`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Basketball Sets?

Best Basketball Sets?
Hi all, I'm looking to start collecting a new set and I'm asking for ideas and suggestions. I don't want anything that is really expensive or impossible to find, but I'm open to all suggestions. I personally like sets like 96 / 97 spx, topps chrome sets and 96 Ex 2000. Let me know what your favorite sets are or what ones you had the most fun collecting. Add a picture too if you have one.

Thanks!

RE: Best Basketball Sets?
try the 1992-93 upper deck set.
it has a few error cards that are good to try and track down
Plus this set includes all the greats

(01-21-2012, 05:45 AM)9293upperdeck Wrote: try the 1992-93 upper deck set.
it has a few error cards that are good to try and track down
Plus this set includes all the greats
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look in that one.

Bump... Come on people its not that hard, just looking for some input here.

(01-23-2012, 02:28 PM)edye1286 Wrote: Bump... Come on people its not that hard, just looking for some input here.
You shouldn't look for others to give you ideas. You should pick a set(s) and just collect it.

About two years ago I started collecting all sorts of mid 90's sets. Basic and inserts.

I had em all...I miss those cards.

I had the Big Men On Court, Hot Numbers, E-X, SPx, SPx Gold, all the finests, over 50 different sets all completed.

You should complete something that will make you happy when you look back and see what you have accomplished.

Also, when you say no something that is difficult or expensive, in my opinion, you should change that attitude. If finances are low, then start with the lower end players first, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a brighter one. Try collecting something rare, something not too many people would attempt. When you accomplish it, it will bring you joy and probably a nice return on your investment.

Good luck man!

I like the sets that are tough to get...Getting the bowman/bowman chrome/bowman gold of the 03-04 - 05-06...topps turkey red and the red/white/black parallels. Fleer master sets when they have a glossy version of each base and insert set. You also cant go wrong with any Topps Chrome, to me thats the best set to go after for the rcs Smile
Players I Collect:

[Image: NewBanner_zps183e3df7.jpg][/URL]

Henderson Auto PC Stats:
Non 1/1's Autos: 193/202 95.5%
1/1's: 22/37 59.5%
Jersey #'d - 65

(01-23-2012, 04:54 PM)wegotthattoo Wrote: You shouldn't look for others to give you ideas. You should pick a set(s) and just collect it.

About two years ago I started collecting all sorts of mid 90's sets. Basic and inserts.

I had the Big Men On Court, Hot Numbers, E-X, SPx, SPx Gold, all the finests, over 50 different sets all completed.

You should complete something that will make you happy when you look back and see what you have accomplished.

Also, when you say no something that is difficult or expensive, in my opinion, you should change that attitude. If finances are low, then start with the lower end players first, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully a brighter one. Try collecting something rare, something not too many people would attempt. When you accomplish it, it will bring you joy and probably a nice return on your investment.

Good luck man!
+1

I should change now.
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(01-23-2012, 04:54 PM)wegotthattoo Wrote: You shouldn't look for others to give you ideas. You should pick a set(s) and just collect it.

Good luck man!

Thanks for the advice. I agree that I should collect the sets I want but I was more or less looking for ideas of good looking sets. I have a good idea of some that I want but I was just looking to see if there was any out there that I was unaware of. I too just completed my 96 spx and I'm almost done with my 98-99 topps chrome set, just need a few more commons / should have them this week. I'm looking to start a 1997 spx next along with a few different 90's inset sets. I like your optimistic outlook as well. When I said not expensive I really meant be reasonable. Even if I was a billionaire I would not spend 10's to 100's of thousands on completing a card set. Thanks again.
(01-23-2012, 08:03 PM)crimedawg47 Wrote: I like the sets that are tough to get...Getting the bowman/bowman chrome/bowman gold of the 03-04 - 05-06...topps turkey red and the red/white/black parallels. Fleer master sets when they have a glossy version of each base and insert set. You also cant go wrong with any Topps Chrome, to me thats the best set to go after for the rcs Smile
I really like the bowman and the topps chrome too. You got me thinking and looking in to some of the other glossy and parallel sets. Thanks for the advice!

The set that got me back into collecting is Ultimate Collections 06-07. I loved the Legends /99 & also the Ultimate Signatures. I've been able to collect a complete set, including legends & RC/autos. Also, the Ultimate Signatures set. Almost got two Ultimate Signatures, but the MJ costs a pretty penny now.. wanted to get a 2nd set to give to my brother. he hasn't collected cards since 95. But he loves autos. Especially when it's on a picture that he took.

The other sets I fell in love with was Chronology, but they are extremely hard to put together, because so few cards in a pack & I had to wait for others to bust them open & then buy them online. Luckily I was able to get a few huge lots to help in the chase. Only looking for a few more cards of the base set. The chronology auto.. I'll never attempt, but am looking for Lakers autos.

My current chase is Elite Black Box base. I started with Black Box Lakers autos, which I have all the "status version autos". Just received Kobe today & for what I thought was a reasonable price ($118, think $10 shipping registered from AU, but can't remember exact shipping costs off hand). I know Black Box will take forever, since there are 212 base cards with print run of /99. Mostly looking for "lots" too expensive to buy one at a time. The reason I chose to go after Elite Black Box is because of the huge checklist. A lot of people were busting boxes at the time.. seems like it has slowed down now..

I would recommend picking a product design that best suits your tastes. Something that has auto rookies. Not too much fun just collecting base cards, unless it is Exquisite or Chronology.

One set I went for & still working on is Limited 09-10. I decided to go for the entire base, legends, & RC/auto set after busting a case. I got the case because of the huge checklist, cheap at the time.. something like $72/pack.. forget exact price. Now they are close to $200/pack. Lucky that I bought the Blake before the prices went up. I completed the RC/auto set pretty fast. still need a few base & about 1/3 of the Legends, which have become hard to find.

I would try chasing two different collections.. one a set & another maybe an insert/game used/ or auto set. Doesn't have to be from one set.. you could collect something like autos from one team as I am collecting top 50 Lakers autos. Knowing that some old school players never signed cards... or top 50 Hall of Famers.. as a few collectors on Beckett are chasing.. those collections are some of the best that I've seen. They can get expensive for a few of the players.. (i.e. WILT, Charles Barkley, Pistol Pete, ect).

What ever you decide to chase, I am pretty sure there are plenty of traders here or on other sites that will help in your chase. Good luck to what ever product you decide.

Below are a few sets I'm currently chasing or have completed...
** Still looking for Topps Signature 08-09 Black Facsmiles...
http://photobucket.com/topps-signatures
http://photobucket.com/ULTIMATE_SIGNATURES
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/j...20Legends/ Ultimate Legends /99
http://photobucket.com/spx_06-07_winning-material

50 Greatest Lakers collection, including Elite Black Box Lakers Autos...
http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb1/j...%20LAKERS/
PC Farmar collection: http://photobucket.com/farmar

NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(01-23-2012, 10:30 PM)edye1286 Wrote: When I said not expensive I really meant be reasonable. Even if I was a billionaire I would not spend 10's to 100's of thousands on completing a card set. Thanks again.
LOL That's funny...I'm not a billionaire, but I have spent over 10K on collecting a set that is not even completed yet.

Everyone is different - Every person will have their own favorite set. Take the one you like the most (even if it's a miserable 96-97 Hoops base set) and complete that. That set may bring more happiness to you after completion than an Exquisite set. Bad comparison, but you get the point Big Grin