a kid, we didn't get participation awards.
LOL participation award. Maybe someone should have given one to Dez when he had his towel on his head while sitting on the bench.

Yea, this play is getting too much hype. I get it was a big game, but if he would have caught the ball, there wouldn't be a question. Maybe the girls should have gone with a slant play, or something other than an all or nothing on 4th down? Someone should talk to Romo, or the Coach, or whoever called that outrageous play. Personally, I think Romo laid it out there looking for pass interference, which is a sissy move, but not surprising coming from the Cowgirl offense.

PI

(01-15-2015, 10:42 AM)joshdetloff Wrote: A football move might be actually tucking the ball to properly hit the ground, ya know, protecting the ball.

I understand that... After watching everything about it, I agree it is not a catch according to what the NFL is saying.

But, the NFL VP of Officiating, Dean Blandino said if Dez made a Football Move after the catch, then it would of counted...

"Blandino is saying Bryant needed to make a move common to the game (AKA a “football move”) in order to not be subject to the “going to the ground” provision and that Bryant’s lunge was not sufficient to qualify as a “football move”.

"Dean Blandino’s NFL Total Access appearance from 2013...
In 2013, Blandino is saying that a catch happens when you accomplish 3 things – control of the ball, both feet down, and then control of the ball for a long enough period of time that you could make a “football move”. Now, in 2015, Blandino is saying that Bryant must actually perform a “football move”, not just have control of the ball for a long enough period of time that he could do one. The two explanations seem to be in direct conflict with each other."

That is why I think the NFL needs to rethink some of the rules in place.

I still think that the Dez play was not the play that lost the game for the Cowboys. Like I stated earlier, the missed FG and the Fumble by Murray were huge plays that lost the game for them.
[Image: Star.gif]