`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Default grading = Near Mint

Default grading = Near Mint
Question on this - I leave all my modern cards at this default grade (Mint should be pretty much untouched I believe) yet I've received several recent trade offers with traders who have changed the default of all of their cards to the condition to Mint, which gives them an advantage in trading for sure. This doesn't seem very kosher at all - I don't want to change mine to mint in order to match - what do you all think?

Thanks,

JoshR

RE: Default grading = Near Mint
(08-05-2012, 12:47 PM)joshyr Wrote: Question on this - I leave all my modern cards at this default grade (Mint should be pretty much untouched I believe) yet I've received several recent trade offers with traders who have changed the default of all of their cards to the condition to Mint, which gives them an advantage in trading for sure. This doesn't seem very kosher at all - I don't want to change mine to mint in order to match - what do you all think?

Thanks,

JoshR
My own personal rule of thumb when I did trade is the absolute highest anything MIGHT get was NM-MT+. That was rare. Otherwise most were NM-MT or less. I didn't label anything as mint unless it was professionally graded as such.

By now, everyone should have readjusted their Orgs. Some guys still haven't though. When I encounter this, I usually assume they just haven't taken the time to go through their whole org and mark it properly. I just deduct 25% of the trade value to equalize it.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

The only annoying thing is even if you have all your cards marked correctly often times if you trade and beckett automatically puts the card you traded for into your collection marked as MINT if the other trader had it marked as such, so you then have to go back in the system and fix it. And whats up with some graded cards that are graded a BGS 9 being worth less then the normal NRMT-MT book value, or even less than the non graded MINT value. I had a card that booked for $80 ungraded NRMT-MT and $100 ungraded MINT but graded a PSA 9 beckett said it was $50. The other guy tried making me trade the card at $30 less than the NRMT-MT ungraded value.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

(08-05-2012, 03:12 PM)bgt masters of tikid Wrote: The only annoying thing is even if you have all your cards marked correctly often times if you trade and beckett automatically puts the card you traded for into your collection marked as MINT if the other trader had it marked as such, so you then have to go back in the system and fix it. And whats up with some graded cards that are graded a BGS 9 being worth less then the normal NRMT-MT book value, or even less than the non graded MINT value. I had a card that booked for $80 ungraded NRMT-MT and $100 ungraded MINT but graded a PSA 9 beckett said it was $50. The other guy tried making me trade the card at $30 less than the NRMT-MT ungraded value.
I agree 100% with your first point and was about to update my post. That's the real kicker is having to do extra work because of another guy's laziness. Also, I've never seen the graded cards going for less than the BV. That's crazy though.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

I have some cards I mark as mint, but it's only if i truly believe they'd grade a PSA or BGS 9. I understand that throws values off when trading, but I refuse to trade by BV anyways, so it doesn't matter to me in that regard.
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

When you find someone that rates cards accurately, add that person to your favorite traders list. I am by no means a professional grader, but I look at each card individually and determine what I think the grade should be before posting it for trade here. I always err on the side of caution and have never had anyone complain. If someone has everything rated as 8s or 9s, I simply ask if that is accurate. If anyone has an advantage through deceptive labeling, it is not the gullible person in the trade. I just got some great cards from Illuminasty that were spot on. If he tells me a card is a five, I know he is accurate and expect nothing more (though sometimes I get the better end of his estimations). Then, when he tells me something is an eight, I know that when I receive it it will be as close to an eight in my book as it was in his. Anyone too lazy to accurately describe what he or she has for trade is not worth trading with. If you have doubts, it is your obligation to ask the question. I always do. Otherwise, caveat emptor.

JonathanI

P.S.
I have very few traders listed in my favorites, but I trust every single one of them to deliver exactly what they advertise - if not better. Feel free to check them out.
I appreciate Chicago players that begin competing within the city's sports organizations and stay with these teams throughout their careers.

In general I don't care if they would grade mint possibly. If they are not then they are not. I have adjusted a few to mint lately because the other side has the same. Generally I just say something and most will adjust it but some still don't. I try explaining the default here is Nm-Mt but some people just don't get it.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I went through and adjusted the values of all 43,000+ of my trade cards as NrMt/Mt (8.5). If I come across any cards I'm trading that are not that condition when I pull them then I remove them from the trade and send them as Freebies. I have encountered only one other trader so far who would not lower his cards from Mint to NrMt/Mt for the sake of a trade and he complained when I raised the condition of the cards he wanted to Mint to match his. At that point I cancelled the trade.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

OK, so would one of you guys kindly walk me through the fixing them to be all near mint. I tried, and it simply did not go as planned. Thanks, and I am looking forward to fixing it.
Thanks,
Mickey