Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Packaging cards....Tape issues

RE: Packaging cards....Tape issues
I use tape for good reasons.

I tape the top loader so the card won't slide out of it and slide around the package during delivery. If I use a team bag, I'll tape that too so the toploader/card/penny sleeve won't come open/out during shipping.

And I always, always tape the package. I've gotten several packages that were mysteriously opened during shipment and there's no card in there. The PO can't do anything about it. Plus, my delivery person is a card collector too and I don't want them walking off before they get to the post office. So, it's safer for me to use tape.

I use clear tape on everything. I don't buy painter's because you can't use that on the outside of the package and I don't have extra money to buy 2-3 rolls of tape.

I recycle all of the top loaders I receive my cards in. I don't use them for personal use because you never know where they've been or who's touched them, so they go to be used to mail other cards out. That way, I'll never had to use a good top loader to mail something. Even if the top loader is pristine when I get it in the mail and I don't have another to put the card in before placing it in my PC/set.

I'll leave the card in a penny sleeve until I can get a top loader that fits it. I usually have a good assortment of supplies on hand and that doesn't usually happen. But I'm in the middle of that scenario right now with all the UD Black base flag cards I've been getting. They're just in penny sleeves because my LCS doesn't have top loaders that will fit.

Scotch tape is for presents! I use duct tape and liquid nailz! Yeah!............. haha im kidding.

I don't alway use tape on the top loaders, But when i do, i prefer dos scotchtapies. Tape responsibly my friends.

More times than not, i wrap the invoice around the top loader and tape that. On the actual bubble mailer, i just use 3 small pieces of tape on the top sides and one in the middle just incase the sticky stuff doesn't stick. And i agree with the tape overkill on the top loaders. If its that bad i just throw em away.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

[quote='crazyforkinsler5' pid='1644571' dateline='1311966474']
I use tape for good reasons.

I tape the top loader so the card won't slide out of it and slide around the package during delivery. If I use a team bag, I'll tape that too so the toploader/card/penny sleeve won't come open/out during shipping.

Q~If you tape the top of the top loader so the card will not slide out, what happens to the card when it slides up and into the tape that you use to hold it in the top loader?
A~The card slides up into the tape and now the person who pulls the tape off now ruins the edge and sometimes the front of the card.
Q~If you put cards into top loaders and then into team bags, fold over the top of the team bag, and use the adhesive provided, and then sandwich inside of a bubble envelope, do you really think that team bag can possible come open?

IMO~ no tape on the open end of a top loader, and no tape on the team bag.

Quite frankly, I could care less. If my card shows up and is in the condition stated, I don't care how it was shipped. I'm not going to get worried about what could have potentially happened because bottom line is, it didn't happen and is not worth getting bent out of shape about.

I've gotten some packages with a little more tape than the norm but again, I don't care. If anything, it tells me the other person takes extra precautions and is more secure in their mailings. If I can't rip into the package with my hands, I spend 5 seconds walking into the kitchen, grab the scissors, and cut the edge off. It's no surprise where in the package the card is so I don't have to worry about cutting it. I can't see spending an extra 5-10 seconds to open your package being a big deal and a waste of time when we all spend more time than we probably should on the internet anyway reading mind-numbing things. Personally, I put four pieces of tape on my bubble mailers. One on each short end, overlapping from front to back, one across the back over the top of the folded over flap, and one small piece to cover the name/address of the person receiving just in case the package happened to run into a water/rain issue along the way.

In regards to tape on top loaders, again, I could care less as long as my card is in the stated condition. I've heard horror stories of sticky residue leaking down into the top loader and cards sticking to the tape but personally have never had to deal with that, thankfully. A simple piece of paper over the opening and having that taped on works fine. A team bag or regular sheet of paper wrapped around the top loader works fine to. I don't care about the residue on the outside of the top loader as I toss just about all of them anyway and when I ship, I mail out new penny sleeves/top loaders/team bags. I toss the others because I don't trade that much and don't want any extra clutter around. Granted, I don't think it should matter anyway since the trade was about cards and not top loaders. I'm certainly not going to walk around with my nose in the air about it.

(07-29-2011, 02:42 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Quite frankly, I could care less. If my card shows up and is in the condition stated, I don't care how it was shipped. I'm not going to get worried about what could have potentially happened because bottom line is, it didn't happen and is not worth getting bent out of shape about.
Yeh. I just got my end of our trade and it had a heck of a lot of tape on it. Lol. I appreciated that because I knew that my cards were well protected (and you took the time to make sure that they came in good condition). Likewise, the package that I sent to you was pretty secure.

Honestly, I don't mind a well taped package. I know that someone took the time, made the effort, or was at least a little concerned for the well being of my trade/purchase. I've worked as a military postal clerk for over twenty years and I've seen all kinds of damage due to inattentive shippers. I would rather take the extra time necessary to extricate my cards that have to deal with the headaches associated with my damaged shipment. Toploader tape is another issue entirely. Just my two pennies though.
[Image: chipper.jpg]

Collect Atlanta Braves cards/memorabilia. Chipper Jones and ROY autographs (107/130). Currently looking for 2004 Donruss Elite Passing the Torch cards of Chipper Jones, Dale Murphy, or both that I need.

(07-29-2011, 03:13 PM)chipper4president Wrote: Yeh. I just got my end of our trade and it had a heck of a lot of tape on it. Lol. I appreciated that because I knew that my cards were well protected (and you took the time to make sure that they came in good condition). Likewise, the package that I sent to you was pretty secure.
I usually just use bubble mailers but with the number of cards I sent you, had to use a box which I can't remember the last time I had to do! Glad you appreciated it and like I said in my post, am glad you took the extra time to make it secure. I love the cards by the way so thank you!

A few of you don't seem to understand the rant. I appreciate the tape. What I have trouble with is the fact that sometimes there is so much that the cards have to be cut out of the package and I have had toploaders taped together where scissors won't work and I have to get a knife. That is over kill. I don't mind grabbing scissors to cut the package but there is always risk cutting into it. I prefer a section left for ease but that is not near as bad as over killing the loader. Why have to trash materials, first, and second the residue is a mess and has no place around tape. Everyone who is using tape to protect the card could do so with masking rather than scotch tape or packing tape. The $1 it takes to buy a roll of masking that lasts forever is well worth it. Especially when its someone else's card being possibly damaged by opening that top loader. You should never have to stick a knife or razor blade into a loader to get to your card. I understand you didn't trade for the supplies but the card isn't anymore safe if you have to cut it out.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I wrap my cards in paper and tape the paper together....If i have cards in a team bag wrapped in paper and they get damaged then they prob woulda got damaged no matter what. I have alot of toploades that are all sticky and messed up from tape...and alot of the time its not scotch tape, it's some kind of super packaging tape that i cant peel or cut...i hate tape

I think I sometimes go overboard on taping envelopes/bubble mailers, but that's because I try to reuse them whenever possible. That usually means having to tape half a sheet of paper over the front to cover up previous addresses. Sometimes I laugh at myself for how bootleg it looks, but oh well.

As far as tape on toploaders, I HATE that as well. There are plenty of alternatives to putting scotch tape over the top. Teambags (what I use), masking tape, paper. I know when I'm packing stuff up, I'm really concerned about the condition the cards are gonna be in when they make their way to the trader. I'd really hate to screw something up and get a branded as a poor trader on here. It just takes a little (but not much) effort and thoughtfulness to keep everyone happy.

(07-29-2011, 04:32 PM)rossmaute Wrote: I think I sometimes go overboard on taping envelopes/bubble mailers, but that's because I try to reuse them whenever possible. That usually means having to tape half a sheet of paper over the front to cover up previous addresses. Sometimes I laugh at myself for how bootleg it looks, but oh well.

As far as tape on toploaders, I HATE that as well. There are plenty of alternatives to putting scotch tape over the top. Teambags (what I use), masking tape, paper. I know when I'm packing stuff up, I'm really concerned about the condition the cards are gonna be in when they make their way to the trader. I'd really hate to screw something up and get a branded as a poor trader on here. It just takes a little (but not much) effort and thoughtfulness to keep everyone happy.
+1, I know the fear of being branded is in everyone's mind. I understand reusing the envelope and having to tape. The taping of the loader is what really bugs me the most. Masking tape or team bags are very cheap. I used to use the bags and still do on occasion but with singles anymore I have gone to the masking tape because as much as I do the bags can add up.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html