`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screwed at the card show

Screwed at the card show
So why is it that some dealers have to be so shady.

I went to a show at the mall this past weekend and wanted to do some trading. There weren't many people there with hockey, so when I found someone willing to trade I was pretty excited. His cards were supposedly marked with high BV and then an asking price. He had a Datsyuk auto #/25 that didn't show a BV, but was $50 for his price. His asking prices were generally about 50% high BV, so I guessed that this was a $100 card. I told him what the BV's were on the cards I brought. No Beckett available to check his, so when he picked 2 cards that he would have to have for it I made a trade for about $120 in cards.

When I got home and was able to look this up, it has a high BV of $30. What a joke. This is why I stopped going to shows 2 years ago - maybe it was the same guy, he did look familiar.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like more and more people are looking to pull one over on you at these events. I am going to email the shop that setup the event and just let them know about this - obviously it is my fault for making the trade, but not entirely. To me it is very shady to represent a card to be more than triple what the actual BV is.

On a side note, at the other end of the show I was NOT able to make a deal for a Datsyuk Certified FotG auto #/5 because he was pretty much looking for the cards I had traded to the other ripoff guy. That makes it so much worse. I guess I started at the wrong end of the show.

Sorry for the rant.

Nathan

RE: Screwed at the card show
(06-25-2012, 03:57 PM)madmack29 Wrote: So why is it that some dealers have to be so shady.

I went to a show at the mall this past weekend and wanted to do some trading. There weren't many people there with hockey, so when I found someone willing to trade I was pretty excited. His cards were supposedly marked with high BV and then an asking price. He had a Datsyuk auto #/25 that didn't show a BV, but was $50 for his price. His asking prices were generally about 50% high BV, so I guessed that this was a $100 card. I told him what the BV's were on the cards I brought. No Beckett available to check his, so when he picked 2 cards that he would have to have for it I made a trade for about $120 in cards.

When I got home and was able to look this up, it has a high BV of $30. What a joke. This is why I stopped going to shows 2 years ago - maybe it was the same guy, he did look familiar.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like more and more people are looking to pull one over on you at these events. I am going to email the shop that setup the event and just let them know about this - obviously it is my fault for making the trade, but not entirely. To me it is very shady to represent a card to be more than triple what the actual BV is.

On a side note, at the other end of the show I was NOT able to make a deal for a Datsyuk Certified FotG auto #/5 because he was pretty much looking for the cards I had traded to the other ripoff guy. That makes it so much worse. I guess I started at the wrong end of the show.

Sorry for the rant.

Nathan
Nathan, I'm sorry that you feel like you were screwed at the card show, but let me give you my take on it. The seller put a price on the card of $50 which he's totally entitled to sell the card for what he chooses, it was your assumption it was $100 card (you said you guessed $100 BV), and that assumption turned out to be wrong. I don't wan to rub salt in your wounds but I dont think he even misrepresented the card wrong, you assumed wrong and got burned. If you were happy with your end of the trade, regardless of BV, then look at it as a learning experience

I agree with boofish.

(06-25-2012, 04:40 PM)greg2424 Wrote: I agree with boofish.
So do I and make sure you have a Beckett before you go next time. Trading usually means that the dealer should come out a little ahead as he has to pay for the tables etc. We have all learned the hard way and it only makes you better next time around.

All - I understand that this is 100% my fault for the trade. I have rented space at a show before so I know about the buying a table thing and expenses, so I was OK with him getting about 20-30% more in the trade. I also understand trying to make a profit. But $100 profit on a $30 card is a bit much - but I agreed to the trade.

The Beckett thing - the last time I was at this show dealers all had Becketts to look up prices on the spot, so I didn't feel the need to take one. Then again, the last time I went to this show was 2 years ago.

The issue I have is that he had little tags on everything that showed BV and his price. All of his cards from this year were priced between 40 and 60% BV, this particular card had ##/25 in the place of the BV. I am upset at what appears to be misrepresenting a BV, based on how everything else was marked. Again, these are all assumptions on my part I know.

On a side note, I thought that cards #/25 or less didn't have a BV listed due to scarcity. All of the ones that I have for trade at least state this online. Maybe he assumed this as well and priced it as such.

Anyway - to your point I do like the card that I received, but it was just disappointing to "think" that I was misled by his stickering. Yes I realize that buyer beware and all, and a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay (or trade) for it. I guess that makes my Datsyuk worth more, to me at least.

IMO you did get screwed. Maybe it's just because I'm an honest person and wouldn't take advantage of someone like that, but in his defense (as you mentioned) maybe he didn't know the BV of the card and assumed it wasn't listed since it's /25.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

Well what Datsyuk auto is it, since there is all the problems, I will take it off your hands Smile

Hate to say it, but let the buyer beware.
Collecting all the Ron Hextall Cards especially those
pesky 1 of 1 cards and other low print runs.
I am also collecting Bernie Parent, Pelle Lindbergh,
Antero Niittymaki & other Flyers goalies.
http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww288/dam1057/

so, what cards did you trade away for the datsyuk?

And there is no such thing as a BV on cards, there is the beckett "guide" value but no Book Value as many people seem to think.

Beckett's have stated many times that their prices are to be used as a "guide" not as an accurate depiction of what a card is actually worth, a card is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it....., there are too many variables in play for ANYONE to be able to give an accurate value on a card.

And cards that are serial numbered to /25, /50, etc there are actually 50% more produced, to be used as replacement cards, "buy back" cards, etc...
the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

I'd say if you were originally happy with the trade because you liked the card(s) you got, you shouldn't feel that you got screwed.

I always look at it like this ... if two cards being traded for each other are in the same ballpark value wise, it shouldn't matter a few bucks' difference.

If it's WAY off one way or the other, the person on the lower end of the deal should have done more homework.

Unless he's happy with what he got ... then you just go back to the top of my post, LOL