`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gem Mint - How do dealers get sooo many!

RE: Gem Mint - How do dealers get sooo many!
OP, PWCC is one of the biggest consignors so when you see tons of high end Gem Mint auctions from him, they are the cards of many of his customers.
[Image: IconmsBannerFinal3.jpg]

(09-09-2013, 02:54 PM)iconms Wrote: OP, PWCC is one of the biggest consignors so when you see tons of high end Gem Mint auctions from him, they are the cards of many of his customers.
+1 Yup
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

I do think a lot has to do with how many you send and how often you send cards in that they might give you a break. I am getting more into grading as some of the cards sell for so much more from graded to non graded and my main purpose for doing this is to get the 1996 Mirror Gold Derek Jeter that I need to finish his rookie collection. But I will probably not stop there as there are still a lot of cards of his from the 90's I would like to get.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

The way that I heard it works, is that it's anonymous. All the orders are received in and given a job #. All the grader sees is a job #. They don't see a name OR a member account #.

Is this not how it's done?

(09-10-2013, 10:10 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: The way that I heard it works, is that it's anonymous. All the orders are received in and given a job #. All the grader sees is a job #. They don't see a name OR a member account #.

Is this not how it's done?
The thing is when you put a submission in it shows your name and other info so I do think they know who is sending what. I am sure they can't bend to much but to bump a 9 to a 9.5 most people I don't think would notice. I am not say this is what happens but you have to believe if your sending in thousands of cards a year there going to try and help you out some.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

I think those who have a lot of these 10 cards are distributors. I read online that when it was announced that there were 1/1 cards in some top covers of A & G , a distributor sifted through teh boxes he had opened and concluded one out of 300 boxes contained such a card !!

To conclude that, he must have opened at least 300 boxes ( i would never conclude it is 1 in 300 with only 300 boxes ).

Means he opened a LOT of packages. If you open that many packages, you get good at locating which cards are worth grading.
I would never pay to have a Colby Rasmus card graded. Who cares if you can get $1,20 for his card instead of $0,40 for a graded card when it will cost you a lot more to have it graded.

I also find that the graders ( other than Beckett ) do too freely give a 10. I have seen, for instance off-centered UD 1989 Griffeys given a 10 by some graders. Or cards that had surface flaws.

You find far less BGS 10 on EBay . Beckett seems to be more strict than other graders

(09-11-2013, 05:54 AM)wolvie15 Wrote: You find far less BGS 10 on eBay. Beckett seems to be more strict than other graders.
+1

(09-11-2013, 05:54 AM)wolvie15 Wrote: I also find that the graders ( other than Beckett ) do too freely give a 10. I have seen, for instance off-centered UD 1989 Griffeys given a 10 by some graders. Or cards that had surface flaws.

You find far less BGS 10 on EBay . Beckett seems to be more strict than other graders
However, if you compare the number of PSA 10 to BGS 9.5 (the two designated numerical grades for Gem Mint), you'll find more BGS 9.5.

(09-11-2013, 03:00 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: However, if you compare the number of PSA 10 to BGS 9.5 (the two designated numerical grades for Gem Mint), you'll find more BGS 9.5.
As far as what?

The big consignors employ people who are professional card resubmitters. Guess what they do all day!