`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Basketball Sets?

RE: Best Basketball Sets?
I agree with most of what's been said previously. First you have to determine if you're collecting it for you to keep or the chase and kickback. If it's for the kickback, go after something that isn't too expensive, but good looking and kind of difficult to get. If it's kind of difficult for you to get it, if you put the set together, it'll be that much easier to sell the set. Smile

However, if you're like me, and it's to keep then go after whatever your wallet can handle and what looks good to you. Some of the sets I collect would not sell for more than $10 as a completed set (like my 1993-94 Upper Deck Pro Visions set) but I think they're cool and when I look back at them, I can see the highlights of that year and before. Ideally, when I first got into card collecting, I wanted to have a complete set of every set. But when they started limiting the print run of cards, that goal was thrown out the window. Smile I'm not a person that goes after master sets, but if there is a set that has multiple parallels, I say go after the one you like the best. Take for instance jpleazme805's example of 2009-10 Limited. To me, the Blue set looks the best, so I'd go after that one. I don't think I could ever go after all 5 parallel/base of that set (base, blue, green, red, gold - I didn't include black because it's 1/1). If I were to ever try for the 1997-98 Fleer set again, I might actually have to do the base and parallel. I like the matte finish of the base, but I really like the Tiffany collection as well (but that's hard to get).

Whatever you choose, make sure you choose it for the right reasons. If it's kickback, it has to be something you see people chasing. If it's to keep, it's something that's worth chasing for you and something you think looks nice. Good luck on your decision.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(01-24-2012, 12:06 PM)wegotthattoo Wrote: LOL That's funny...I'm not a billionaire, but I have spent over 10K on collecting a set that is not even completed yet.

Everyone is different - Every person will have their own favorite set. Take the one you like the most (even if it's a miserable 96-97 Hoops base set) and complete that. That set may bring more happiness to you after completion than an Exquisite set. Bad comparison, but you get the point Big Grin
WEGOTTHATOO.... what set have you been chasing? That's a lot of money... first thought would be something exquisite or a graded 86-97 set.... Curious
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(01-24-2012, 03:33 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: WEGOTTHATOO.... what set have you been chasing? That's a lot of money... first thought would be something exquisite or a graded 86-97 set.... Curious
I'm still in the process of the set so I don't wish to leak out that information, no disrespect. As soon as I have completed the set, you will see an article in Beckett. Spoke to them via email years ago regarding the set and they said that "if" it was completed, it may be one of the most difficult set ever put together. I'm 93.9% completed right now.

(01-24-2012, 04:13 PM)wegotthattoo Wrote: I'm still in the process of the set so I don't wish to leak out that information, no disrespect. As soon as I have completed the set, you will see an article in Beckett. Spoke to them via email years ago regarding the set and they said that "if" it was completed, it may be one of the most difficult set ever put together. I'm 93.9% completed right now.
Can you at least tell us how many out of how many? Smile
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

(01-24-2012, 04:52 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: Can you at least tell us how many out of how many? Smile
LOL PM Sent

My apologies to everyone else. Just hang in there a bit longer and you will have your chance at being the second owner of this "One of a Kind Set"

That's right...the set I am working on will be for sale after I enjoy the attention and receive the credit for completing such a set.

Bottom line, start saving your $$$, sell your second car, tap into your kids tuition funds, rob a bank or whatever else you have to do to come up with the funds.

The beauty of this set is it has it all...all the greatest players...Current, Retired, HOFers, Etc...Jordan, James, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Stockton, Paul, Aldridge, Carmelo, Robinson, Hakeem, Bosh, Rodman, Bird, Erving & many many more.

Did I mention it's going to be the kind of set that can not be duplicated. Someone else will not be able to put this set together again without breaking up my lot. In other word's, it's a 1/1 set.

(01-24-2012, 05:19 PM)wegotthattoo Wrote: LOL PM Sent

My apologies to everyone else. Just hang in there a bit longer and you will have your chance at being the second owner of this "One of a Kind Set"

That's right...the set I am working on will be for sale after I enjoy the attention and receive the credit for completing such a set.

Bottom line, start saving your $$$, sell your second car, tap into your kids tuition funds, rob a bank or whatever else you have to do to come up with the funds.

The beauty of this set is it has it all...all the greatest players...Current, Retired, HOFers, Etc...Jordan, James, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Stockton, Paul, Aldridge, Carmelo, Robinson, Hakeem, Bosh, Rodman, Bird, Erving & many many more.

Did I mention it's going to be the kind of set that can not be duplicated. Someone else will not be able to put this set together again without breaking up my lot. In other word's, it's a 1/1 set.
My eyes just grew like this O.O
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(01-24-2012, 05:57 PM)filamuraireborn Wrote: My eyes just grew like this O.O
LOL What's that in between them?

Yes, it is an almost impossible set to collect. I have been at it for about 6 years now. Let's just say, I have people in Australia, Canada, China and Japan looking for these cards for me on a regular basis and I am still not done. It's the kind of set that I went an entire year without finding a single one.

When I used to tell people I wanted to collect this set, every single one of them laughed, then laughed some more when they realized I was serious. But now that I am so close...hopefully, I will have the last laugh.

(01-24-2012, 06:20 PM)wegotthattoo Wrote: LOL What's that in between them?

Yes, it is an almost impossible set to collect. I have been at it for about 6 years now. Let's just say, I have people in Australia, Canada, China and Japan looking for these cards for me on a regular basis and I am still not done. It's the kind of set that I went an entire year without finding a single one.

When I used to tell people I wanted to collect this set, every single one of them laughed, then laughed some more when they realized I was serious. But now that I am so close...hopefully, I will have the last laugh.
That's the nose! One little pointy nose!

I bet you will and the whole world will laugh with you! Peace out and good luck!
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

you just made me more interested in this mystery set you are putting together.. I was going to say complete Chronology 07-08 set, but if you been working on it for 6 years.. that can't be it.. 2nd guess would be the Epic Signatures 1999..... might be 1st year exquisite... might of pulled the Lebron RC out of a pack, saving a pretty penny...

can't wait to see the completed set. just hope nobody bids on the missing cards you need..

hey, maybe you're chasing the PMG.... ?? making the price skyrocket for everybody else...
NEED: SPA 08-09 "CITY NAME LETTERS" G, E, S 1/1 & /3 *ALL LAKAERS
NEED: ELITE BLACK BOX LAKERS AUTOS (KAREEM/10 & BAYLOR/24)
MY BUCKETT: http://photobucket.com/jpleazme
*United States Navy*

(01-24-2012, 07:05 PM)jpleazme805 Wrote: hey, maybe you're chasing the PMG.... ?? making the price skyrocket for everybody else...
Well just imagine what it would be worth as a complete set? Wink

It's so difficult because there are so many players in the set ~100 give or take 20 (not giving out specifics LOL)