`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
All Star Lineup Rant

RE: All Star Lineup Rant
(07-04-2011, 08:39 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: The reason why they let the fans vote is who buys the tickets to the game and spends there money? The fans do so instead of putting in the best players for that year where half of them people don't wanna see they let the fans pick. I am a Derek Jeter fan and I believe this year he should of not made it either but people wanna see him play there so thats why I knew he was going to be the starter. They have been doing it this way for years and you only have a complant when the guy you wanted to be a starter dosen't get picked as a starter. Why dose it matter anyway as more than likely Jeter will play half the game and your boy will play the other half. I am sure Jeter was robbed his first couple years as well going up against Ripken. It has nothing to do with the team but the player. As far as I know the Brewers are not a huge market team and they got 3 players in. Curtis Granderson has the stats to be in the All-Star game but he is not and he is a Yankee as well. So please use another excuse besides well hes on the Yankee team. Thanks
Well said, in the mid 90's & up there was Jeter, A Rod, Garciaparra & Ripken at SS. I didn't look up who played or their stats but i'm sure whoever wasn't voted to start had people complaing back then. Plus there was no winner gets WS home field advantage.
Collecting: Auto's, G/U Jsy/Bat, Refractors, etc.., Harper, Trout, Jeter, Mantle, Rivera, Pujols,Ripken, Griffey Jr, Heyward, Cal Ripken Jr., Posey,
Other Auto's, GU cards will be considered

(07-04-2011, 05:35 PM)rondo4president Wrote: Jeter is not even close to being an All-Star this year. The voting is a joke.
+ 1

It was not like this back in the day. You had a bad year you didn't get voted to play.

Today it's all about your NAME. Not what you do on the field.

I believe this guy said it best.

AL shortstop for life: Despite a subpar season, Trenton Thunder shortstop Derek Jeter(notes) was voted into his sixth straight Midsummer Classic and 11th overall. Just as you're sure to read plenty of profiles of Vogelsong's time in Japan, you're also going to hear plenty of bellyaching about Jeter's spot on the team with a 77 OPS+. Whatever. It's always been my position that the All-Star game should feature "stars" and there isn't a bigger one in baseball right now than Derek Jeter. With all apologies to Asdrubal Cabrera(notes) — who could start the game anyway if Jeter isn't up to the task — no one's tuning into the game to watch Asdrubal Cabrera.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

(07-04-2011, 08:39 PM)chrisa19978 Wrote: Curtis Granderson has the stats to be in the All-Star game but he is not and he is a Yankee as well. So please use another excuse besides well hes on the Yankee team. Thanks

?? Curtis Granderson is the starting center fielder for the AL

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

Here's my take. Both Cabrera and Peralta are having All-Star seasons, and they both deserve to be in the game (I voted for Cabrera). On the other hand, it is an all-STAR game, and, whether you like or not, Derek Jeter is the biggest star in the biggest market. The fans voted for him; the fans wanted to see him; and the fans got what they wanted.
P.S. A lot of people are forgetting this. Jeter might not even PLAY in the game because he doesn't want to risk re-injuring himself. And if that happens, Cabrera would be promoted to starter, Peralta would be added as a sub, and the Earth would rotate again.
I collect 1977-Present Baseball of any team, especially the Braves (NL) and the Red Sox (AL). Considering an expansion into vintage. I am slowly adding cards and wants to my org.

People vote for who they want to see, All Star voting is completely forgotten about the week after the All Star game.
[Image: 374.gif][Image: 1337.gif]

I'm more shocked by Sabathia's omission. Tied for the league-lead for wins and in top 15 for strikeouts with a 3 ERA in the AL... thought for sure he would have been picked.
Collecting Rank:

1) Sets
2) Yankees
3) Alex Rodriguez
4) Roy Halladay
5) Mario Encarnacion
6) Mr. Feeny

Pitchers are selected by the managers -- if a guy just pitched and obviously can't at the game he's likely to get passed over.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

surprised tommy hanson didn't make it, but braves have a pretty solid showing on the team.

the stars on the back collar of their jerseys is a nice touch... have they done that in prior years?
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

... the ASG isnt about performance. its about people seeing all their favorite players on the field at the same time. when it becomes about performance, not as many people will watch, thus defeating the purpose of an ASG... i hate to tell ya, but more than likely, no one will know who asdrubal is 10 years from now but EVERYONE will know exactly who jeter is...
I collect current Braves and Braves Prospects Autograph, Memorabilia, First Year and Rookie Cards.

Don't Click Here.

[Image: 5WSGR.png]