Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Are You a Super Collector?
Video 
Why Are You a Super Collector?
I know there's a thread going about what constitutes a super collector. That's not what this thread is about. I visit about 3 different boards and I find the Beckett's boards might be the one spot where people self reflect and can give a thoughtful answer.

Lately I've been working on a few older sets. I've hit a few snags on some of my more recent sets. I deal with a lot of different kinds of collectors when trying to pick up new additions. I try to give everyone I deal with the proper respect when making offers. Usually, I offer super collectors more than recent sells and often more than what they purchased for. I find counteroffers coming back 2 - 4x what they acquired it for. I can't tell if they're serious or just insulted.

Help me get a better understanding!

RE: Why Are You a Super Collector?
I find that those *collectors* who try to off a card for x-times more than they paid for it, are NOT super collectors. I call them dealers myself. People who are serious about collecting are usually respectful.

Oh, this is just my opinion-and as you know, we all have one..
[Image: AllthingsOregon2copy.jpg]

S.C.U.M = Sad Classless Unethical Manipulators

They only collect to squeeze money out of collectors. There are many on these boards and others, as well as ebay you find them buying printing plates for $5-$10 bucks then listing them to $50-$100. They are "Supercollecting" a new player every 3 months. They have holy grail error rc cards which are just common worthless misprints that aren't even rc cards and so forth.

I avoid them like the plague! I am NOT a supercollector I am just a collector who enjoys the hobby.
- Collecting Navorro Bowman - http://tinyurl.com/bowmancollection
Total Cards = (236/349) 67%
Auto 59/83 Jersey 4/4

So, I was just making myself a new banner that said I am supercollecting Emmitt Smith because I always have lol. Should I avoid that word?? Tongue
[Image: WebBannerv2.jpg]

(05-22-2012, 01:25 PM)koolkellygirl Wrote: I find that those *collectors* who try to off a card for x-times more than they paid for it, are NOT super collectors. I call them dealers myself. People who are serious about collecting are usually respectful.

Yeah, I'm with you. They're just dealers. Seems to be the case a lot recently. Maybe this past year or so, or maybe I'm just becomming used to it.

I've never had an issue with a "collector". But the "dealers" always want to kinda win the trade so to speak.
Resident Joique Bell Hoarder!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/monsterx

(05-22-2012, 01:25 PM)koolkellygirl Wrote: I find that those *collectors* who try to off a card for x-times more than they paid for it, are NOT super collectors. I call them dealers myself. People who are serious about collecting are usually respectful.

Agreed. Well put, Kelly. The difference between a super-collector (or even a "regular" collector) and a dealer is just that: a dealer deals instead of collects. Someone could offer me 5 times the value for some of my Lee Evans cards and I'd say no, I'm keeping them, because I collect for the enjoyment of it. (Incidentally, I have a hard time of explaining this to my wife: "What are you going to do with all of those cards? You just look at them!") Smile

On a side note, good to see you back around, Mel!
Always interested in any Wisco alums I don't have.
[Image: banner2_zpsa33ddbe8.jpg]
The Wisconsin Collection

For better or for worse, I understand what I'm dealing with when negotiating with "dealers".

I understand the personal meaning of an item for a collector. I don't have hundreds of items for any one player, as far as I know. It's hard for me to relate.

However, if you have 4 or 5 of the same card of the same player, why try to pay for all 4 by selling one? Especially, to a fellow collector?

I'd like to have more patience when dealing with super collectors. Maybe some are just extreme fans (positive) or just quirky hoarders (negative). Most of us are somewhere in between.

I'm trying to be positive. More thoughts.

I chose to be a super collector because it helped my wallet because I focused on one player rather than a bunch of different ones with no real focus. It was just too expensive.

(05-22-2012, 02:08 PM)melcmd Wrote: However, if you have 4 or 5 of the same card of the same player, why try to pay for all 4 by selling one? Especially, to a fellow collector?
That right there is ridiculous. Spread the wealth, IMO, especially, like you say, to a fellow collector. Sheesh
Always interested in any Wisco alums I don't have.
[Image: banner2_zpsa33ddbe8.jpg]
The Wisconsin Collection

(05-22-2012, 02:03 PM)sconnienation3 Wrote: Agreed. Well put, Kelly. The difference between a super-collector (or even a "regular" collector) and a dealer is just that: a dealer deals instead of collects. Someone could offer me 5 times the value for some of my Lee Evans cards and I'd say no, I'm keeping them, because I collect for the enjoyment of it. (Incidentally, I have a hard time of explaining this to my wife: "What are you going to do with all of those cards? You just look at them!") Smile

On a side note, good to see you back around, Mel!
Thanks, Sconnie.

This response is what I would expect a true super collector to say. I get this. Then the onus is on me to make a crazy offer to try to get you give it up.

I get approached a lot by super collectors who offer me items at a ridiculous price because they know I'm looking. They tell me they're "doing me a favor..."

Just hard to comprehend.