`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
new PC goal, graded 92-93 Beam Team

new PC goal, graded 92-93 Beam Team
So I picked up the MJ on Craigslist, and it graded a beautiful 9.5. Around the same time, I found the news article on the guy who had completed his 86 fleer PSA 10 set. For some reason, I thought it would be cool to have this TSC beam team set in all 9.5s.

I busted some boxes, and got good grades on 10 of 21 in the set. I found a few raw on evilbay that I think are worthy of grading. Just need a handful more to complete the set, but I'm losing motivation.

The 9.5s on this set have a fairly low population. Am I crazy? Do I keep going?

[Image: 507D4548-916E-44BB-B07C-0D1F434A8494_zpsmzxn1ymi.jpg]

Sorry for the bad picture, and thanks for looking.

RE: new PC goal, graded 92-93 Beam Team
(12-03-2013, 01:54 AM)hercules21 Wrote: So I picked up the MJ on Craigslist, and it graded a beautiful 9.5. Around the same time, I found the news article on the guy who had completed his 86 fleer PSA 10 set. For some reason, I thought it would be cool to have this TSC beam team set in all 9.5s.

I busted some boxes, and got good grades on 10 of 21 in the set. I found a few raw on evilbay that I think are worthy of grading. Just need a handful more to complete the set, but I'm losing motivation.

The 9.5s on this set have a fairly low population. Am I crazy? Do I keep going?

[Image: 507D4548-916E-44BB-B07C-0D1F434A8494_zpsmzxn1ymi.jpg]

Sorry for the bad picture, and thanks for looking.
Keep going!!

Would be great to see them all in 9.5, I know someone that's got them all in 9.5 and he has spares!

PM what ones you need!
Collecting BGS 9.5 MJ 90's inserts

[Image: MJBGS95PC_zpsaa817dfe.jpg]

I would say continue towards the goal. Personally, I would try to get each one graded and see where it goes. If you can get all 9.5s that is great, but even 8.5s and better would be awesome. I had a similar desire with the '83 Star Celtics Team Set. I started looking at only 9.5s then I realized that some were out of my price range, and then more challenging some of the lower end players were not graded often so getting one of the couple of 9.5s was close to impossible. So in this case what is the pop report on a 9.5 Jeff Malone? They also grade poorly due to centering issues so that makes 9.5s that much tougher.

In the end though I think having all these graded in BGS would look awesome, the gold label would only be a small incentive in my book.
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

(12-03-2013, 02:20 AM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: Keep going!!

Would be great to see them all in 9.5, I know someone that's got them all in 9.5 and he has spares!

PM what ones you need!
Bummed to here that I wouldn't be the first one, but at the same time glad to here that I have company. I'll shoot you a PM sometime this week when I get a chance to look closer at them again.

(12-03-2013, 08:03 PM)SHowley2003 Wrote: I would say continue towards the goal. Personally, I would try to get each one graded and see where it goes. If you can get all 9.5s that is great, but even 8.5s and better would be awesome. I had a similar desire with the '83 Star Celtics Team Set. I started looking at only 9.5s then I realized that some were out of my price range, and then more challenging some of the lower end players were not graded often so getting one of the couple of 9.5s was close to impossible. So in this case what is the pop report on a 9.5 Jeff Malone? They also grade poorly due to centering issues so that makes 9.5s that much tougher.

In the end though I think having all these graded in BGS would look awesome, the gold label would only be a small incentive in my book.
Yea, I'm thinking I may keep my BGS 9s in order to complete the set, then set it aside for a few years. and yea, i believe there's only one 9.5 jeff malone at the moment. Thanks for the comment. How'd your '83 Star Celtic set turn out? if i search around, will i find a picture of it on this forum somewhere?

I would encourage you to keep going. Are you buying them already graded? Or are you submitting them raw to be graded?
-Aries
The Zodiac Collection
Boston Celtics Auto's Past & Present Super Collector
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@...0713393666

(12-04-2013, 09:51 AM)The_Zodiac_Collection Wrote: I would encourage you to keep going. Are you buying them already graded? Or are you submitting them raw to be graded?
everything pictured was submitted for grades. have not bought anything already graded yet.

Keep going! You are half way there. Nice collection going there.

Quote:Yea, I'm thinking I may keep my BGS 9s in order to complete the set, then set it aside for a few years. and yea, i believe there's only one 9.5 jeff malone at the moment. Thanks for the comment. How'd your '83 Star Celtic set turn out? if i search around, will i find a picture of it on this forum somewhere?

No need to search, here it is if you are interested...

Glad to hear you might keep the focus. Definitely keep us updated on this one. I think it's a great chase.

http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1545714.html
[Image: lnuVdUL.png]

I am trying for this set also, but I am not worried about them being graded.
I am into collecting Charles Barkley, Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. I alos will collect Goldy.
Right now most cards are not in the trade section, but in my org, so look there first to see what I have and then PM me an offer and if accepted I will move it to the trade section, ready to be traded.

So I have an update... I sent cards in for grades, and 5 of the 7 Beam Team cards came back as "restored". Apparently, they are undersized. What a load of bologna...

So it is understandable that the manufacturer could cut the cards too small. Doing some forum research, others have come across this issue before, especially in older cards. I guess the graders have a width and length tolerance for the set that they must verify. And perhaps the grader can't know for sure if the card was miscut by the manufacturer or if it was actually altered. So it's hard to argue against that.

This was very disheartening; however, BGS is working with me to get these cards another look, so the set chase isn't over yet.

My argument is that the size tolerances for this set should be re-evaluated. The Beam Team is inserted at a rate of one, maybe two, per box. I only sent in the good ones, so that gives you an idea how many boxes these are from. While still a small sample size in the big picture, it's not trivial. They also came from multiple vendors. So it seems to me that undersized cards are not uncommon, and this should be accommodated for in the allowable tolerances. At the very least, publish what the tolerances are, so we can know before we bother to send a card in.