`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Awesome mail day!! Updated mail day 6/6

RE: Awesome mail day!! Updated mail day 6/6
(06-06-2014, 04:12 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: NICE cards! SGC is the only way to go for pre-war. The cards look so good in SGC slabs.
I took the advice from another post about getting pre-war in SGC slabs. Glad I did. They look great!

Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

(06-06-2014, 04:12 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: NICE cards! SGC is the only way to go for pre-war. The cards look so good in SGC slabs.
Yeah they do look super nice Big Grin

but what do you do if you find some PSA pre-war cards that you don't seem to be able to find in a SGC slab? Sad

Yeah, my favorite by far. The only cards I don't like in their slabs are black border cards. Once I get my collection down to nil and start up again, I'm aiming for a smaller pre-war set that will end up in their slabs.
(06-06-2014, 04:15 PM)Gh0sty Wrote: Yeah they do look super nice Big Grin

but what do you do if you find some PSA pre-war cards that you don't seem to be able to find in a SGC slab? Sad
Wait, look around, or just pick up the PSA card and have it crossed over. Take it out of the slab before sending in though to remove any potential bias.

(06-06-2014, 04:15 PM)Gh0sty Wrote: Yeah they do look super nice Big Grin

If the price is right.... buy it. If you really want then get it re-graded by SGC. But I wouldn't do this. Grading is not that important to me.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(06-06-2014, 04:19 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: If the price is right.... buy it. If you really want then get it re-graded by SGC. But I wouldn't do this. Grading is not that important to me.
Yeah me personally I do not mind it being a few in SGC and a few in a PSA slab, those old cards are beautiful regardless Big Grin plus you never know the other grading card company might end up grading it less lol

(06-06-2014, 04:19 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: If the price is right.... buy it. If you really want then get it re-graded by SGC. But I wouldn't do this. Grading is not that important to me.
I prefer to get the SGC slab but wouldn't be opposed to a PSA one. "Buy what you like not whats its in" was some other advice I got some time ago. I just want all you vintage collectors here to know that I blamed this new vintage obsession on you with my wife. LOL! I've been looking at your awesome collections for some time and just had to start my own. Thanks for the inspiration to do this and all the advice I've received in the past.

(06-06-2014, 04:46 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: I prefer to get the SGC slab but wouldn't be opposed to a PSA one. "Buy what you like not whats its in" was some other advice I got some time ago. I just want all you vintage collectors here to know that I blamed this new vintage obsession on you with my wife. LOL! I've been looking at your awesome collections for some time and just had to start my own. Thanks for the inspiration to do this and all the advice I've received in the past.
I know right!!! I'm only 20 and these old t206 cards have gotten my attention Big Grin

(06-06-2014, 04:50 PM)Gh0sty Wrote: I know right!!! I'm only 20 and these old t206 cards have gotten my attention Big Grin
Welcome to the club. You'll be amazed at what else is out there, and that there is actually a good number that is not going to bust the bank either.

(06-06-2014, 04:55 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Welcome to the club. You'll be amazed at what else is out there, and that there is actually a good number that is not going to bust the bank either.
The fear of cost kept me away until I started doing some research. Of course there is always going to be more than a few thats out of my price range (T206 Eddie Plank) but for the most part 1-2 a month depending on price is cool with me and I won't have a ton of cards laying around from case breaks which will keep my wife happy. Didn't realize also that there is a ton of different vintage out there. I've also decided that I'm only doing graded pre-1940. Got some 1939-1970 cards and there's nothing like the smell of vintage.

(06-06-2014, 05:06 PM)mjmj1966 Wrote: The fear of cost kept me away until I started doing some research. Of course there is always going to be more than a few thats out of my price range (T206 Eddie Plank) but for the most part 1-2 a month depending on price is cool with me and I won't have a ton of cards laying around from case breaks which will keep my wife happy. Didn't realize also that there is a ton of different vintage out there. I've also decided that I'm only doing graded pre-1940. Got some 1939-1970 cards and there's nothing like the smell of vintage.
Pick up the Standard Catalog guide. Never mind the prices but the info/checklists in there will open your eyes to tons of sets you didn't know existed. Great reading material while on the can.