`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got To Meet A Former Player Last Night...

Got To Meet A Former Player Last Night...
Last night at a high school basketball game, our town celebrated the career of the only player to make it to the majors from here - Marc Hill. I've collected and known about Mark since I was a kid. My grandmother used to babysit him and when she passed away, she had his '83 Topps card amongst her possessions. After the ceremony he displayed some of his game used stuff; his bat, Cardinal hat, etc. I was able to approach him with my son and get a couple of autographs. We talked about my family and other former local ball players like Ron Hunt and the fact that he still gets 10,000 autograph requests a year by mail. The funny thing is that he lives here, and I know I've seen him around town but I never knew who he was.

He was drafted by the Cardinals in 1970. His first card is in 1975 Topps and he shares that card with some guy named Gary Carter Smile He also played for the Giants, Mariners, and White Sox. He went on to coach for the Astros and the Yankees. He was also a minor league manager. During his career, he caught the likes of Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, and Steve Carlton. According to him he also threw out Lou Brock stealing several times.

Photobucket
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

RE: Got To Meet A Former Player Last Night...
That's a pretty cool story!
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

That is awesome! I just picked up that rookie card of carter and 3 other catchers and outfielders as well. Smile
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

That's a great story. It sounds like he's a down to earth guy.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

Neat story. Thanks for sharing.
[Image: stl.jpg]
I build sets, collect Lou Brock & Jeremy Maclin. Both of my sons went to Kirkwood HS with Jeremy. I will also look at Kurt Warner, Big Ben and Old Big Red Auto's.

(02-23-2012, 03:05 PM)bigt314 Wrote: Neat story. Thanks for sharing.
+1
Collect Andrew McCutchen, Roberto Clemente and most current/vintage Pirates. Some Braves Dynasty like Maddux, Klesko, Javy & Chipper.

[Image: cutchbanner.jpg]

10,000 requests by mail per year. Holy buckets!
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

(02-23-2012, 04:26 PM)ryancholden Wrote: 10,000 requests by mail per year. Holy buckets!
just imagine what players like pujols and the BIG name guys get

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.

That's a great story. The only celeb from my HS (Dearborn High) was George Peppard. Derek Lowe graduated from my sister's HS (Edsel Ford). Maybe I'll get to meet Derek one day....who knows?

Click above to see my GQ leather minis (162/350) - Updated 03/01/13
WANTED: 1978 Tigers Team Issue Set, 2007 Fleer Mini Die Cuts Gold #216 Magglio Ordonez