`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: What should the Bengals do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Draft Burrows
66.67%
8 66.67%
Draft Tua at 1
8.33%
1 8.33%
Draft Young at 1
8.33%
1 8.33%
Trade out and pick a QB later (Herbert, Tua, Love, Fromm, etc)
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bengals are on the clock, and they...

The Bengals are on the clock, and they...
What should the Bengals do? I've heard some interesting thoughts on what they should do. The obvious choice is to take Burrows. He looks like a very good QB (though I'm not sold on him becoming elite yet). Someone who could lead a franchise to playoff wins, and maybe further with the right help. However, they are far from just needing a QB to compete.

Some people are also on the Tua bandwagon. 2 years ago I was in the minority when I picked the Browns to take Mayfield over the other big names. I don't feel that way about Tua. He just has so many injuries, I'd be nervous about taking him #1 when my team needs a ton of work, including the offensive line. Bringing in a bridge QB to take the hits in year one could be an option I guess.

Then, there could be an argument made that you take the best player in the draft class...which seems to be universally considered to be Chase Young. He would make an immediate impact on the team, and would be the piece to build around for years. It's also probably not going to raise your win total a whole lot, so you'd have a chance potentially to draft a qb next year.

The last option I've heard, and can see an argument for, is trying to trade out of the pick and collect a ton of compensation, whether its a team that wants Young or Burrows. Maybe picks, maybe players and picks. They could potentially draft a less sure guy still this year, while filling some of the other holes on the team, and taking a swing at Lawrence or someone else next year, if this year's guy doesn't work out.

So what do you guys think? Put on your GM hats, and give me your thoughts!

RE: The Bengals are on the clock, and they...
Bengals are notoriously cheap. I can't see them wanting to pay for a QB's second contract. But high pick QBs put butts in seats, jerseys on backs, and corporate sponsorships flowing. I say they draft Burrow, gets his 5th year exercised, and walks in FA 2025. They get a high comp pick which they use on a CB with questionable off the field issues that causes locker room issues by 2027 which sets the stage for the return of MARVIN LEWIS.

Bookmark this page now and set a reminder January 1, 2028 to gaze in wonderment at my uncanny predictions.

Not the fun answer, for sure, but I have to go with Occam's Razor and say the simplest answer is most often correct. I think they take Burrows. It's fun to do the what-ifs, but I think they'll keep it simple, pick the talented kid with the hometown ties in the attempt to rejuvenate the fan base.

Like you said, though, they're more than a quarterback away. On offense, it's the Joe Mixon show and not much else. Boyd isn't a true #1 receiver and Green is likely on the move, along with Eifert. Their defense was bottom 10 in most categories.

They have roughly $44 million in cap space, which is middle of the road (releasing Dalton will free up $17m more). And no additional draft picks other than their own 7, with no compensatory picks projected.

Hell, if anything I'd take your suggestion of drafting Young/trading down for a king's ransom, getting a bridge QB, still pick towards the beginning in 2021 and take Lawrence, Fields or whoever the next Joe Burrow to shoot up draft boards is.
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

Burrows - he's from Southern Ohio and therefore much more likely to be actually interested in playing for Cincy than most top quarterbacks

and while Young is the safest pick, you have to take the risk of getting a franchise quarterback

Burrows is the most NFL ready QB in the draft, by a wide margin - the have to take him at that spot. Would love them to trade that pick to Carolina for Cam, but that's a fantasy of mine so I can get Cam out of NC. Besides they (Cincy) needs something to counter the buzz around division rivals CLE (Baker) and BAL (Lamar).
*I MUST SEND FIRST*
Not interested in GU or AUTO - base, base, base!!!

Baseball - Whit Merrifield, Wil Myers, Yadier Molina
Football - Brady Quinn, Landry Jones, Terry Bradshaw
Basketball - JJ Redick, Dr. J, Bill Walton

Great thoughts everyone, and I can agree with every one of them...except JP...my memory isn't good enough to remember this in 2028...You'll have to remind us :p

I personally think that drafting Burrows will be a mistake for the Bengals, not becuase of Burrows, but because he won't be set up to succeed. A weak O-line (even with Jonah Williams returning), two basically #2 wide receivers in Tate and Boyd, and a porous defense that has to face the crazy offenses in the AFC North. I'm guessing they'll take him anyways, but I just think building a better team here and drafting a QB next year would be the way to go if they want to compete. Time will tell! The hometown kid playing for his hometown team is a pretty good story line though. But so would Young staying in Ohio lol.

(02-20-2020, 11:36 AM)toploader1976 Wrote: Burrows is the most NFL ready QB in the draft, by a wide margin - the have to take him at that spot.
I would not say by a wide margin. Tua is at lease as NFL ready, injuries not withstanding. Remember, Burrow had one good (okay outstanding) season, but was average a year ago and had to transfer before that because he couldn't crack the starting lineup over the also-not-NFL-ready Dwayne Haskins.
Collect BARRY SANDERS, Tom Brady, Bama Alums and Randy Moss
[Image: cfFrftN.png]
I only give DC for trades over $50

(02-21-2020, 02:30 PM)foleylion08 Wrote: I would not say by a wide margin. Tua is at lease as NFL ready, injuries not withstanding. Remember, Burrow had one good (okay outstanding) season, but was average a year ago and had to transfer before that because he couldn't crack the starting lineup over the also-not-NFL-ready Dwayne Haskins.
This is why I pause with the Bengals taking Burrows...He looks like a good to above average QB at best from what I've seen so far, but he's going to need help. I like the saying that I hear I think from Danial Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks, some guys are trucks, some are trailers. I don't think any QB in this class is going to elevate a team by himself. I think Bengals are setting him up for failure at this point. But it's still early, so I'm interested to see how things go through the process.

Any team that picks this high in the draft has issues.

Burrow was a great player last year.

He's from Ohio.

So are the Bengals.

This is not difficult.