`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Someone just opened a box of 1997 metal universe...unreal hit

RE: Someone just opened a box of 1997 metal universe...unreal hit
(12-08-2014, 01:41 AM)altz11 Wrote: I've always wondered if I had a ton of money, would I still collect? It's almost like what's the point if you can just run out and buy ANYTHING at any time?
Or just be able to buy the cards you really Want (as opposed to buying boxes and hoping for a hit) to build a collection you really like to look at.
Lakers / PC / For Trade:
http://goehring9.weebly.com

I remember WAAAYYY back when, Beckett did an article on a guy in Japan/Asia area that had 8 of the 10 Green MJ's. So what were his numbers I wonder...and I know of one guy in the states that has one. So does that mean that this #001 is the LAST of the MJ greens to pull from packs, or has someone faked these historically and that's what's out there...don't know.
Collect Michael Jordan, Stockton/Malone/Hornacek/Eaton, Kresimir Cosic, Int'l oddballs
I specialize in hard to find oddities for player/team collectors
eBay Geonut (100+ auctions)
Int'l/player INVENTORY: http://www.hobbydisplay.com/geonut/

Hard to think anyone could have 8/10 of any one player!

If I had purchased every Clyde that has ever been available I would only have 3/10

(12-08-2014, 04:00 PM)dale12 Wrote: Hard to think anyone could have 8/10 of any one player!

If I had purchased every Clyde that has ever been available I would only have 3/10
It is definitely possible, especially a big name player as people would be more likely to sell a bigger name player. Also, all the cards might not have been sold on eBay. There are many places someone could buy/sell aside from eBay, and some were just as popular in the mid-90s when these cards came out. Back then, there were more card sales in stores and shows than there were online. It wasn't until the end of the 90s that eBay really exploded for card sales. I still remember email auctions, where sellers would email out a list of cards and people would bid via email (not to mention the forum sales on AOL and other places). Also, keep in mind the value on these cards has skyrocketed over the past decade. When these cards 1st came out they sold for much much less, so it would've be even easier to acquire a bunch of them. I knew of a few big pocket dealer/collectors that were buying up any star player cards serial numbered under 100 in the late 90s.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I really hope it comes back from PSA authentic, but even then there are already the guys saying PSA has slabbed fake cards before... So there will always be skepticism! But the guy who pulled it said there were buyers who contacted him telling him if they won the bidding they would personally fly to him to pick the card up, I could never imagine spending that kind of money on a card, let alone flying to go pick it up haha these are some RICH collectors chasing this card!

(12-08-2014, 06:24 PM)djohn Wrote: It is definitely possible, especially a big name player as people would be more likely to sell a bigger name player. Also, all the cards might not have been sold on eBay. There are many places someone could buy/sell aside from eBay, and some were just as popular in the mid-90s when these cards came out. Back then, there were more card sales in stores and shows than there were online. It wasn't until the end of the 90s that eBay really exploded for card sales. I still remember email auctions, where sellers would email out a list of cards and people would bid via email (not to mention the forum sales on AOL and other places). Also, keep in mind the value on these cards has skyrocketed over the past decade. When these cards 1st came out they sold for much much less, so it would've be even easier to acquire a bunch of them. I knew of a few big pocket dealer/collectors that were buying up any star player cards serial numbered under 100 in the late 90s.
I agree with MJ being the most likely!

Not the type of card you would pickup at your local card show Smile
https://huperoyaltyjordanedition.wordpre...reen-pmgs/

(12-08-2014, 11:22 PM)DirtyBird52 Wrote: I really hope it comes back from PSA authentic, but even then there are already the guys saying PSA has slabbed fake cards before... So there will always be skepticism!

I agree.
Isn't it funny that one of the reasons grading exists is ensure collectors that their card is authentic? And now collectors have to worry about if a slabbed card is authentic. It's just so sad that in any venue, if there is money to be made there will be scammers, con artists, rip-offs etc... I guess it's just the way the world works though.

On a side note, I'd be curious to know why the owner decided to have PSA grade the card.

(12-09-2014, 12:57 AM)altz11 Wrote: On a side note, I'd be curious to know why the owner decided to have PSA grade the card.
I was wondering the same- if he pulled it from an unopened box, what is the concern? Or is he worried the entire sealed box is counterfeit?
Lakers / PC / For Trade:
http://goehring9.weebly.com

(12-09-2014, 01:56 PM)mgoehring Wrote: I was wondering the same- if he pulled it from an unopened box, what is the concern? Or is he worried the entire sealed box is counterfeit?
For that high dollar of a card I totally understand wanting to get it authenticated so that they end buyer can't complain. You don't want to have to deal with someone who is upset and wants a refund on a $100,000, because they have concerns. Remember, it is all about trust when it comes to buying raw cards (and even graded cards sometimes), so if you were spending that kind of money you would want to make sure and not just trust that the seller pulled the card from a pack.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(12-09-2014, 01:56 PM)mgoehring Wrote: I was wondering the same- if he pulled it from an unopened box, what is the concern? Or is he worried the entire sealed box is counterfeit?

I just meant why he chose PSA to grade it over BGS.
But yeah, a card that is THAT high in value definitely needs to be graded or at least slabbed authentic.