`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ebay buyer scam.

Ebay buyer scam.
Heads up everyone. I have had a message from ebay twice this month for the same seller that cards were purchased that he did not authorize. Used name blong13777. Seems to me the buyer has found a new way to get his money back. Feedback seems to indicate that he has been buying cards on Ebay for 10+ years. How long has he been running this scam I wonder.

RE: Ebay buyer scam.
Unfortunately, this does not surprise me. Recently, I've joined some ebay scammer groups on FB as well as a trading card scammer group on FB. We all know that scams happen and ebay certainly makes the environment very conducive to scamming for "buyers."

After joining these groups, and while I knew it happened, it's unreal to actually SEE the number of scammers and what goes on. And this is likely only a very small percentage of scams that I'm actually seeing.

Seems a lot of people were claiming unauthorized purchases ("my kid bid") on basketball cards as they bought the cards right before the player/team was bounced from the playoffs and now they have buyers remorse as the card isn't "hot" anymore.

It's unreal to see people dishing out thousands upon thousands of dollars for a card of a guy who doesn't even have a complete season under his belt. Meanwhile, I'm over here buying my low grade pre-war HOFers for less than $50 and totally happy with it. :-)

EDIT: By "scammer groups" I mean groups where sellers post the usernames/instances of buyers scamming them.

Thanks, another to add to my long list
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

I guess I'm not following ... you mean they want their money back after they receive the card?

Great, send it back, then you'll get your money back.

Or they're sending you back a damaged version of the card you sent them?

Or they want their money before they send the card back?

Oh well, just another reason I avoid Doosh Bay.

I think that they bid on a card an win and then have second thoughts or get the card cheaper and say they did not authorize the bid and want to cancel.  Ebay usually sides with the buyer and then we, the sellers, lose on the card, $ and time.
That is my take..has happened to me..but very very rarely thank goodness

rjcj2017 Wrote:I guess I'm not following ... you mean they want their money back after they receive the card?

Great, send it back, then you'll get your money back.

Or they're sending you back a damaged version of the card you sent them?

Or they want their money before they send the card back?

Oh well, just another reason I avoid Doosh Bay.
The message I got from Ebay seemed to say to me that they contacted their credit card and said the payments were not authorized.

hckydv7 Wrote:The message I got from Ebay seemed to say to me that they contacted their credit card and said the payments were not authorized.
I wonder how many times he's done that and if/when credit card companies start thinking something suspicious is going on.

Another one that's going on more often right now is people are buying raw cards that are gradable, claiming damage upon arrival, and then sending back lower quality versions of the card in its place.
Kepler

jaredhuizenga Wrote:Another one that's going on more often right now is people are buying raw cards that are gradable, claiming damage upon arrival, and then sending back lower quality versions of the card in its place.
I have pretty much stuck with numbered cards when selling on ebay - probably it's been about 4 years since sold any cards anyway.

My numbered cards rule goes with any graded cards also.  No #, no grade.

bonds20001 Wrote:I think that they bid on a card an win and then have second thoughts or get the card cheaper and say they did not authorize the bid and want to cancel.  Ebay usually sides with the buyer and then we, the sellers, lose on the card, $ and time.
That is my take..has happened to me..but very very rarely thank goodness
Holy crap, they don't even make the buyer return the card?

I think I'm still missing something.