`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Donruss Optic, what's your thoughts on this?

2021 Donruss Optic, what's your thoughts on this?
Ordered from Target what I could get.
 Did get a White Hot Rookies Zach Wilson and a Gifted Rookies Ja'Marr Chase, a Kyle Trask RC, plus Amon-Ra St. Brown Green Velocity.  Maybe the Wilson is worth getting graded... if he ever gets back in the huddle.

Nice looking cards but not of fan of including retired HOFers like Randy Moss and Barry Sanders.

RE: 2021 Donruss Optic, what's your thoughts on this?
Donruss Optic is probably my favorite product, however I agree, a lot of cards of players from years past. IMO, if the Wilson is not numbered, I personally wouldn't send it in for grading, unless you know for sure you'll get a 10; otherwise that particular insert may not hold its value. Just my two cents.

That Amon-Ra St. Brown is an absolute GEM FIRE, let's effffffing go banger, and I am sure you'll be getting hit up for it Wink
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

Honestly, for me anyway, without the retired players, I wouldn't even bother with Optic. I think the retired players "add value" to the overall product.

That said, I do like the base parallels for chasing a rainbow.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

Donruss Optic started in 2016 as 200 card set. 100 vets and 100 rc's. Now it has grown to a 300 card set including an extra 100 vets and retired players = tons more parallels = overall increase of production of base cards.

Same with Prestige. 2016 it was 300 cards. Now it is 400 cards with a lot of retired players.

Same with Prizm. 2016 it was 300 cards. Now it is 440 cards with a lot of retired players. Tons of base flooding market. Prices going down. Case in point. When I happened to be at WalMart at a restock, I was able to get a couple of Prizm hangers. Got a Najee Harris base RC. First listing was at $30, the next at $4. Also got the Josh Allen Red Cracked Ice. First listing was at $50, the next $6.

Just way to much production.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

I haven't gotten any Donruss from 2021 other than the Eagles team set.

I haven't gotten any Optic.

Maybe I'll get individual cards of this later, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy boxes even at retail at retail prices. I don't think the value is there.

Remember that blasters of 2017 Optic were still showing up at a discount at Wal-Mart into early 2020. That should tell you all you need to know about Optic retail.

Well, I can say this ... I stopped in at WalMart on my way in from work Friday night and there some DBN foot soldiers clearing out all the Optic.

This one reeeeeeaaaaaaally pathetic looking slob was like, "you just missed it, maaaaannnn ..." as his buddy pulled up behind him with all the blasters and hangers in a cart.

(Grinning ear to ear like he 'won' something ...)

I was like, "no, I'm cool, I'm not a doosh bag flipper like you and your buddy, I'll grab something else ..."

And then no response from either of them. They're cowards, and they're not that bright.

(Please, for any of you contemplating the whole 'wow, RJ, you're a jerk, doosh bags are people too and deserve respect' crap - no, let's be crystal clear ... they're doosh bags. I do the same thing with pack searchers. Always have, always will.)

Anyway, back on topic.

So they did leave a few pack searched "fat packs" of 12 cards each, and given that they were the low low Paniniflation price of $14.99, I just grabbed one to see a sampler of how badly I wasted my money.

Yep ... 13 base cards (no prizms of any kind), plus a Rated Rookie of Hunter Long and a Gifted Rookies insert of Elijah Moore.

Hunter Long, in case you were wondering, has racked up ... let's see, do the math, carry the 1, OK, almost got it  ... exactly 1 catch for 8 yards in his career so far.

So ... yeah ... 15 bucks for what is basically 12 commons. Moore is not a bad player and the cards themselves are nice, but at $1.25 per card, I'm out.

Can't even imagine how expensive the blasters are or what a bad deal they are value-wise.

They are nice cards, though ... I just picked up the Rated Rookie singles of St. Brown and Sewell for my Lions PC for a grand total of $4.59 shipped.

(09-26-2022, 10:23 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: So they did leave a few "fat packs" of 12 cards each, and given that they were the low low Paniniflation price of $14.99, I just grabbed one to see a sampler of how badly I wasted my money.

Yep ... 13 base cards (no prizms of any kind), plus a Rated Rookie of Hunter Long and a Gifted Rookies insert of Elijah Moore.
RJ, they left those fat packs, because they pack searched them.  With the Optics, you can see the "hit" as it is the last card in the pack i.e. green velocity or other insert.  They likely left the ones there, as they were not worth the $15, since they couldn't easily flip them.  These are true DB's.  

On a side note, I got a BANGER of a St. Brown for you, Red efffffffing MOJO, let's GO!!!!!
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

(09-26-2022, 11:00 AM)Speak917 Wrote: RJ, they left those fat packs, because they pack searched them.  With the Optics, you can see the "hit" as it is the last card in the pack i.e. green velocity or other insert.  They likely left the ones there, as they were not worth the $15, since they couldn't easily flip them.  These are true DB's.  

On a side note, I got a BANGER of a St. Brown for you, Red efffffffing MOJO, let's GO!!!!!
That's what I thought ... and a large part of the reason I didn't buy more.

(Also, reason #12,345,789 to hate Panini ... who puts the hit on the back of the pack to encourage the dumba-- pack searchers?)

I still haven't forgotten about getting you back for the nice USC/Lions package, I'm compiling as we speak.

(09-26-2022, 11:00 AM)Speak917 Wrote: RJ, they left those fat packs, because they pack searched them.  With the Optics, you can see the "hit" as it is the last card in the pack i.e. green velocity or other insert.  They likely left the ones there, as they were not worth the $15, since they couldn't easily flip them.  These are true DB's.  

Panini doesn't care anymore - look at Legacy Hobby Boxes.  Back in the olden times, Panini would put in dummy cards so you couldn't instantly look at the packs in the box and tell which one had the "hit" - I've gotten a couple of Legacy hobby boxes, both of which had auto-relic cards which were big, thick, and easily detected simply by looking - with no dummy cards, it is extremely easy for an unscrupilious actor to get the auto-relic and then sell the remaining packs even though one of the autograph hits will be missing.

The DBN has won, they are the customers the card companies have chosen.

(09-26-2022, 11:31 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: Panini doesn't care anymore - look at Legacy Hobby Boxes.  Back in the olden times, Panini would put in dummy cards so you couldn't instantly look at the packs in the box and tell which one had the "hit" - I've gotten a couple of Legacy hobby boxes, both of which had auto-relic cards which were big, thick, and easily detected simply by looking - with no dummy cards, it is extremely easy for an unscrupilious actor to get the auto-relic and then sell the remaining packs even though one of the autograph hits will be missing.

The DBN has won, they are the customers the card companies have chosen.
They would have to care enough to choose sides.

The bottom line is Panini just doesn't care.