`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the Retail Sharks and the LCS are One in the Same

When the Retail Sharks and the LCS are One in the Same
Today I stopped at the LCS for some supplies and noticed they had a bunch of marked up retail product - Bowman Chrome mega boxes, Ginter blasters, Mosaic football blasters, hangers and Megas, Chronicles baseball, etc.

And then I noticed them stocking the shelves ... from HEAPING Walmart bags on the counter. I'm guessing they put out about 20-30 hanger packs of Mosaic and had at least another 50 in the Walmart bag.

I suspected they were the ones clearing the retail shelves when Target exclusives started showing up. And as such, I never bought any from them.

Had I not needed the supplies, I would've walked out.

Instead, I bought an overpriced Mosaic hanger, an overpriced Chronicles blaster and a Chrome mega, bit my tongue and left.

I'm considering it a parting gift as now every single thing I purchase, from supplies to hobby boxes and singles, is going to be either from a retail store or an online outlet.

I'd estimate I spend $2,000 a year at that store for the last several years and now that my suspicions were verified first-hand, I'll spend that money elsewhere. There's a new LCS, but it's further away and I'm sure they do the same thing.

I shouldn't have contributed to the problem, but I'm weak - at least I pulled two Robert RCs from the Bowman box.
Kepler

RE: When the Retail Sharks and the LCS are One in the Same
jaredhuizenga Wrote:Instead, I bought an overpriced Mosaic hanger, an overpriced Chronicles blaster and a Chrome mega, bit my tongue and left.

I shouldn't have contributed to the problem, but I'm weak - at least I pulled two Robert RCs from the Bowman box.
Hence, the problem.  Crimes would not happen without victims.

kerryandbeth Wrote:Hence, the problem.  Crimes would not happen without victims.
True, but it makes me feel a lot better knowing it's the last money I'll spend with them - including on Beckett marketplace and Ebay.
Kepler

jaredhuizenga Wrote:True, but it makes me feel a lot better knowing it's the last money I'll spend with them - including on Beckett marketplace and Ebay.
Amen to that!  Scum everywhere.  Sad.

kerryandbeth Wrote:Amen to that!  Scum everywhere.  Sad.
Good guys, or at least they used to be. I used to drive from Eden Prairie to Roseville to buy from them (50 miles round trip) and was really excited when they put up a second store (18 miles round trip).

Unfortunately, the hobby boom this year has changed the dynamic. They're not really friendly anymore, the clientele is no longer fun to chat with (and they're not really willing to) and they're more worried about their online "break network" and raiding retail than actually supporting the hobby.

Good luck to them - and I mean that sincerely - but I'd rather buy from the big sellers who make their profit through sheer volume rather than insane prices and individual online sellers (preferably those that were doing it before March).
Kepler

I have not purchased retail since 2013. I have not been in a LCS since 2005. Yet, I have a great collection without spending too much and have not been ripped off.

So, whatever a person can do to have fun with this hobby.

My best tools:
1. Pre-sell hobby box prices
2. COMC sales on singles
3. Avoid products that are targeted for monster hits

kerryandbeth Wrote:I have not purchased retail since 2013.  I have not been in a LCS since 2005.  Yet, I have a great collection without spending too much and have not been ripped off.

So, whatever a person can do to have fun with this hobby.

My best tools:
1.  Pre-sell hobby box prices
2.  COMC sales on singles
3.  Avoid products that are targeted for monster hits
Good tools all around. I pre-ordered my first box this year with Stadium Club and might do it again for Stadium Club Chrome. I look at COMC all the time, but haven't bought much, but that might change. I've never been much of a monster hunter so that'll probably be the easiest one to stick to.
Kepler

I bought 3 rounds of cards from COMC since April. Total paid was about $400 for over $1,000 Beckett value. Shipping and toploaders included but 3-month wait on shipping (coming this month and December).

kerryandbeth Wrote:I bought 3 rounds of cards from COMC since April.  Total paid was about $400 for over $1,000 Beckett value.  Shipping and toploaders included but 3-month wait on shipping (coming this month and December).
I only had one small, three-card purchase and I paid like $1 extra and had them within a couple of weeks. I know a lot of people are staying away because of the shipping times. Probably a good time to pounce if you can be patient.
Kepler

kerryandbeth Wrote:I bought 3 rounds of cards from COMC since April.  Total paid was about $400 for over $1,000 Beckett value.  Shipping and toploaders included but 3-month wait on shipping (coming this month and December).
Yea-- so much for COMC 3 month shipping. I have 4 orders that are going on 4 months now still nothing yet. emailed them once and was told it would be marked as need to be rushed as it was passed due but 2 weeks later still nothing.