`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Do you have to work at keeping this a hobby?

RE: Do you have to work at keeping this a hobby?
kerryandbeth Wrote:2 years ago my PC reached the $50,000 mark per Beckett.  This did not include all the 'n/a' cards for various reasons, so perhaps it was closer to a total value of $55K.  Anyway, I started trading in others' favor and giving away cards (many posts in the forum about this) while still purchasing a couple of products each of those two years.

My collection value stayed the same.  Then I threw away over 3,000 base cards, sold some at huge discounts, and started doing online breaks of Elite Extra Edition.

My collection value stayed the same.  Last week I donated nearly 5,000 cards, sold some at discounted prices on COMC, and used some of the funds to buy singles for my PC, stopped buying hobby boxes and no online breaks since February.

My collection value is still the same after some value increases this week.  So, it is tough to not get caught up in the value of the collection and to stay focused on my PC as a hobby.  I have to keep reminding myself that an increase in any particular card is nice but not the goal or reason to change it.

There are 6 boxes of 2020 Bowman Sterling on its way that I purchased at $200/box back in February.  They sell for over $300/box now and may contain some really nice autos.  It will be difficult to keep those cards as a hobby and not get caught up in the hype if I get a numbered auto of Wander Franco or Jared Kelenic or Jasson Dominguez or Luis Robert or Fernando Tatis Jr., or many other prospects and rookies in this product.

Therefore, after countless efforts to be generous with my collection, is my value still the same as a reward, or is it a dirty trick to keep me working hard to maintain a hobby I love?
There have been times when I’ve asked myself “why am I doing this?”. When it no longer becomes a hobby I enjoy, I take a break from it. Eventually, I”ll get hooked back in. Right now, it’s difficult for me to get into collecting. Alot of the stuff I would want (i.e. Tiffany rookies, HOF minor league cards, early Michael Jordans, 95 Bowmans Best boxes) is more than I’m willing to pay.
Collecting 2010 Bowman, 80s oddball rookies, and '89 Griffeys.

OK I will finally wade into this thread.

Before I stopped collecting in the early 2000's, I was more of a player collector, and enjoyed trying to acquire as many Kirby Pucketts as I could.

When I resumed collecting in around 2015, I came back in at a time when hits were guaranteed in boxes and autographs were much easier to pull. One of my kids pulled a 2015 Bowman Black Auto of Gleyber Torres and once I saw the value of that, that's when the excitement of pulling something of value became my main motivator. I thought about starting up a Buxton PC, but it seemed like a daunting task which would have been more like a chore than a fun hobby.

The thrill of opening packs of cards is what keeps me interested.

jbissell Wrote:OK I will finally wade into this thread.

Before I stopped collecting in the early 2000's, I was more of a player collector, and enjoyed trying to acquire as many Kirby Pucketts as I could.

When I resumed collecting in around 2015, I came back in at a time when hits were guaranteed in boxes and autographs were much easier to pull. One of my kids pulled a 2015 Bowman Black Auto of Gleyber Torres and once I saw the value of that, that's when the excitement of pulling something of value became my main motivator. I thought about starting up a Buxton PC, but it seemed like a daunting task which would have been more like a chore than a fun hobby.

The thrill of opening packs of cards is what keeps me interested.
I can spare one of Buxton's autos if you are interested.

kerryandbeth Wrote:I can spare one of Buxton's autos if you are interested.
That would be great! Is there something in particular of mine you'd be interested in in return? 

The one Buxton auto I do have is his 2013 Bowman Sterling, which at the time, I paid $90 for! Needless to say, its lost nearly all of its value, but he's still currently my favorite Twins player!

jbissell Wrote:That would be great! Is there something in particular of mine you'd be interested in in return? 

The one Buxton auto I do have is his 2013 Bowman Sterling, which at the time, I paid $90 for! Needless to say, its lost nearly all of its value, but he's still currently my favorite Twins player!
2016 Topps Museum Collection Signature Swatches Triple Relic Autographs Gold #SSTBB.  You can decide what to send back, if anything.  Someone gave this to me back then and I will pay it forward to you!

Thats pretty awesome! Thanks!

Remind me again what you collect? I know you collect Juan Soto and Max Kepler. Anything else?

jbissell Wrote:Thats pretty awesome! Thanks!

Remind me again what you collect? I know you collect Juan Soto and Max Kepler. Anything else?
Juan Soto, Cody Bellinger, Rafael Devers, Nomar G., Bagwell, Piazza (Dodgers), Ichiro and Griffey and Krlenic (Mariners), Sano, Bryson Stott (not Kepler).  Big Grin

I cant seem to initiate a PM with you, so if you PM me with your address, or we can just go through the conventional trade route, I have a couple of cards that I can offer in return, but just want to make sure you dont have them already.

jbissell Wrote:I cant seem to initiate a PM with you, so if you PM me with your address, or we can just go through the conventional trade route, I have a couple of cards that I can offer in return, but just want to make sure you dont have them already.
i sent you a PM but you might have to delete some old messages to make room.