`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are you spending your $600 on cards?

RE: Are you spending your $600 on cards?
zeprock Wrote:Wow. You guys live in a different financial world than I do. My wife lost her job this year due to Covid. I work two jobs, one as a Creative Services Manager at a local tv station where I write commercials, shoot video for commercials, create graphics, edit video, produce and do the voice on tv commercials and the other job is part-time on Sundays producing and hosting my own radio show which is broadcast worldwide via the web. I made $47,000 last year combined from the two jobs and that includes bonuses. I would earn more doing the same thing if I worked in a larger market but I live in the woods in Maine and it is what it is. I'm not complaining because I love what I do and don't dread going to work every day and that accounts for a lot. I guess if I earned twice as much as I do I would probably buy more cards too.
In 2019 I was shocked to find that I spent over $6,000 on the hobby.  I set a budget of $3,000 for 2020 but lost my job back in April.  2 months later I had a job that paid only 75% of the previous salary so I have only spent $2,400 in 2020.

My wife and I combined have made 6 figures since 2007 but we certainly do not feel well off and do not have any 'toys' or alternative dwelling at a lake or fancy trips or trinkets.  We just like living without credit card debt.  So, for 2021 my budget will again be $2,400 and that will not be missed or noticed unless something drastic happens.

kerryandbeth Wrote:In 2019 I was shocked to find that I spent over $6,000 on the hobby.  I set a budget of $3,000 for 2020 but lost my job back in April.  2 months later I had a job that paid only 75% of the previous salary so I have only spent $2,400 in 2020.

My wife and I combined have made 6 figures since 2007 but we certainly do not feel well off and do not have any 'toys' or alternative dwelling at a lake or fancy trips or trinkets.  We just like living without credit card debt.  So, for 2021 my budget will again be $2,400 and that will not be missed or noticed unless something drastic happens.
I’m the same way no credit cards no personal loans and my wife has not worked since before my oldest was born and she will be 22 this May
i had a budget myself but got no where near it. I had 4000 budgeted but life happens In January we had a cancer scare with my middle daughter and every extra dollar went to paying bills and with Covid we had some very tuff months but luckily I was able to keep my job and insurance
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

My $600 will go into savings for unexpected expenses. My collecting usually goes in waves and I haven’t been excited about buying anything lately. Before COVID, I was opening 2010 Bowman blasters every now and then. But I can’t bring myself to pay $70 a box.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

Probably none of the stimulus check will go to cards. I allow myself a $50 a week play money budget that mostly goes towards cards. I was very fortunate last year, in that both my wife and I worked the full year. With that said, my budget will not change and any extra money goes into the bills/house account. Will pay off the credit cards after Christmas, regardless of stimulus checks, but a check would make it easier.

Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

Thankfully my wife and I have not been in the position that most you have, nor do I want to start up a crap storm about how I feel about the "stimulus" even though we got $4.25 from the first round and will get $0 this round. I pray that the country as a whole can heal, and we can once again be the most prosperous, dominant country in the world (sorry my Canadian trading partners). I also pray that you all find joy in this kids hobby with the $5 you spend a month or the $50,000 you spend a month. May you all hit card gold!