`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Collectors vs Re-sellers on eBay

Collectors vs Re-sellers on eBay
hey everyone. i'm much more of a buyer than seller on eBay but lately, when I list items, i feel like i am mostly getting people bidding who are simply trying to get an item for dirt-cheap vs a fair value. often a sold card winds up back on Ebay quickly with a ridiculous price tag.

my question is: where are all the collectors? i am always willing to pay a fair price for a card I want of a player I collect. I guess I am just sick of such low-ball offers and people not even responding to counter-offers that are at or near other sold items of the same quality.
Hug it Out...

RE: Collectors vs Re-sellers on eBay
Most collectors are just as greedy as the sellers. More money buys more cards for the PC for the collectors and more sales is more income for the sellers. Both parties want as much as they can get even if their intentions are positive ones.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

Well from a collector only view point. Sellers on eBay seem to want a fortune for every card. So a price I feel confortable with paying for a card is what I offer. If there has been other auctions of the card ending at 10 dollars. Just because the bin price says 49.99 or best offer, my offer is going to be $10 because that is what the others have sold for. Sellers don't budge much for collectors bc they know they want it, not flip it. I don't have an argument for selling bc I've never sold, only bought for PC.

Yep it works both ways and depending on what side you're on be it buyer or seller the other side is always the one in the wrong. lol

I'm kind of hypocritical on this subject. I love nothing more than getting a steal for an item on eBay that I intend to resell or trade away. But when something I'm selling goes for next to nothing, I get upset. Like Chevy said, just depends on which side of the fence you're on.
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

My advice, and this is just my advice, if they are offering you an unreasonable lowball amount, in your estimation, for a card I would just politely decline and would not feel one iota of guilt. For some reason certain people do not feel that way. You have to ask yourself though, do you believe you can sell this card for a higher amount? If not perhaps these are cards you would rather keep.

Maybe it is because I deem myself a capitalist by nature, but I do not get upset when someone is charging a rather outrageous price for a card that I want. If the price is too high in my estimation I simply will not pay. If I get outbid for something, and I later see that card listed online for sale a month later, the purchaser just screwed him/herself because I am not going to play that game if the opening bid price is higher.

This happened to me before. One guy listed a 1/1, which he previously outbid me for, on four different occasions and in each instance he continually lowered the starting bid price on subsequent listings. I kept holding out until the time was right. As a result I ended up paying a lower price than what he won it for originally since I apparently was the only one interested.

In another case someone listed another 1/1 card of a nobody, but a nobody I collect, for a steep $130. I made him an offer which I deemed realistic and reasonable - he countered with another offer which was still unrealistic - I then made him a second offer which was nowhere his counter - he did not even bother to respond. I noticed that he has since listed it twice for the same price and nobody else has expressed interest.

I did not get angry at either seller, but in each case both screwed themselves.
[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

I just don't get sellers posting something at beckett prices. No one pays beckett prices on ebay. The best is knowing that a month later when all the high bidders have gotten out then all that is left are the low bidders. It happens every single time like clock work.

New product comes out
People get excited and want it now, bids are high,
High bidders win and stop biding on product once they have one
New product comes out and people forget about old product
No one bids except collectors, prices drop by half

I like to buy things that are a year old because all I pay is a couple of bucks for auto of rookies that when first came out were $10 to $15. Never understood the rush when the print run is over 100. The only time to buy now is rare high quality pieces. All others can wait. The odds that 1/1 and the like are auction again are low so those are the only ones to go for when they first come out.

(08-22-2013, 12:28 AM)durfeecoach1 Wrote: I like to buy things that are a year old because all I pay is a couple of bucks for auto of rookies that when first came out were $10 to $15. Never understood the rush when the print run is over 100. The only time to buy now is rare high quality pieces. All others can wait. The odds that 1/1 and the like are auction again are low so those are the only ones to go for when they first come out.
+1 new collectors should take this to heart !

The only thing I would add to the "Gotta Buy It Now" is if a patch thats just to crazy to pass up on the initial offering !

PC - Dolphins, Daniel Thomas, Parker, Ajayi, Jordan, Landry & Phins 1/1's

(08-21-2013, 10:55 PM)apalmieri99 Wrote: hey everyone. i'm much more of a buyer than seller on eBay but lately, when I list items, i feel like i am mostly getting people bidding who are simply trying to get an item for dirt-cheap vs a fair value. often a sold card winds up back on Ebay quickly with a ridiculous price tag.

my question is: where are all the collectors? i am always willing to pay a fair price for a card I want of a player I collect. I guess I am just sick of such low-ball offers and people not even responding to counter-offers that are at or near other sold items of the same quality.
Its not just this way on ebay but at all the big card shows. Dealers will ask for more than what they sell for on ebay even though they don't have to pay all the fees ( they have to pay to set up though) and don't want to budge on prices either. Sometimes I wonder how they make any sales at the show.

My advise is if you find something you want but the seller won't budge on their high prices, then just be patient, another one will pop up from a different seller that will work with you. BEING PATIENT IS THE KEY

[Image: vBmHxKD.png]

(08-21-2013, 10:55 PM)apalmieri99 Wrote: hey everyone. i'm much more of a buyer than seller on eBay but lately, when I list items, i feel like i am mostly getting people bidding who are simply trying to get an item for dirt-cheap vs a fair value. often a sold card winds up back on Ebay quickly with a ridiculous price tag.

I feel compelled as a seller to list my items at high buy it now best offer prices to offset the ridiculous fees associated with ebay and paypal. It is tough to sell on there